Forums Latest Members

Recommendation to restore/service 1957 polerouter date ?

1. bbbala Aug 22, 2018

Am new here, please be gentle. My dad was original owner of this 1957 Universal Genève polerouter and am keen for recommendations who can service and repair it. I am based in Melbourne. It still works but has lots of scratches on the face which was replaced years ago after suffering a crack.

Feel free to share any other nuggets of information I should consider whilst doing this.

I have visited some local Swiss watch stores without luck , ie monards etc

Thanks F4E56A71-E0D4-409A-BC8D-440DF236BAF9.jpeg

Edited Aug 22, 2018
  2. Dan S Aug 22, 2018

I suspect that the scratches are just on the crystal, not the dial, and the crystal can just be polished. You can even do it yourself with polishing compound like Polywatch, Novus 2, or something similar. You would want to look for an independent watchmaker if the watch needs repair. There are some Australian members who can give you specific recommendations.

superfly likes this.
  3. Theluglife Nov 2, 2018

4. sdre Nov 2, 2018

5. GuiltyBoomerang Nov 2, 2018

@sdre not quite, I do know a few based in Sydney and have heard good work of Mr Lewis in Perth.

6. queriver Nov 3, 2018

Have you tried asking Watch Gallery at 337 Lt Collins and Watch Time in Block Arcade? As independent vintage watch retailers they should be able to recommend a local repairer. There's also a small vintage watch shop the same side of Collins Street as Monards but I think closer to Spring Street. Out of the CBD, I recall going past a vintage watch/jewellery shop on Toorak Road South Yarra (between Chapel St and Punt Rd, south side) but it was a while ago and a MEL forum member is probably more up to date about whether it's still there. Other than that, agree with @GuiltyBoomerang there are some in SYD who would do the job for you.

bbbala likes this.
  7. MarktheTime Nov 3, 2018

8. Tempus Nov 4, 2018

I have used Michael Presser for two heirloom watches. Top guy and great service although slightly pricey. He is located in Collins St. www.precisiontiming.com.au

As per "queriver", Chris at Watch Gallery will also give you a good reccomendation.

queriver likes this.
  9. Tempus Nov 4, 2018

Don't forget to post before and after shots. Good luck.

10. waXology Nov 4, 2018

Out there idea, but if you don't manage to find someone you like I'm back in Sydney (from London) in the new year. More than happy to collect for you and deliver to someone of your choice here in the UK/Europe.

bbbala and CafeRacer like this.
  11. bbbala Feb 25, 2019

Thanks for the replies will visit some of those recommended to gauge their views. Will keep you updated.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 25, 2019

13. bbbala Feb 26, 2019

Thanks for you replies. I have decided to leave it with Watch gallery. Seemed very knowledgable and loved the watch. I will upload before and after pics once done.

14. peripatus Feb 26, 2019

Support here for Michael Presser at precision timing. He used to operate out of Canterbury Clocks but that business has long since changed hands and doesn't have the best reputation. Rory MacDonald used to be very good but something seems to have gone wrong lately. Huge waiting periods for anyone who is good these days.

If you haven't already done it bbbala, have a read of Archer's posts on matters related to watch service. I suspect there's a lot of ordinary work being done out there and probably very little genius stuff.

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 26, 2019

I spoke to Rory MacDonald the other day. He is snowed under with a huge backlog and isn't taking on any more jobs at the moment.
    If the job with Chris can't be done another option is Ekselman at 209 Elizabeth St.

16. peripatus Feb 27, 2019

Rory has serviced an aero clock twice for me now. The first time was 6 years ago and I've just got the same clock back after its second service. I won't go into details here but the glass was installed incorrectly and on the first day I had the clock at home, the second hand came loose. Close examination clearly showed a tacky shortcut had been used and accepted practice ignored. Rory seems like quite a nice bloke but I won't be going back.

17. bbbala Mar 6, 2019

I expect to pick up my watch next week, can’t wait. Where can I confirm the dimensions for a new leather strap. I’ve noted from others that 18mm width is suited but nothing on thickness of strap?

Any recommendations are welcome.

18. Theluglife Mar 6, 2019

Can't wait to see the results. Please let us know approximate cost as well please. I have a polerouter I've been meaning to get serviced too

19. CafeRacer Mar 7, 2019

nice ref. 204503-2, looking forward to see the results :thumbsup:

20. bbbala Apr 12, 2019

34C146FC-9299-4ABA-9BDB-C6A9FF954668.jpeg
    Here is my finished product. Very happy with it and works a treat. I have a brown alligator strap also but they are difficult to put on given the shape of the lugs. The patina has a distinctive look too, which I personally like.

Thanks everyone for your advice