Forums Latest Members

Recommendation on where to overhaul

1. keita Sep 6, 2014

I have a 90s (I believe) seamaster with caliber 1120 that I want serviced/overhauled.

I live in the Portland oregon area and I don't seem to be able to find a watchmaker locally so I will have to ship it somewhere. I did look at nearby places like chronodeco, who told me doesn't really work on post 80s watch. Nesbit in Seattle quoted me $635 for my 70s caliber 1012 seamaster and that new ones are a "little less", which seems just as expensive as sending it to omega.

I know that some members are watchmakers here. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations on a shop that can do my overhaul including cleaning, pressure test, etc for a reasonable price.
    -keita[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2014

Not sure what you consider a reasonable price, but pretty much any watchmaker should be able to service this for you.

3. g-boac Sep 7, 2014

I can HIGHLY recommend Al Archer (Archer). He has serviced SEVERAL Omega watches for me, both modern and vintage, and this includes two vintage calibre Ω321 Omega Speedmaster Professionals.

Al's technical knowledge and communication are outstanding. You receive a FULL service report, documented with photographs, of service performed.

If you visit his website, www.archerwatches.ca, you will note that he is a Watchmaker, in the true, correct sense of the word: not only servicing watches, but building unique pieces.

You will find the highest level of endorsement, from many of the most discerning Omega enthusiasts, for Al on both this and other forums. Other independent options exist as well; Nesbit's which you mentioned is one of them.

For more recent timepieces like yours, the Omega Service Center is also an option to consider; however, if you have specific needs such as NOT wanting your hands, dial, or crown replaced or case not polished, you must let them know up front. Their service goal is to get your watch running AND looking like it came from the factory. For new timepieces, people typically appreciate that. They will also service vintage timepieces, however, as pieces move more toward the vintage end, their owners accept the wear and tear, and prefer the same hand on the watch that's told the time for the past 50 years, even if that hand might be a little spotted, or have a flake or two of paint bubbling off.

Good luck!

ron n likes this.
  4. keita Sep 7, 2014

Thanks. I'll look into omega or archer. You would think all watchmaker might be able to do what I'm looking for but two of them told me they can't pressure test and one said he can't get oem parts so the reason for my asking.

5. msp1518 Sep 7, 2014

Archer is putting together a watch for me right now. He is the man. I can also say Nesbits rocks. I would recommend either over going direct to Omega. You will be traken care of.

6. keita Sep 8, 2014

Thanks for the input fellas

7. ron n Sep 11, 2014

Ship it to Archer, Al did my SMP and it is perfect.

8. fskywalker Sep 13, 2014

I would recommend to avoid Omega due to higher cost and longer waiting time. There are many good watchmakers out there, had recently had a Rolex ladies datejust and an Omega 2561.80 overhauled by A&S services in Florida. PM me if you want more details.

Arkarus likes this.
  9. yande Sep 18, 2014

Hi Keita,
    That's strange, even the Mister Minit (Australia) at our local Mall, can do a Pressure Test. And we live in a little coastal village! I can understand the OEM parts problem though. Parts are getting more and more restricted by more and more Watch companies as they move toward monopolising and controlling what they consider "their" repair industry..

Good luck, and yes, Al (Archer) is not only extremely gifted as a watch maker, he is a true gentleman who shares a lot of his info with us mere mortals here!

Did you happen to read this thread?

http://omegaforums.net/threads/mk-ii-speedy-project.16554/#post-179810

One of the best threads I have read concerning horology...