Forums Latest Members
  1. DonJ2004 Aug 31, 2015

Hello, first post here and looked for the most relevant Omega-forum. I have inherited an old Omega watch from my grandfather, who I never met. The watch came through my grandmother, and finally my mother (though she's still alive). I am curious about this watch due to stories heard of him. He was a very red, active politician in a large city, who lived as he learned. He never lived extravagant, didn't drink nor smoke, put all money into traveling. However, he left this Omega. I'm not very into watches more than I admire a beautiful watch and at the end of studies I will give myself one unless no one in my family do! :) I am curious why he had this, it is a little paradox hearing who he was. Is it an expensive watch, or was at the time? Anyone able to share more information? Thanks in advance,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://postimg.org/image/jufpkrxyd/

http://postimg.org/image/6av5bijmj/

At the back, inside, there were different engravings.
    Cal 501

2. vinn2 Aug 31, 2015

my grandmother gave me granpa's gold watch and chain. i was just a little kid. BUT; my father and all the uncles were furious -- for years. i still have it, with its 2.5 US gold piece on the chain.

3. DonJ2004 Sep 1, 2015

Additional question, regarding restauration. What is the best way to go? As far as I now, since he's been gone for over 35 years, all parts are original. The affectionate value is the most important, but is there a good way to preserve it in terms of originality or do any decent watchshop take care of that in a good way? Thanks,

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 1, 2015

Decent watchmaker with Omega knowledge. Mention area you live and someone might put you in the right direction.

5. Willem023 Sep 1, 2015

Do you have pics of the movement and inside back-case? Then the forum-members will have a more clear view on date and even value. More high res pics of the dial might also work; they do not appear fully on the forum
    Edit: I meant: 'clear, high res pics' of movement

6. DonJ2004 Sep 1, 2015

Gothenburg, Sweden. Any input to inquiry of why he had an omega watch being a red politician? Was it pricy at the time? Oh, no pictures came with? I asked the boutique to take picture of the inside, the only one I have from inside, but the numbers aren't enough that I attached? Let me see if I can come up with a better pic on the dial! Thanks

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 1, 2015

If you are from Sweden, there is several decent members from there that could point you in the right direction
    @styggpyggeno1 might be able to answer the red politician thing

Willem023 likes this.
  8. DonJ2004 Sep 1, 2015

9. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Sep 2, 2015

Hej, jag tar det här på engelska så att det fungerar för alla.
    From your question I read that you regard Omega as a luxury brand - not fitting a person with his beliefs to the left (Castro and many more "lefties" have been known to use very fine watches...). The 501 caliber is a mid fifties movement and if he bought the watch new at that time I would say it was a mid range choice. Well above all the Atlantic´s and post order watches but also well below many other makes and even other models within the Omega range. Omega at the time was a big and famous brand and made fine watches and/but they made watches for a broad segment of the market. I do not belive they were regarded as a luxury brand, in Sweden, in the fifties. This watch - I would say was nothing that would have been ill seen worn by a politician on the left. Not even the far left - if that was the case. There are plenty of fifties Omega Seamaster watches here in Sweden. In Sweden - spared by WWII and with a booming economy, ordinary people could afford a nice watch if they choose to prioritize it. Your grandfather had no reason to be ashamed for his choice in front of his comrades.
    It is, for its time, a robust watch, still beautiful and I hope you have it serviced and wear it a lot.

STANDY likes this.
  10. Willem023 Sep 2, 2015

Tack, my Swedish is not that good....:D

11. DonJ2004 Sep 2, 2015

Tack så hemskt mycket! Thank you very much for taking time to reply to me. That sorts things out. Because of my lack of knowledge I just assumed Omega was a contradiction to his beliefs, regarding material. In his youth he was extreme, during the war, but later on stepped more to the right, though on the left flank and that is where he made his political career. I never got the chance to meet him, this is pretty much the only thing I have left of him, photos and paintings are gone because of a fire. So, the affectionate value is beyond. I will service it indeed, I hope it fits me as we were built with two different bodytypes. Being 197cm and not skinny has it difficulties when it comes to vintage watches. Do you have any recommendation on who to give it to on the west coast for a service? Anything special I point out in terms of "do this" and "don't do this"? Thank you once again, you've been more than kind to me coming here and getting good help at first stop. Cheers!

12. Dr.Sascha Sep 4, 2015

Regardless of politics, it is always wise to know the correct time, and to be punctual. Courtesy knows no Ideology!