Forums Latest Members
  1. Matt-C Jan 10, 2016

Hi all just managed to bag a cheap Tissot PR100 titanium on the bay for my youngest son. The pictures suggest it may need a little TLC on both the bracelet and clasp.

Can I rebrush a titanium bracelet and case using the scotch brite pad method that is widely used for refinishing seamaster clasps, I thought about a small fibre glass pen for the case?

Thanks
    Matt.

2. cfw Jan 10, 2016

Titanium is a pain to refurb, I had a TAG Kirium Mclaren that had a scratched bezel, I tried to refurb it but alas I sold the watch with scratches bezel and all. Mind u it was grade 5 titanium, ur Tissot might be a lower grade and work easier. If u dont try u wont succeed

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452469270.805559.jpg

BrianMcKay and arkstfan like this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 10, 2016

Generally the same techniques can be used for Ti cases, but of course I never use Scotch Brite in a professional setting...

But yes give it a try, but be aware that it is softer than steel, and you can easily overdo it. You will notice a colour change as well since you will remove the oxide layer when you refinish. It will get darker again with time, but if you don't do the whole watch it will look odd for a while initially.

Matt-C likes this.
  4. cfw Jan 11, 2016

Soffter than steel??? I sure about that??

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 11, 2016

Grade 5 is harder than say 316L if the 316 has not work hardened in production when hardness is tested with say a Rockwell hardness tester. However this does not really translate to the refinishing process when brushing titanium watches. In my experience refinishing both materials, material is removed much quicker on titanium than it is with stainless if the same abrasives, surface speed, and pressures are used.

BrianMcKay and vinn2 like this.
  6. Geo! Jan 11, 2016

It is softer than steel, and sometimes the surface is anodised in which case refinishing yourself will be out of the question. If it is not anodised, you can use this technique:-

To start with use 600 grit wet or dry paper to remove the deep scratches. Make sure that you carefully rub along the length of the strap and not across it. This will take a fair bit of effort and may even require the use of 400 grit first if the scratches are really bad. Repeat the process with 800 and 1000 grit.

For the final finish Use 1200 grit. This must be done very carefully and each stroke MUST be parallel to the edge of the bracelet. When doing this use a fresh piece for each stroke and use in one direction only to ensure that the grain (striations) is even. Do not rub back and forward as this will start to produce a polished finish and you don't want that.

I suggest that you start with the clasp before progressing further.

The same process should be used for the case, remembering to finish with one stroke per piece of paper following the contours of the case.

When you are finished with the rubbing process, give all the parts a good rub with your fingers, the natural oils will give an even finish.

I used this process when re-finishing a titanium Seiko and was very please with the results.

BrianMcKay, Matt-C and vinn2 like this.
  7. Matt-C Jan 11, 2016

Thank you very much for all the replies. I'll give it a go and let you know how I mess up;)

8. Matt-C Jan 12, 2016

Hi all

It looks like the bracelet may originally had PCL's. Am I better to polish all the bracelet first concentrating on the centre links and then tape it of with something like kapton tape and the brush the rest?

vinn2 likes this.
  9. Geo! Jan 12, 2016

I would suggest that you pick up an old bracelet and practice on it first, even if it is not a titanium one. I always smooth to a polished finish before applying the brush effect, that way you know all the imperfections have been removed first.

I do the same when re-finishing cases, but always do the work by hand using various grades of wet or dry paper backed up by wood, to ensure that sharp edges are maintained. Even the final polish is applied using wood and metal polish before gently buffing with a cloth. Stirring sticks that you get in cafes are excellent for this purpose. It's tedious work, but well worth the effort.

vinn2 and wsfarrell like this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 12, 2016

At Omega service centres, they fully polish everything first before brushing. For me it depends on the level of damage if I polish first as its not always needed if the wear is light.

It's not really necessary to do any of this by hand, but for someone who has no or little experience it's much safer than using machinery. If you know what equipment and techniques to use, sharp edges can be maintained when using a buffing machine, but the skill and experience has to be there, and based on the cases I see, many people lack these skills.

The absolute biggest mistake made is that people try to remove all the scratches and dents. The biggest judgement call is knowing when to stop...

11. Matt-C Jan 12, 2016

Thanks all

I haven't received the item yet. I hoping that it will just need some fairly minor work. If I can't sort the centre links out I'm hoping the rest will be more just a case of 'redressing' as such just so the brushing is all parallel again. Of course my son may want it all brushed which may make it easier.

I've done my SMP clasps a few times and been very happy with the results. As you say Al its knowing when to stop!

Cheers

BrianMcKay likes this.
  12. vinn2 Jan 12, 2016

is 316 stainless the best alloy for comparison of hardness

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 12, 2016

Why would it not be?

14. PatrickJ Jan 12, 2016

So if I take my watch to an Omega boutique for it to be sent to Omega in the future for service and it needs a light polish. Is there a difference to the quality of the polish depending on where my luck falls as who polishes it? Or are they trained not to over polish and maintain the edges? Would it be better to take to an authorised Omega service agent like STS? Surely taking it to a boutique to be serviced by the manufacturer the quality of polishing must be standard and follow guidelines.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 12, 2016

Polishing (or more accurately refinishing since it's not just polishing to a high shine) requires skill just like servicing a movement does. In a service centre setting, say at Swatch in NJ, they have a separate department that looks after refinishing with its own manager and employees who do nothing but this task. These are not watchmakers, but people who gave been trained to accomplish this work.

Like with anything like this, some are more skilled and experienced than others. No matter where you send it humans are involved, so there is always the chance of an error...no one is perfect.

Cheers, Al

BrianMcKay and PatrickJ like this.
  16. Geo! Jan 13, 2016

Never a truer word!