Forums Latest Members
  1. robrt Dec 31, 2019

Hello!

I hope this is the right place to ask this: I have just bought a watch on ebay. It kind of happened to me, I saw this offered for € 600 and placed a bid for €500. I didn't expect the seller to accept this but he did.

And this is where I really got suspicious. And then I had a second look and the watch just looks too good to be true. Finally I found someone here mention the seller "iole36" in a thread on fake watches:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/don...e-not-for-questions.6235/page-77#post-1212384

This is the link to the ebay offer:
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/153643967519Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

So my question is: What do you think? Is this a fake? Or is this impossible to tell solely from what I know now?

And if so: What should I do? I could just let the delivery bounce and ask for a refund from ebay / paypal. That should be no issue. But is there anything else I could do?

Thanks!

Here is some images from the offer:
    s-l1600_2.jpg s-l1600_3.jpg s-l1600_8.jpg

2. Davidt Dec 31, 2019

It's perfectly genuine but those type of Cosmics typically sell for around €300-400 without a bracelet.

3. robrt Dec 31, 2019

Thanks for your reply!

What makes you assume this is not a fake? I would like to understand your judgement if this is possible. Or is it just a gut feeling?

And where would you find such a Cosmic for € 300-400? I have been looking for some time and haven't found anything similar. On Chrono24 some of these are sometimes for sale for even more than €800.

Cheers,
    robrt

4. janice&fred Dec 31, 2019

hi and good you are getting into vintage omegas and this certainly is the right place to ask about them but you may not have the right time. you bought the watch already so please don't try to weasel out of the deal. you bought it fair and square.

Phil F likes this.
  5. robrt Dec 31, 2019

If it's fake the contract is void. I wouldn't "weasel out" in any other case. So I don't get your point.

6. janice&fred Dec 31, 2019

my point is you might not be asking about the watch at the right moment in time. you should have tried to learn more BEFORE you entered a bid on it. I don't think making bids means "first refusal pending research".

Phil F likes this.
  7. robrt Dec 31, 2019

It might be late but it's not too late. Selling fake items and not declaring this is fraud. Then any contract is void. I am not too interested in that debate, if I think it is fake I would just cancel the contract and the seller gets back his watch and that's it.

What I would be more interested bin is on how to judge if this is a legit offer.

I would actually be glad if it turns out to be legit and I don't really mind if I might have paid €100 too much on that watch. I am not experienced in this market and these watches so that's something I have to live with.

Learning comes with a price. I just don't want to support somebody who is selling fake watches, that's it.

Phil F and DaveK like this.
  8. Davidt Dec 31, 2019

It's not fake. It's genuine as per my previous post.

I'm not making an assumption, it's a call based on years of experience with vintage Omegas and I know what to look for in this model.

This also isn't a model that has any good fakes.

robrt and janice&fred like this.
  9. Maskelyne Dec 31, 2019

- Well, the watch is genuine and it´s not allowed to sell fakes on e-bay. You are covered by Paypal and e-bay money back guarantee. You paid too much for it in my opinion, but that is another question. (Lume missing on the index and I see one lume inside the crystal at "2"). Next time try to buy from a seller that accept returns, then you can examine the watch at home and simply change your mind.

That seller also selling Omega with redial, and don't put that in the description. There are a lot of sellers from Italy selling redials and Omega watches with fraudulent descriptions.

robrt likes this.
  10. Davidt Dec 31, 2019

In open auction on eBay these routinely sell for that amount. I've had a few of these myself,1) because they're a modern size and come in various dial configurations so are suitable for modern tastes, and 2) they often come with a bracelet that can be used on a Speedmaster.

Whether I bought to keep the bracelet and flip the watch, or bought the watch to wear but ended up selling down the line, I think all the ones I've sold went for £260-350. Asking for €800 is ridiculous.

robrt likes this.
  11. robrt Dec 31, 2019

Thank you all for your comments!

Happy new year!