Forums Latest Members
  1. tturner770 Jun 25, 2017

Hi, I recently purchased this watch. I'm pretty new to Omega watches and I have a lot to learn. I would like to learn more about it -- ideas about dates, do the parts match (originality), etc. I'm happy with the watch regardless of what I learn about it's history. I like the design/style, but hope it is a good purchase anyway! All info good or bad is appreciated. Thanks!

Now for some info:

Case width (excluding crown) = 28mm
    Case width (including crown) = 30mm
    Lug to lug = about 33 mm
    Lug width = 14 mm

Inside of case back indicates that the watch is 9 karat gold and the Omega logo looks like the one I've seen on vintage Omega pocket watches (I haven't seen it on the wristwatches though). The outside of the case back is inscribed with initials ("A P"?) and the date 9-IX-1947.

The movement looks like other Omega watch movements of the era (to me), and the serial number of 10,313,804 appears to date to 1944-1946, which fits.

I haven't seen an Omega watch with this style of dial, though I've only been looking for a couple of weeks.

I think the crown probably isn't original, it looks like it is plated and the finish is wearing off.

Photos are below. I would appreciate any opinions, information about the watch's originality, age, etc. whether positive or ... not. Thanks again!

IMG_20170616_220241.jpg IMG_20170616_220422.jpg IMG_20170616_221001.jpg IMG_20170625_155938.jpg IMG_20170625_160114.jpg
    GregH, chronos and JimInOz like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 25, 2017

Rather a nice watch with a caliber R17.8. (later called Caliber 300 series).

The dial has aged gracefully and the gold "leaf" hands look original to my eye.

The case may have been of local manufacture (France? UK?).

The crown may not be original, but is contemporary and doesn't look out of place.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 25, 2017

Case marks are also consistent with Australian market.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  4. tturner770 Jun 25, 2017

I purchased the watch from someone in Canada, so the UK is sounding like a good possibility.

I do like the way the dial has aged, but was it originally solid black? The dial is still black around the edge where the minute markings are ...

At 28mm wide, would the watch have been considered a men's watch? I know they were smaller back then ...

Thanks for the info!

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 25, 2017

I thought so too, Handley maybe? But no maker's marks therefore only guessing about the origin.

6. mac_omega Jun 26, 2017

No, the dial was not completely black.

It is a two-tone dial with outer black zone below the minute track, the inner part is anthracite
    The gold numbers are "below" both dark layers...
    These kind of dials are produced with galvanic plating, there is no paint, I call them galvano-sandwich dials.
    Others call these dials gilt dials which would make sense here as the numerals are gold colored... however the expression gilt is also used for dials with silver script which does not make sense, but if an expression is established it is hard to make it vanish...

Edited Jun 26, 2017