Forums Latest Members

Recently acquired - Longines Weems

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 20, 2015

Greetings to everyone,

modest contribution from a new member here, as a token of appreciation for a Longines forum.
    This recent acquisition took months, many models out there either have replacement dials, incorrect replacement crowns, over polished cases or non working bezel locks (the "second crown").
    Being a woman makes it easy to wear this smaller civilian model (28 mm, crown at 2:00).

As far as I know, the turning bezel is the first ever in the history of watches-- designed to mark elapsed time for aircraft navigation purposes and developed jointly by Longines and the famous pioneer pilot Philip Van Horn Weems. (The magnificent Longines Hour Angle watch being developed later with Lindbergh).

The champaign colored dial came out a nice surprise, looking more interesting in real life than on the seller's pictures. It's almost shimmery, although without bling. Pics below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seller's movement pic (correct 10L movement):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope those pics were good enough despite I phone.
    Best regards,

Sylvie

Edited Dec 20, 2015
    DaveK, ELV web, cicindela and 11 others like this.
  2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 20, 2015

Thanks for posting the photos. It looks nice. The dial shows up best in your last photo. Hope you wear it regularly.

I've always liked the notion of the Longines Weems and have considered purchasing one. There is apparently an Omega Weems as well.

3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 20, 2015

Thanks Noelekal, right now this watch is undergoing thorough observation to figure out if it needs service...
    The Weems is a Longines invention (as you see from the dial on my watch the civilian version was patented for the US market) but you are right there is an Omega Weems -- it's a military issued British WWII pilot watch from the early 40s.
    Difficult to find though, and much more expensive than this one, 1/ because it's a military issued watch, 2/ because it's larger, at 32-33mm.
    You'll find some examples on the web and IIRC a member on this forum posted one in January of this year.

4. marturx Dec 20, 2015

JohnSteed and DirtyDozen12 like this.
  5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 20, 2015

A beautiful watch - worthy of admiration!

JohnSteed likes this.
  6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 20, 2015

Thanks much gents!

Marturx, a very small wrist can be an advantage, it protects me from thinking of 40mm / 46mm lug length chronographs such as the beautiful Lemania Tg195 that's on your avatar !

Congrats on your Omega Weems, it's magnificent too.

7. marturx Dec 20, 2015

Thanks for the compliments!

A closeup on how it looks in the ( winter pale) flesh

image.jpeg

8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 20, 2015

And it's got the most beautiful tropical dial to boot!

9. barmy Dec 21, 2015

Love your Longines Weems. Like to get one to go along with my Hour Angle.

10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 21, 2015

Hey Barmy, thanks-- I seem to recall seeing your hour angle posted some time back on MWR, am I correct? (One hour angle went for restoration in Switzerland- with a lock above the lower lug. was that yours?)
    Captivating watch.

11. barmy Dec 22, 2015

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

This one?

Syrte, VintageNoble and TexOmega like this.
  12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 22, 2015

Yup :)
    Beautiful. (same as the one someone sent to Switzerland).
    What movement do you have in there?
    I've seen several on offer over time (not with this lock though) but thought some must have been put together.

13. barmy Dec 22, 2015

It has a the Longines Calibre 10.68Z in it.
    It was sent the Wittnauer Watch Co., Longines agent in the USA, on 14.12.1938. This info came from Longines.

14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 23, 2015

Thanks much- good to know, and wear it in good health!

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 23, 2015

Being an old "pre-SMS text" curmudgeon, I resist at every opportunity to just lazily punch the letters "OMG".

However, in this case, that watch deserves nothing less than an almighty "OMG"!

Syrte likes this.
  16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 23, 2015

Agreed. I reckon you're talking Barmy's stupendous "Hour Angle" just above... My lil' Weems is nice but not to the point where people would fall off their chair.

17. barmy Dec 23, 2015

18. steelcharlie99 Dec 24, 2015

Sylvie

I have a second-set Weems (10L) nearly identical to yours that was my father's. He got it the year I was born. I'll see about getting a couple pix of it up. Way cool to see another one.

Charlie

Syrte likes this.
  19. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 25, 2015

Hi Charlie,
    really nice that you have one as a family heirloom. Looking forward to seeing it!
    Happy holiday in the meantime, whether you celebrate or if you don't.

S