Forums Latest Members

Reasons I would want the new ceramic SMP 300m versus the wave dial

1. Matty101 May 2, 2016

Hi guys,

Inexperienced, trying to buy my long term everyday watch. I really love the SMP 300m. I wanted to know your opinion on getting a newer ceramic dial model vs getting a wave dial model. What is the difference? What is better? There is a beautiful 300M GMT on these forums asking $2700 and I am considering that model in particular. Apparently that has the coaxial movement so with the same movement, would it really be worth going for the newer ceramic bezel/dial? I figured I would come to the experts (you guys). I have not seen the wave dial in person so I can't properly compare it to the ceramic dial which I have seen in person and looks beautiful IMO. Thanks for any help and advice.

300m ceramic.jpg 300m gmt.jpg

2. gnewylliw May 2, 2016

Ceramic bezel is damn near impossible to scratch. Applied dial looks amazing, if that's your thing. Blue Lume.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matty101 likes this.
  3. Finrod Felagund May 2, 2016

It's really a matter of personnal taste.

I had the same choice to do few months ago, but really prefered wave dial.
    So I chase a 2220.80.00 for few months and finally find my happyness 15 minutes away from home.

Also the blue is different for every model and that matters a lot for final decision.

4. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer May 2, 2016

one "hard fact pro ceramics" is that all of those with the 2500 movement had the last iteration of it, the 2500D ... with 3stage co-axial (as opposed to the 2stage co-ax in the 2500/B/C versions).

dare I tell you that the lovely blue one comes with a black date-wheel ? ::facepalm1::

cheers, Al

5. Matty101 May 2, 2016

I noticed the black date wheel.... I REALLY like the black date wheel haha!

Cheers

Dufresne likes this.
  6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 2, 2016

In this case is go ceramic, specially for the back model. The blue is great but I one better the shadings of the wave dial for the blue model, the blue ceramic sometimes looks flat to me

7. GBTRIUMPH May 2, 2016

Ceramic=good. The blue is always incredible and I haven't heard of anyone disliking the color. For some reason, it looks perfect to me. The bezel looks different under different lights and different angles. It is quite fun. If you don't buy the ceramic bezel Omega 300M, then the bezel is comprised of rather pedestrian materials, easily scratched. You will save yourself a ton of money and get a warranty also if you buy a Longines Hydroconquest new.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 2, 2016

Honestly preference. Personally I dislike the wave dial, while others prefer it. They are both great and pretty much interchangeable as to what you can wear them with.

9. Canadian Buck May 2, 2016

I have owned both but prefer the wave dial better.
    Personally, when I purchased ceramic, I went with black due to the color.

Brandon

10. Perseus May 2, 2016

Side by side I think the wave dial looks tired next to the ceramic.
    DSC_2662.jpg

Spy, WiZARD and larryganz like this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 2, 2016

Wow that blue ceramic dial looks so much nicer. I like my orange aluminum dial. But in blue wow.

12. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer May 2, 2016

be prepared - the black one is one SHINY / LOUD watch ... everything seems to be reflective (dial looks like polished black china laquer) ... just saying ... some like that, others not

here's mine ...

[​IMG]

Spy, WiZARD, larryganz and 1 other person like this.
  13. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ May 2, 2016

Loud, no, it's black. Shiny? Yes, very!
    image.jpeg

14. Javier2.0t May 2, 2016

I like the wave dial more. This is solely on appearance and personal preference. If choosing between blue and black Ceramic I would have to go black.
    The one thing with the blue wave dials is that you can find them for good prices in the sales corner

15. meganfox17 May 2, 2016

Hi @ Matty101

GAWD ! You Said Ceramic FOUR TIMES already ! Deal's Done !

Miss_Bourginskay likes this.
  16. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. May 2, 2016

I have a wave dial and love it. But this photo really shows how beautiful the ceramic Seamaster is. Great photo.

17. Perseus May 2, 2016

Yeah no losers here but next to each other the older wave dial dial shows its age.

18. jud May 2, 2016

I bought the black ceramic SMP 300m in November and a new Explorer two weeks ago. I have yet to wear the Explorer, still in the box waiting for the honeymoon with the SMP to end.

19. GBTRIUMPH May 2, 2016

Rolex might be a closet queen for awhile. ;-)

20. Diverdown May 4, 2016

Ceramic, no question... Unless you require/want a GMT?
    As for the black date wheel, you don't notice it; it blends nicely. The white date wheel stood out more (IMHO). I'd go blue over black... I think it's more versatile as it appears black in dim light, but the blue 'pops' more in the light. However, other than light brown leather or orange rubber, I find it pretty difficult to find an after market strap that I like for it (black wins in that category). Just my $0.02cdn