Forums Latest Members
  1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Oct 10, 2012

Hi all,

Some of you may have read it already via FW or Hodinkee, but last saturday I had a visit from the son of a former astronaut, showing me this very cool Speedmaster. His father received it from the family of former astronaut Reinhard Furrer after he passed away in 1995. His father (also former astronaut) doesn't care much about other watches than the one he wore during his space shuttle mission, so it was given to him a few years ago. It is now on my wrist (he wanted me to sort some things out with OMEGA and put a new crystal on it) and I have to say, the feeling is magic. I rather have this watch than a 50K Patek Philippe to be honest.

Anyway, here are some pictures in a somewhat higher resolution than on my blog (Fratellowatches), but I would like to invite you to come over to read the entire article instead of this small summary above :)

Click here for the article

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dash1 Oct 10, 2012

That's a fantastic thing. I wouldn't be surprised if it where worth more than a 50k PP on the open market.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 10, 2012

You mentioned a FIFA style chronograph with a Cal 1045 movement was also put up for testing at the same time, I'm wondering if this dial in Watchco's parts bin has something to do with that, as it shares the same radial subdial design as that Alaska III watch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROTOTYPE-O...80482474769?pt=AU_Watches&hash=item589685d311Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

alaska4.JPG

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 10, 2012

And a radial Speedsonic

$(KGrHqFHJEQF!d5HtvL-BQcmccbSgQ~~60_57 (2).JPG

5. astrosfan Oct 11, 2012

This is instantly one of my favorite threads. Thank you for sharing the story & pictures with us!

A question from this ignorant watch geek- Why do none of these dials say "Swiss Made" on them. Did some Speedys say that & others not? I'm not questioning the authenticity, but looking for more information.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 11, 2012

That's actually an interesting point that I didn't notice at all, there's no mention of tritium on the dials either, when being the era it was, you'd have thought they must have been tritium dials.

7. Steve Oct 11, 2012

I was always led to believe that the watches were deemed as ''Property of NASA'' and that after each mission they had to be handed back. Has anybody else heard of this ?. Correct me if i'm wrong.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 11, 2012

I get the feeling they're handed out a lot, I know NASA handed Ed White's Speedmaster to his son after he perished in Apollo 1, Comex did a lot of handing out their watches to divers to keep as retirement gifts and so on, so it probably makes sense, it'd be a lot easier to give as a gift than a moon buggy or something, and given Omega only charged them 1 cent per watch, not too bad on NASA's bottom line either ;)

9. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Oct 12, 2012

You are correct Sir, that's why I keep it 'private' to whom this Speedy now belongs. I don't want him to get in trouble over it. But you are right, astronauts needed to hand the indisposable equipment back after missions. It is also why it is so special to have this Speedmaster :)

I was informed by sources at Omega that they have been approached several times by official government organizations if they were able to track some of the missing watches down. I guess I had one on my wrists for a few days ;-)

RJ

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2012

I'd imagine Buzz Aldrin's "missing" Speedmaster is the one with the biggest price on its head, if that watch were on the open market, and not stolen, that could be the most expensive Omega auction of all time, the original Moonwatch.