Forums Latest Members
  1. tturner770 Dec 4, 2017

Hi, I recently purchased this Seamaster for a relatively low price. I was looking for one to wear daily, so I wanted one that had some wear, etc. so I wouldn't feel bad if/when I add to the scratches. I would like opinions as to the originality/correctness of the watch. Since I like the looks and will be wearing it a lot, my feelings won't be hurt too badly to learn if it is a bit of a Frankenwatch. Of course, original is better! I plan on leaving the case as is - not polishing the case. The crystal does have a lot of scratches (the harsh lighting on the pictures makes it look worse than usual), and I'll probably polish or replace the crystal. It also appears that some water has gotten inside the case since there is some corrosion/discoloration of the movement, stem, etc. The watch does run and keeps accurate time. I'll definitely have the watch serviced though before wearing it. The dial doesn't look refinished to me (though I could be wrong), but it does look like the lume has been redone. The thing I'm most unsure of is decoding the model number from the caseback. That is 2635-8 SC. I know that the "SC" means that it should have a central second hand, but I'm not sure about the rest of the numbers. As I understand it, the 2 means that it is a Seamaster. The 6 should indicate the case material - In this case, I read somewhere that a 6 would indicate gold filled & stainless steel. This case is all stainless. I don't know what the 35-8 would mean. Any input? As I mentioned, it works and I like the watch, so I'm happy with the watch! Pictures below. IMG_20171202_190610.jpg IMG_20171202_190818.jpg IMG_20171202_191307.jpg IMG_20171202_191345.jpg IMG_20171202_191735.jpg

omegastar likes this.
  2. tturner770 Dec 5, 2017

I forgot to mention the Caliber 354 movement, which seems to be correct. The serial number dates it to 1954.

3. omegastar Dec 5, 2017

Are you working in a graveyard ?

mydeafcat likes this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 5, 2017

Looks like it needed to be serviced about ten years ago.

5. BenBagbag Dec 5, 2017

Good research for a first time post. Doesn't look like a redial. I'd be very very surprised if that watch keeps time though as the movement looks rusty. Not the worst first purchase considering you didn't check in here first but this one has issues (like the ones you pointed out).

A new member came who actually spent the time to research and write up a post. Why ridicule like this?

6. tturner770 Dec 5, 2017

Actually, I do work the Graveyard Shift! ;) I also have a spare nonworking 354 movement for parts, and I'm OK with it being a "project". It's hard to find a watch that's banged up just enough to not worry about wear and tear, but not too bad! LOL Should the case be all stainless as it is, or gold/stainless? Just curious, I'm happy with stainless for a watch I"ll wear a lot! I don't plan on running the watch right now, don't want to damage it any worse than it is! The autowind part works, but when you try to wind it with the stem there are issues. I wound it enough to run about 3 hours and it wasn't dramatically inaccurate. I did know there were issues with the watch when I bought it, so now its waiting for repairs & servicing. I do like the idea of "saving" the watch too ...

7. omegastar Dec 5, 2017

It was meant to be funny, not sarcastic, sorry.

Actually that dial looks like an American market dial.

AveConscientia likes this.
  8. doog Dec 5, 2017

I think you’ve done pretty well there. You’ve scored a watch that will do exactly what you want after a service and a bit of TLC with the Polywatch on the crystal. The only concern I’d have is how tatty the lume appears to be. The 4 o’clock blob seems to be at 5 and the blobs on the cardinals seem very messy. Get redone or get rid of? Up to you but personally I’d get it gone.

9. Fugukraken Dec 11, 2017

I like it; it has history. But the level of corrosion is worrisome. Make sure your watchsmith is comfortable that the case back makes a good seal with the case to slow further deterioration of the caliber.

10. fjf Dec 11, 2017

Looks like a nice watch with some water damage to the movement. Get it cleaned and oiled. The dial looks original but was relumed. Nothing terrible. Clean te case, polish the crystal and enoy it!.

mydeafcat likes this.
  11. ConElPueblo Dec 11, 2017

From those pictures, I'd say that the watch has beel redialed. The text look rather wobbly to me, but it could be an effect of having a very scratched dial - some wet sanding paper grade 1200-2500 and some polishing compound should take care of that :)

The lume has, naturally, been replaced.

AFAIK, there isn't much method in the four digit codes of old Omegas. the "-8" is simply the batch number. You serial number dates the watch to around 1953, making it an early adopter of the more squared off logo.

Oh, and I second the remarks of the movement condition - that thing has suffered! If the water ingress has happened early on, it could be a plausible reason the redialing.

mydeafcat likes this.
  12. fjf Dec 11, 2017

Edited Dec 11, 2017
  13. ClarendonVintage Dec 11, 2017

14. tturner770 Dec 11, 2017

The original pictures I posted are of the watch as received. Because of the scratches on the crystal and the dirt on the dial, I removed the crystal and blew off the dust. Here is a better picture of the dial. At least now you can actually tell which defects are actually part of the dial! (And yes, that lume looks awful!)

seamaster dial.JPG
  15. tturner770 Dec 11, 2017

And at least one of the hour markers (1:00) has scratches on it.

16. Davidt Dec 11, 2017

Ouch. Unfortunately a poor redial. Even as a daily wearer I'd be reluctant to sink too much time and money into this one.

heavenscloud and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  17. dan7800 Dec 11, 2017

Not to side track the thread, but is the missing of "swiss made" an indication of a redial?

18. ICONO Dec 11, 2017

The probable effect of tens of thousands of Gauloises, in smoky Harbour Bars, worn whilst talking with Jean Paul Belmondo, Catherine Deneuve, & the 60’s Jet Set

A one owner catch, from St Tropez……

lando and ClarendonVintage like this.
  19. ConElPueblo Dec 12, 2017

Sometimes... Would depend on the model.

This particular dial variant is very, very often found in redialed condition.

dan7800 likes this.