Forums Latest Members

Recent Scamming/Phishing Attempts. Don't be a Victim!

1. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 29, 2016

[emoji15]

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 1, 2016

Can't argue with that.

meganfox17 likes this.
  3. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Dec 30, 2016

I'm repeating myself but ill put this here too..

sirimasannasgal_0( 0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network )
    upload_2016-12-30_19-26-1.png

My wrist has never been to Hong Kong!

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 19.22.02.png
    Edited by a mod Dec 30, 2016
    Grk, OMGRLX and olgito like this.
  4. Sculler22 Jan 29, 2017

I believe that she doth protesteth too much.

Edited by a mod Jan 29, 2017
  5. matty1987 Mar 20, 2017

I had someone try to do it today to me! Not cool man

6. golferkid61 Mar 24, 2017

It's becoming harder and harder to distinguish between real and fake not only in terms of the watches themselves but also in the supposed buyers. Food for thought.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 1, 2017

Great to pick Rock Springs. The most remote town imaginable! Nothing but miners and antelope!

8. cipri_222 Apr 16, 2017

Thank you

9. craigbythesea Oct 4, 2017

I have had 2 scam attempts recently. One on another board and one on ebay. The other board offered not filtering or advice. So brilliant to read how active you are.

Both attempts tried to build a rapport saying they were buying for their wives collects. Both looked really odd due to the times the emails were sent. They were meant to be based in the UK but the emails were sent at 5.00am and the grammar was terrible. eBay intercepted the first because they used a dormant account. I headed the other off by insisting on a Paypal transaction because the communication didn't look right. I was willing to accept the Paypal fee for protection.

10. craigbythesea Oct 4, 2017

So they are out there, be vigilant

11. Sublime_1 Oct 4, 2017

I'll give some advise since I work in Cyber Security and deal with this stuff all the time.

Don't ever give out your passwords, no matter how convincing not even system admins need this. (court order aside ;))
    Don't use passwords that are easy. Passphrases are better, random generated passwords are much better, and dual factor authentication is the best. Don't use the same passwords for everything. Keep them different.

Don't just go to websites someone gives your or emails you unless you are sure what it is. If if curiosity has you then run it thru something like https://www.virustotal.com just go to the URL tab and enter the address.

Don't EVER link from any sort of URL shortening like tiny URL. Malware is behind these all the time. You can use http://www.getlinkinfo.com/ to expand the link and scan it for malicious activity.
    Look for the bad lock and https. upload_2017-10-4_19-35-48.png This means it is encrypted. If you don't see it, or its not green, anything you enter is clear text and can be read by anyone who cares to snoop. Including CC#s, SSN, passwords, anything. Interesting side note, the Internet just passed 50% for https sites.

Don't trust email. Other than interoffice/vendor communication I have moved almost completely from email. I honestly check my personal email maybe twice a week or when I'm expecting something. Don't link from email...don't open something you were expecting. We've seen malware than can copy file just by hovering over the link. (On machines that have a security hole)

Be very careful it is very easy to spoof a domain (spoofing is when someone uses someone else's domain name or email address) and it still remains one of the biggest unsolved security issues. Read everything carefully, just like these watches the devil is the details.

Watch your phones! This is one of my pet peeves. People leave their phones just laying around all the time. Look for it next time you go anywhere there is a crowd like a pub. With phone in hand it would literally take me less than 3 minutes to install a rootkit giving me full root access allowing me to play man in the middle with everything you do on the phone.

Update your stuff. Keep all your software, browser and systems updated.

I'll digress, just throwing a bit of unsolicited advice out there for anyone interested.

Cheers everyone!

MedicMike, Rochete, Mac5 and 10 others like this.
  12. Professor Dec 23, 2017

Hi
    I'm the Crown Prince of Nigeria.

13. Jonatan Dec 23, 2017

Well, that would be even better with an avatar. 76 posts and still no avatar? It takes 5 minutes and gives you much more credibility.

mydeafcat likes this.
  14. Professor Dec 23, 2017

Well excuse me but credibility in what context? I mentioned when i first joined that I was not a collector as such just a guy who owns a Omega that needs work and a new case.
    I've enjoyed being a member here and some seem to like my input.
    I've learned a lot about how watches work and what it needed to keep them running.
    I haven't tried to sell anyone anything.

My PC blew a gasket months ago and I had to do a full OS recovery deleting all apps. I can't load images from my camera till I find and re install the software.

I could dig up an avatar of some sort I suppose, but just haven't given it any thought. A random image of some guy standing out in a field taking notes does not inspire much in the way of confidence.

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 23, 2017

Here’s a suggestion:

[​IMG]

The Professor from Gilligan’s Island.
    gatorcpa

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 23, 2017

That'll end in tears, just like it did for Captain Risky.

(See at 50 secs or so)

Supah likes this.
  17. Professor Dec 23, 2017

Actually that's where the nickname came from. My tinkering with practically anything mechanical in school, and making things explode now and then (sometimes on purpose sometimes not),resulted in friends calling me the Professor.
    Once made a cutting torch from a carbon pencil. I used a shaving mirror to replicate Archimedes experiments, stinging people on the school grounds a hundred feet from the class room window, they thought it was bees. Can't seem to find shaving mirrors with that much focal length
    these days.

Anyone else here ever read "the Boy Mechanic" ?

18. mayankyadav Dec 23, 2017

hehe.. he sounded so desperate

Grk likes this.
  19. Jonatan Dec 24, 2017

I apologize for being harsh. In my opinion taking a few minutes of your time and adding an avatar means a commitment to this forum and shows that you’re here to stick around. I didn’t mean that your remarks where not credible but simply that you will gain more respect and credibility from other members if you add an avatar. Yes a picture of a random man in a field such as Norman Borlaug a Noble peace prize winner and the father of the green revolution or a fuzzy animal would do but the one you’ve chosen is also great. Thanks for obliging me and welcome to the forum.

mydeafcat likes this.
  20. Grk Dec 27, 2017

Thanks for the info