Forums Latest Members
  1. AustinCambridge Apr 29, 2020

As a relative newcomer, I learn so much from this OF community. Would like to hear what you all expect when you see a watch for sale listed as “recently serviced”.

is that opening the case and a quick look with a little lubricant? Is that full disassembly and replacement of any worn items?

When I’ve sent my SMP to Omega for service, it was clearly a thorough rebuild given the little bag of parts that came home with it. For vintage watches sold here on OF, what level of completeness is expected?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts

2. TDBK Apr 29, 2020

Unless the seller can give you details on who did the service and the extent of it, usually with accompanying details such as a warranty from the watchmaker, presume that it doesn't mean anything more than that the watch appears to be running.

People here will say that it should mean more, and they're right, but most sellers don't care and don't have any real minimum standard for making the claim.

AustinCambridge likes this.
  3. Donn Chambers Apr 29, 2020

“Recently serviced” in a sales ad means nothing to me unless it is accompanied by a receipt from a watchmaker, with a date, listing a full service and/or overhaul. In that case, I would trust it had been properly serviced on that date.

without that info, “recently” could mean in the last decade, and “serviced” could mean The seller opened the case, saw the movement wasn’t rusted, and regulated the timing so it isn’t loosing a minute a day and will fool you into thinking it’s working well until it is too late to return.

Sans any supporting paperwork, I assume a “recently serviced” watch will need a service and will pay accordingly.

DaveK, AustinCambridge and efauser like this.
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 29, 2020

Unless the seller provides tangible proof from the watchmaker that it was serviced, assume it wasn't serviced.

5. AustinCambridge Apr 29, 2020

Thank you.

Assuming a valuable vintage watch has no service history and appears to be running okay when you buy it, do you send in for service regardless just to be sure to preserve any hard to find parts?

How much would you mentally budget for that kind of service? (understanding there always could be surprises)

6. mac_omega Apr 29, 2020

Yes, absolutely!

7. TDBK Apr 29, 2020

It depends. Ideally yes, one would do preventative maintenance on watches on a regular basis (every 5-10 years seems to be the consensus), including when purchased without a known service history, but many people here acquire watches regularly enough that they don't tend to bother if the watch is running okay. As you note, you can consider the rarity of parts as a part of this: if it's a watch with a common movement, it's not as risky to push the envelope.

Servicing prices vary, I live in NYC and tend to pay a lot more than some other posters who have some wizened guy they've been going to for years. I would start with the presumption that it will be hundreds of dollars, depending on the watch and need for parts. Also, plan for the service to take weeks, maybe many weeks.

8. asrnj77 Apr 29, 2020

From my own recent experience I bought a watch on eBay about two months ago. The seller said it had been serviced two years ago but sometimes the movement was “sticking”. I didn’t know what that meant but I factored a service into the price and had it sent directly to my watchman. He indicated that the watch had not been serviced in a long time based on the condition of the oils and the dirtiness. He serviced it, pressure checked it, and cleaned it up.

as others have said if there isn’t paperwork it didn’t happen. The other thing I’ve seen is somebody who gets a link taken out of the bracelet or a battery changed in a quartz, at the Mall key and watch shop and considers it “serviced”.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 29, 2020

If you are going to be spending $3000 have a $3500 budget.

Flippers don’t service watches and always use the term runs well

Dealers look for the cheapest fix to have it running. ( unless they have paperwork ) and always use the term recently serviced.

Don’t know the service history means it needs a service if you want to wear it every day.

10. Aquariusmatic Apr 29, 2020

Receipt not older than 4 years, old parts if exchanged if available and maybe an up to date vibrograph reading on the watch... Anything else I always counted be it a Camera a Gun or a Watch as non serviced.

11. AustinCambridge Apr 29, 2020

Thank you, very helpful. One local watchmaker I’ve met has an 8 month waitlist, which has forced me to consider if it’s necessary.

12. AustinCambridge Apr 29, 2020

Such great feedback, didn’t reply directly to everyone but appreciate your comments.

Here’s the beauty that has me contemplating proactive service even though running nicely.

7BB099FD-3FBB-405C-96AA-1130CA85C3A9.jpeg

13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 29, 2020

This probably isn't a coincidence!

"Recently serviced" means "I know it's overpriced and I can't come up with jack to justify it."

14. Dan S Apr 29, 2020

DaveK likes this.
  15. AustinCambridge Apr 29, 2020

16. chichi Apr 29, 2020

"vibrograph reading"

at what point does one buy a meter? when you have more than five watches? apart from the OCD jokes

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 29, 2020

I have 50+ watches and don’t have one.

Basically when you become a

E099046A-661D-4934-B22C-879633F69151.jpeg

ZIELSZIEK, Mark020 and Aquariusmatic like this.
  18. Aquariusmatic Apr 30, 2020

It's free at most German and Croatian watchmakers I visit, or a simple and small fee. I do it before listing anything not to embarrass myself with "running good" "running strong" "precise" and then seeing +5minutes per day on a 10 year old watch...

19. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Apr 30, 2020

If a seller states only that it is running within COSC specs definitely factor in a service :D

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 30, 2020

"Up to date" and "Vibrograph" in the same sentence - not something you see every day! ;)

chichi likes this.