Forums Latest Members

Recommendation for co-axial regulation?

1. dramsey Oct 30, 2016

The Seamaster 300 I bought late last year has never kept very good time, consistently running fast. When it reached 15+ seconds per day I sent it in to the official Swatch Group service center for regulation. After about a month, they returned it after performing a full service (which apparently included some new parts). The watch was refinished and except for wear on the brown leather band looks brand new.

Too bad it still gains 15+ seconds per day.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a third party service center than can regulate a co-axial movement? My local watchmaker doesn't want to touch it.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 30, 2016

I would take it back to Swatch - as much as they didn't appear to solve the problem the fist time around, you don't want to void your warranty by having someone else work on it.

And if your local guy doesn't want to do it, don't push him - these are quite different to work on than a regular Swiss lever escapement watch, so you should find someone that has experience working on these. Since we have no idea what country or region you are in, it will be pretty difficult to make any recommendations...

w.finkenstaedt likes this.
  3. dramsey Oct 30, 2016

I'm in Reno, Nevada, USA.

I'm disinclined to give Swatch another chance, but might have no option.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 30, 2016

Well, up to you, just pointing out you would void the warranty in the process. I would make sure you are actually measuring the timing correctly though first. Compare to a known good time source, make sure the watch u=is fully wound, not measure it over too short of a period, etc.

As for alternatives, don't have a specific one, but you can find other watchmakers that may be able to assist you here at the AWCI directory:

http://www.awci.com/

Click on the link titled “Find a Professional” and you can search by location for an alternate watchmaker. I would suggest contacting the person you are considering and making sure they are comfortable with the specific services you need, and then seek out feedback from those who have used this watchmaker.

Pun and w.finkenstaedt like this.
  5. w.finkenstaedt Oct 30, 2016

Which service center did you send it to? LA? NJ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. dramsey Oct 30, 2016

New Jersey. It was returned with a service card noting "Your watch has been serviced and returned to factory specifications", and lists the "Avg. Rate" as +03.6 sec/day".

Perhaps the seconds are longer in New Jersey.

In any case, using the awci link provided by Archer, I've found someone in Portland that seems competent.

mozartman likes this.
  7. korenje Oct 31, 2016

do you measure watch on 6 hours, or 12 hours? my chinese watch (might be fake or might be not, can't read the brand ;)) is doing one day +15s, second day -15s, so it's on average +1s/day ;)

8. dramsey Oct 31, 2016

24 hours, but that's a good point: I should look at the timekeeping over several days.

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 31, 2016

Take it off. Wind it fully i.e. for 60 strokes or so. Look at the Time.is website. Set the watch exactly. Wear for 2 days. Check the time against time.is 2 days later. If the delta in time is more than about 10s (5 per day average) then yes you have an issue. If not you need worry no more.

Edited Oct 31, 2016
  10. bags1971 Oct 31, 2016

I've just had to re-send my 18k gold sea-master back they had it 9 weeks gave it a full service. Came back in a worse state than I sent it, date not working bezel loose marks on strap which wern't there when sent.

If you call them they will send out a prepaid package fully insured.

11. MIDASCHEN Oct 31, 2016

Or if you're on iOS give Watch Tracker app a go.

12. korenje Oct 31, 2016

13. AlphonseJr Mar 14, 2017

+15 spd on a co axial movement? This is far too much. Did you have it fixed?

14. M'Bob Mar 15, 2017

If you're stuck on the GW. Maybe Christie can shed some light on that...

15. ohmzx Mar 15, 2017

Chang to different OB for a different repair guy. 3rd party will void your warranty!