Forums Latest Members
  1. Snorkelflip Mar 15, 2016

I have recently acquired this 105.012 65 along with a Seamaster 600.
    I'm led to believe that my late father bought the watch in the late 60's in Geneva and proceeded to wear it for the next 20 years in his work as an engineer (as evidenced by the knocked about bezel ;))
    The movement appears in great shape and the watch runs and keeps time nicely despite being stored in a safe since the early 90's.
    There are some engravings in the case back which I am led to believe are a service dates?? The other engraved numbers I have no clue what they are, If someone could clarify this I would be grateful (will have to post a written note of what they say as the camera won't pick them up)
    The watch came on a 7912 bracelet with no 6 end links (which is stretched) but the links are very loose in between the lugs and I have read that this bracelet is for an earlier model.
    The Seamaster came with an after market bracelet and I was wondering if the 7912 may have been for this watch originally??
    The dial has a brown hue towards the edge of the chrono dials but am not sure if this is patina.

In short I would like to know if the bracelet is for this watch, the Seamaster I have or some other sold/undiscovered gem?

What is the meaning of the engravings in the case back?

Many thanks in advance. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

GregH and ConElPueblo like this.
  2. mozambique Mar 15, 2016

The engravings sound like a record of when it was serviced.
    Note the watch may run fine, but likely needs a service (so would not be winding it if it were mine).

Yes, 7912 predates the watch. One in good condition goes for ~$1,200 on its own. #6 end pieces are scarce and have sold on ebay for $2k or so.

3. mozambique Mar 15, 2016

Correct myself. 7912's were made from 1961 to 66, so is period correct for your 1965 105.012. However it would have come with the wider 20mm #516 end pieces, rather than the narrower #6 you have.

4. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 15, 2016

Speedie hour hand is incorrect

5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 15, 2016

I believe that, for the early 105.012, the 7912 bracelet would have used the 16 end links. See below

image.png

6. about3blank Mar 15, 2016

Seconded. Hands look like they might have been replaced by Omega during service. Paint looks a tad too fresh. Plus the different width of the hour hand itself (should be as thin as the minute hand, and the rectangular inner space for the lume should stretch out all the way to the center, like it does with the minute hand.

7. about3blank Mar 15, 2016

PS though chrono second hand lume looks like it might be original? Lume looks correctly aged, and a drop second hand would have likely been switched with a modern flat-end if replaced during service

8. Davidt Mar 15, 2016

Looks like there may be a brown hint to the dial? Very desireable to collectors.

The Speedmaster has a couple of small issues, hour hand and the case has lost definition over the years, but the dial looks lovely and the bezel and case show the wear marks that built up over a lifetime with your dad.

Hopefully you're not thinking of selling this. A good movement service and case clean, should see this last for decades. I'd even be tempted to leave the incorrect hour hand on there as it's obviously been on a while and kinda looks 'right' now.

about3blank likes this.
  9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 15, 2016

I really like the Speedy bezel and dial -- looks very, well, honest! That watch definitely looks like it saw some good use and has a lot of good stories to tell. The case has been polished a bit, but I sure as heck would welcome it as a keepsake and reminder of my father. I think a service by a good watchmaker should be top priority, but be aware it will likely be about $1k.

10. JamieG Mar 15, 2016

The Speedy is worthless, just send it to me to look after ;)

marco and Baz9614 like this.
  11. Snorkelflip Mar 15, 2016

Wow, people really are nice round here! What's your address?

SpikiSpikester, Baz9614 and JamieG like this.
  12. Snorkelflip Mar 15, 2016

;)

JamieG likes this.
  13. about3blank Mar 15, 2016

What I said earlier aside, if this is exactly how my father wore it, then this is *exactly* how I'd wear it.

14. marturx Mar 15, 2016

Why are you wearing such a thick pancake? I thought it was only teenage girls that did that :p

15. Snorkelflip Mar 15, 2016

To try and hide my large nose!

JamieG likes this.
  16. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 15, 2016

Good luck snorkel

17. Snorkelflip Mar 15, 2016

Thanks!
    That hour hand has been staring at me for the past 2 hours! Hadn't even noticed they were different.