Forums Latest Members
  1. Fel Mar 29, 2021

Hi everyone, long time lurker first time post. I recently got my 3570.50 serviced and it was running perfectly for the first three months but then started having issues. I had it put on a timing machine this weekend and it looks like it is +5 no matter what but when the chrono is off the amplitude drops considerably and the timekeeping is poor. Does anyone know what the issue could be? My watchmaker is great and has serviced multiple watches for me but for some reason my Speedy has had a few issues since the service. I plan on taking the watch back to him since his work is under warranty but just wanted to see if anyone knew what could cause something like a steep amplitude drop with the chrono on.

2. Dan S Mar 29, 2021

Maybe you can give the actual numbers? What is the amplitude before and after? What do you mean by poor timekeeping?

3. Fel Mar 29, 2021

Sure thing, here are the actual readings. As far as poor timekeeping all the watchmaker at the omega boutique said was that with the chrono on the drop in amplitude would result in the watch keeping poor timing no matter what.

reading.jpg
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 29, 2021

Well, technically the watch is within specs, but there are a couple of things that bother me. So when the "watchmaker" at the boutique did this test, I assume he fully wound the watch, but did he then wait for 30 minutes before taking these readings? That is what Omega procedures dictate should be done.

Also, for him to make a blanket statement that the chronograph being on will automatically mean poor timekeeping, I wonder if this is an actual watchmaker. Do they perform full services there? If not, this may be a "boutique technician" who is essentially a salesperson who has had a bit of extra training, rather than a fully trained watchmaker.

The fully wound horizontal amplitude on the right slip is quite high - not completely unusual as these tend to have quite high amplitudes sometimes., However the two vertical amplitudes are much lower than I would expect to see given how high the horizontal amplitude is.

Omega specifications allow the balance amplitude to drop as much as 40 degrees when you turn the chronograph on for an 861/1861. The horizontal amplitude has dropped basically twice that. The verticals, one is less than 40, and the other went up. Again, these readings are very odd.

So to me, I would question if the service on your watch was done properly or not...

ChrisN and Scooterino36 like this.
  5. Fel Mar 29, 2021

Thank you for the response Archer and for the detailed explanation about the amplitude. The Omega employee is an actual watchmaker, not a technician, but they do not perform services at the boutique. I had a feeling something was off but did not want to bring the watch back in to my watchmaker without getting some advice first. This would be the second time I've brought the watch back in since its service and this is the second issue that has popped up. Last time he mentioned if something happened again he would have to just take the movement apart again and re do everything to see what the issue could be. Unfortunately it looks like that is what he is going to need to do.

Edited Mar 29, 2021
  6. Fel Apr 8, 2021

Just wanted to thank Archer for the detailed analysis again. My watchmaker took my watch back and saw the issue with the amplitude drop with the chrono on. He is going to re do the service and replace any needed parts under warranty. Thanks to Omega Forums also for being such a valuable resource.

Edited Apr 8, 2021
    Major74 likes this.
  7. abgul Apr 8, 2021

Archer the mvp!

8. Fel Jun 18, 2021

Resurrecting an old post but I got my watch back a few weeks ago and the issue was fixed. Accuracy is pretty much dead on too so very happy with the result. Thanks to everyone who chimed in on my post.

Archer and rob#1 like this.