Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 13, 2013

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Uni...965604940?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item19d610c24cPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-G...952901334?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item20d17296d6Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-G...050149621?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item19db1acef5Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

This guy appears to have NOS UG dials, you guys reckon they're genuinely vintage NOS rather than remanufactured?

2. ulackfocus Apr 13, 2013

International Dial in Ohio has some original dies for UG. They used to be right across the street from each other in NYC. I've seen some pretty good work for UG (and Hamilton) come from there.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 13, 2013

The square one and the Compax are pretty convincing, the Tri-Compax less so due to the very light printing - 'underinked' for once. Regardless, if I had a terribly damaged dial, I would hesitate very little before replacing it with one of these.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 13, 2013

Ahk interesting. So although originality is always preferable, are UG's like the Tri-Compax a little like Hamiltons in that a high quality replacement dial is an acceptable solution?

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 13, 2013

No consensus as far as I know, and to me it would depend on the amount of damage to the original (e.g. a lot) and the quality of the reproduction (e.g. very good). As Dennis has noted, UG is one of the few Swiss brands for which the repro dies apparently exist and are high quality. The other that springs to mind is IWC.

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 13, 2013

JLC and Patek also.

7. ulackfocus Apr 13, 2013

Not as much as UG and IWC though. There's a few tells on JLC, like the tips of the capital C having barbs or not.

8. woodwkr2 Apr 13, 2013

To my eye all three of those dials look correct. Even if done with the original dies, there are still some tells when the UGs are redialed. The texture in the subdials, for example, is usually lost or significantly diminished.

I do see what Lou is referring to with the Tricompax dial. It does look just a bit light. Tough to know if that's from a bit of washout due to the lighting, or if that's real.

9. ETime Apr 15, 2013

I have been looking for a dial for the 263 cal military. The one I have is really badly damaged. Of course I would love an NOS, would settle for a redail if the die is good. International Dial couldn't get close. Any suggestions?