Forums Latest Members

Recent Scamming/Phishing Attempts. Don't be a Victim!

1. Flintlock Feb 5, 2020

I just noticed, don't all DL photos have a colored background? They do in NJ and FL and they color code for over/under 21. What is it in your state. Additionally, who ever looked that happy in a DL photo?

2. barryzelf Mar 1, 2020

There is a list of trusted sellers here with good reviews. But I understand your concern. Buying in shops is the safest but also the most expensive way.

3. Farmer Mar 1, 2020

Thanks for that Bary, I visit here and the RF most days so I can learn more, I get a tad scared when 'trusted seller" like Chris from Horology house stitch people up,Then there is the issue of establishing the veracity of a seller, even if he/she id on here and has many good transactions. Bit of a problem for a new fella like me.

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 1, 2020

Patience is the second most rewarded virtue in this hobby.
    Slow your roll, participate, get to know people and the golden ones soon become crystal clear.
    Perpetrators are always in a hurry.

cassius66, DaveK, fgriffith and 2 others like this.
  5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 1, 2020

Good people get sick, go crazy, ask any divorced person about their ex.

Good , safe business practices are welcomed by the just. They will ask it of you, also.

cassius66 and SpikiSpikester like this.
  6. danbl68 Mar 1, 2020

Thanks for the heads up. These scammers are getting smarter. But one that is classic and annoying is one I had today.
    "Hello I am interested in purchasing your (watch name). What is the present condition of the watch, has it been under repair before?"

Initially you think okay fair questions......then....."Alright. I am willing to pay your asking price but I'm getting it for my next birthday so I would be paying you up front for the item and shipping fee."
    There is the story, and there is the scam

When I asked to verify Identity, the response was that's not necessary and stopped responding. smh

DaveK likes this.
  7. timecube Mar 1, 2020

What is the most rewarded virtue
    and how can I fake it?

8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 2, 2020

Knowledge!

Haven't figured that one out yet, I look the smartest when I keep my mouth shut.

I do know that a good network of fantastic friends here has exponentially multiplied the knowledge I can draw on.

cassius66, marco, STANDY and 3 others like this.
  9. larryganz The cable guy Mar 2, 2020

Knowledge is knowing what you should do, Wisdom is doing what you know you should.

cassius66, Als 27, DaveK and 4 others like this.
  10. watch3s Mar 17, 2020

Ive been receiving a lot of messages from buyers who are new accounts all with the same thing, looking at your watches. And then they all disappear when references are requested since they have 0 posts, 0 likes no history on this.

11. cheezits Mar 30, 2020

As a new member, the thing that brought me to the forum was a FS post. It's unfortunate that scammers are making this difficult for everyone.

12. SteveHarris Apr 3, 2020

I've had the same thing this morning. 2 brand new accounts that signed up yesterday and both PM'd me within 10 minutes of each other on different watches I've had for sale.

13. KingCrouchy Apr 3, 2020

14. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Apr 3, 2020

Yeah also was contacted by @kingsleyscot17 on a wtb af I have up. Be careful guys - if it's too good to be true it usually is.

15. Woops Apr 4, 2020

Same here. I see his account was taken straight down. Thank you to whichever mod took time out of their Friday night to make this a safe place for everyone.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  16. pongster Apr 4, 2020

Is there recourse if you pay by paypal as a gift?

Why would a scammer prefer paypal to a bankwire?

mayankyadav likes this.
  17. Paulomega Apr 5, 2020

Thank you, guys. I have been contacted by him also from my WTB. He tells me to contact somebody else "anordeliot" saying he is a great seller. Again thanks for the heads up.

18. Amg786s Apr 11, 2020

It's really useful to have these reminders as they happen. Much appreciated

19. CaptainWinsor Apr 14, 2020

20. PolishOmega Aug 13, 2020

That made ma LOL, haha.