Forums Latest Members

Recently Acquired Speedmaster Mark III Professional

1. corporalq Nov 3, 2016

So I recently bought this ?1973? Speedmaster Mark III. I have been drawn to the odd shape of the case on these Omegas for a while now. I think I got a pretty good deal on this one. I am a little gun shy about posting it on here for more information because I don't want my high to be deflated. I am on the fence about getting it restored by Omega. I like the look because I think it shows what this watch has been through but at the same time, I would like to give it a new life. it is keeping very good time and the chronograph works perfectly. I haven't gotten a quote yet from my local Omega boutique so I am a little concerned by what it might cost me to get it restored. All of the being said, I have a couple of questions for the long time members on here.

1. What are your opinions on getting it restored?
    2. Do you think the dial can be restored?
    3. Does this look like it is all original?

20161103_090951.jpg 20161103_091004.jpg 20161103_091016.jpg 20161103_091036.jpg 20161103_091052.jpg 20161103_091144.jpg
  2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 3, 2016

Simon Freese at STS is your friend on this one....

They have everything needed to do this, including the parts, the lapping machine + Skills, and the ability to sympathetically restore it without destroying value.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 3, 2016

The OB will replace hands, and polish as part of typical service. They will also want to replace dial and bezel. Watch will come back new looking...and not what you want.

4. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Nov 3, 2016

One question I'd ask myself is "Am I happy to wear the watch as it currently looks or will it sit in a box/sock drawer?"

The difference between damage/degradation and desirable patina has been the subject of much debate. In my opinion, this watch just looks tired and tatty. Sure, the arguement can be made that the wear/damage is part of its history, but it's not your history. If it was mine and funds permitting, I'd want it restored to as near factory condition as possible including hands, dial and inner bezel plus getting the case properly refinished. Will it affect the value to a collector - perhaps.....

But then again, it's not my watch, and the choice is yours.

If you are in the UK, +1 for the suggestion of talking to STS

corporalq likes this.
  5. tyrantlizardrex Nov 3, 2016

6. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Nov 3, 2016

I think your dial is original, but it looks like someone attempted really poor restoration on it and it now needs to be tossed. Normally you see the outer layer of the dial deteriorated and you lose the text or minute marks on these dials, but in this case it looks like someone tried to cover it up with paint or something - like when someone tries to cover up grafitti on a highway bridge. ::facepalm2:: Not a huge deal in this case, as Omega still makes a service dial that matches yours. You can even snag one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Speed...h-Watch-Dial-176-002-/142165586867?rmvSB=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Be very selective about who touches the case, as I've seen Omega trash Mark III cases. I'd want a new bezel but prefer to keep the hands original (at least the needle-tipped minute hand anyway - so maybe you also need to have the hour hand repainted as well). Good luck! I hope to see the "after" pics soon! :thumbsup:

ahartfie and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  7. corporalq Nov 3, 2016

I do agree with you on the restoring to factory condition. I think that is the way that I am leaning.

8. corporalq Nov 3, 2016

9. tyrantlizardrex Nov 3, 2016

As Andy said, hang on to those hands, the needle tip minute has been NLA for a long time.

Keeping an eye on ebay could also net you a NOS dial/bezel... all in the hunt ;)

10. corporalq Nov 3, 2016

I have been "watching" that auction, I was a little hesitant because that dial doesn't have the original "T" markings before and after the Swiss Made at the bottom of the dial.

11. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Nov 3, 2016

I believe Omega charges $910 for these, new hands, pushers,crown crystal. Dial will be extra.

12. Ken G Nov 3, 2016

Find a picture of a restored/NOS example of a Mark III with this dial and compare it to yours as it is now. Then ask yourself which one you'd rather wear on a regular basis. That might help you make your mind up (if you still need a final push :) )

[I'm definitely in the camp of liking my vintage Omegas to be as close to "factory" as possible...]

Mouse_at_Large and corporalq like this.
  13. dialstatic Nov 3, 2016

Is that really paint though? To me, picture 3 looks like the original paint has chipped off or something (at 9 and on the left subdial). Either way, there's no restoring it. Leave as is, or replace. And speaking of which:

Post 1997(-ish) service dials for this reference don't have the T's, because they don't have tritium on 'em anymore (luminova instead).

14. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Nov 3, 2016

True. This signifies that the ebay dial is a modern (or more recent), non-tritium service part. However, my sense is that the market (currently) prefers a nice service dial to a trashed tritium dial, and that the market hasn't (yet) placed a premium price-wise on originality in cal. 1040 watches the way it has for say an Ed White Speedy.

Basically there are four factors at play: Correctness, originality, wearability, and value.

-Correctness - still possible if proper service parts are available.
    -Originality - right now the market won't punish you for swapping damaged parts for new but correct parts on a Mark III, but that might have also been the case for Ed Whites 10 years ago too.
    -Wearability - that's subjective, but it seems that most of us would prefer that watch with the service dial and bezel. Other don't mind the "patina".
    Personally I wouldn't want the dial as it is.
    -Value - Who knows, maybe 5-10 years from now original Mark IIIs in top condition may trade for 5 figures, but your watch is probably not a likely example to be highly sought after in either restored or unrestored condition when that day comes. And there's nothing wrong with that. It will either still be an original, but beat up example or a nice looking but obviously restored example. Not sure what the better route will be from an investment standpoint (I'd wager the difference will be marginal), but it puts you in the position where you can go whichever route you prefer with little potential downside.

15. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Nov 3, 2016

Also, as an aside (and shameless plug) on the "SWISS MADE" vs. "T SWISS MADE T" text:

My website has detailed breakdowns on the differences of text on the dials of cal. 1040 watches. This dial is E4, and I mention that either version (with T or without) is correct. And again, correctness and originality are two different things when it comes to these dials.

However, it should be pointed out that there are few hard and fast rules when it comes to the presence or lack of "T" next to SWISS MADE. Or to the presence or lack thereof of the words "SWISS MADE" on the dial. So I kind of left it without comment on the dial guide, but this topic might be worth a future blog post.

Examples of these inconsistencies include:

-The Big Blue 176.004 dial never had Ts. Maybe it was never tritium, but some other material, though A Journey Through Time explicitly calls it tritium.
    -The blue Mark IV service dial has Ts, though I'm pretty sure it is luminova.
    -A few less common dials (the Speedmaster version of the 176.004 dial and the "SPAM" Mark III dial) don't have "SWISS MADE" at all.
    -Several dials had multiple versions of SWISS MADE text. Some were T vs. no T, some had dashes between the words and the Ts vs. no dash versions.

Ultimately, I didn't allow these variants to be considered their own separate dial types because I'm probably the only person that noticed (and the market appears indifferent), I'm certain that all these variants are "correct" (i.e. made by Omega and not faked), and it would make way too many dial variants.

Ken G, tyrantlizardrex and dialstatic like this.
  16. corporalq Nov 3, 2016

I didn't buy this piece as an investment, so it makes perfect sense for me to just buy a service dial and bezel and be happy with that since after wearing this watch today, I enjoy looking at it and it's wear ability (especially compared to my Planet Ocean Chronograph). I appreciate all of the helpful advice and look forward to the next acquisition (as opposed to my wife)!

17. corporalq Nov 3, 2016

The original paint has chipped off and apparently this case has been opened before because there are no remnants of that chipped paint anywhere inside on the face of the dial.

18. corporalq Nov 3, 2016

@Spacefruit, how can I get in contact with Simon at STS?

19. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Nov 3, 2016