Forums Latest Members

Really Good Customer Service! Highly Recommended.

1. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 2, 2014

Lusting after an early one button chrono for years and not seeing what I want anywhere I decided to read up on it and get creative. How hard can it be right.

Using my virtually mint '58 321 Speedmaster for a starting point I pulled it apart intending on a conversion to single button. My lack of mechanical skills not withstanding I figured on simply moving the required components around until they all line up with the one pusher. Should anything go wrong I did have a nice clean model 92 Waltham for spares.

However I rapidly found I needed a real expert when I broke my visegrips getting one of the little wheels out, this is where Al Archer came in. I contacted Al and, after reviewing my project, he stated I was obviously a special case and in need of real professional help. Obviously I was on the right track. After my initial contact I did have some difficulty in following up with Al, who for some reason was unable to return my next 86 emails. I was finally able to deliver the project to him and work commenced!

Only 17 weeks and 147 emails and phonecalls later I receive my prize in the mail and, while its a bit bulkier than I had hoped it does keep good time and has a genuine one button chrono function. AND! Al, being a great pal, said he was able to sell off the gold band I had cut off my Grand Lux for the project and since I loved hiking, had used the proceeds to purchase me a special holiday package where I could try out my new watch! The package includes a one way ticket to an exotic place called Siberia, a pair of hiking boots, a Speedo swimsuit and a can of Raid, he says the weathers really nice in March, so I'll only need to take the Speedo. I may need a bit of bug spray and I don't need to call him when I get back as he is moving.

What a pal!

images (2).jpg The doner watch, not 100% mint as it had been engraved by some guy named Nasa for some guy named Neil
    P1000051 (800x600).jpg spares....just in case!
    43139-15d2f31c8da7ddeceb1ce8e455967f99.jpg
    the back was hard to get off until I tried turning it instead of prying
    images (1).jpg the little posts ground of the case easy enough, looking back I should have left something
    P1000158.JPG
    this is the little wheel I broke my visegrips getting out, who would have thought those little plates were so tough

P1000157.JPG
    the finished result....the man is an artist! I do find the bungie cord a bit itchy though, maybe I'll get a Hirsch for it before the trip.
    P1000156.JPG
    wow! Thanks Al.

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 2, 2014

:eek:
    why would you do that to Al!

:p:p :p

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 2, 2014

My policy is that the customer is always insane....errr....right! Yeah, yeah that's it!

;)

Modest_Proposal likes this.
  4. CdnWatchDoc Mar 2, 2014

Love it Fritz!! Obviously a bespoke piece, one that you can proudly point to and call your own...and please do that! Don't let anyone else know that Al or any other person helped out...why not keep the glory for yourself?!
    :D :D

5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 2, 2014

bespoke! yeah, Al really should have some credit but he did say I could claim this as my own. Beside, as I work my way home I'm not running into anybody who knows what an Omega is...... actually, I'm not running into anybody....
    images (1).jpg wintercyclinginyakutsksiberiarussia_01.jpg

I was able to trade my can of Raid for a bicycle so I'm making good time! Don't know why Raid is worth so much, I've not seen a single mossie.

Modest_Proposal and rhetoric like this.
  6. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 2, 2014

Have you stopped your medication?::beer::

Brilliant

7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 3, 2014

why yes I have stopped my meds, does it show?

The chipmunk that lives on my shoulder, Dave, says I'm doing fine! (Al can't see Dave, I worry about him, he works too hard)

8. musicman Mar 4, 2014

Excellent work one and all. Thanks very much, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

9. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 6, 2014

Just got back from 2 days in Detroit working on a new program for a 2015 Lincoln..... actually wish to hell I had been in friggin Siberia!

The automotive industry.... Oi! And to think this is what we all wanted to do back in college!