Forums Latest Members
  1. mmrols May 25, 2019

When considering a vintage watch, is re luming something that takes away from value? If it's a 40 year old watch, how would one even know....considering that the re lume could have already patinad. Is this something that matters?

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 25, 2019

Yes, it detracts from the value of vintage watches, though the degree of degradation depends on the value of the watch otherwise, and also the quality of the relume.

3. Swissmister May 25, 2019

This is a very good question, and like most topics, the answer is not black and white. I have only been seeing quality re lum work for less than 10 yrs, and some of it is truly amazing. In some cases, the new lum is applied more evenly than on original dials. As noted above, the quality of the work is very, very important. If done poorly, the value of your watch will suffer, but if done very well, many collectors seem to be willing to look the other way. After all, a Speedmaster with attractive faux patina indices is prettier than one that has been scraped to pure white, in my opinion. The collector community, I feel has yet to really deal with this relatively new aspect of restoration. When a 2915-1 with re lumed dial sold for 250k (or was it 400k) one of those big sales, I was surprised, but that isn't a fair exemplar as they rarely come up for sale in any condition. Beautiful original patina will probably always command a premium, but I believe a nice re lum, though it may not raise the value, also does not hurt the value. This is a good topic for discussion.

Etp095 likes this.
  4. JwRosenthal May 25, 2019

As a collector, I do like originality, but considering I can’t play at the level that some do (like a minty SM300 with light yellow lume) I would take a well done relume over a moldy colored dial and handset.
    I think it comes down to how bad is the dial, is it beyond where even a patina junky would enjoy it. We had such and SMP discussed about a week ago, it has been relumed before and very poorly. The consensus was that it wasn’t worth preserving as the damage had already been done, so sending it off to a pro to have it redone would actually help the value as it would at least be attractive after the refresh

Etp095 likes this.
  5. JwRosenthal May 25, 2019

Additionally, I have seen threads of people having beautifully patina’d lume stripped and redone because it didn’t glow anymore. I know that’s a personal choice, but it makes be cringe-just buy a new one if you want the Superlume glow.

6. Swissmister May 25, 2019

That is heartbreaking. I won't comment further on that one.

I think I saw the thread discussing the poor lum on the SM. It definitely would have benefitted from new lum. The best guy I know charges less than 300 to do the indices and hands, and his work is outstanding, but he went through a period of personal problems that made him difficult to contact a couple of years ago. I think he's back to work now.

Etp095 likes this.
  7. JwRosenthal May 25, 2019

I guess my threshold is if the dial stil has contrast and is readable. If the dial is silver and lume has gone black, but still has tight pips, hands aren’t disintegrating, and I can still read it,
    I’m ok with it. If it’s a black dial and the lume has gone dark (darker than orange or forest green is beyond my threshold) and isn’t readable, I won’t even look at the watch. For me, it’s a time keeping device first, collectible second. If it fails at the first job becuase I can’t read it, then there’s no point for me to buy it.

Oh, and I have the same issue with silver hands on silver dial-if it takes a minute for me to read, I won’t wear it. All about contrast. The lume is a big part of contrast on most vintage watches. I feel if it’s too dark for me to read but is in good shape, pass it back into the pool of collectors. If it’s a mess (flaking off, water logged and spongy, half missing) then relume would be a viable option.

8. JwRosenthal May 25, 2019

Care to share this artisan? I have a 50’s Seamaster with honeycome dial that had a very well done dial cleaning but they lost the lume on the dial and hands. Would love to have that redone at some point.

9. Uscjake87 May 26, 2019

It would be nice to know of a list of people who can do proper vintage relume and stabilization. I have heard such claims and seen the results, but havent seen contact info.

10. Swissmister May 26, 2019

Ok, here's one for you: Jack Alexyon in North Carolina. I think he calls his company International Watch Works. His work is outstanding. And if you're across the pond driving on the wrong side of the road, James Hyman also does great work. The only visual downside to a great re lum is that they appear too perfect, which makes them easier to spot.

Uscjake87 and JwRosenthal like this.
  11. JwRosenthal May 26, 2019

Have you used Jack for mechanical work as well as cosmetic? My SM that needs the lume replaced could also stand a service as well, would be nice for a one stop shop

12. Swissmister May 26, 2019

I do not know if he does service or has a guy, but someone there is at least competent to remove movements, remove hands, remove dials then re install, so he may have a guy there who helps. You'd have to ask.

Etp095 likes this.
  13. impalla62ss May 27, 2019

I just looked over his website and services are listed on the price list. I just picked up another Seamaster that I am thinking about sending down there for a relume.

14. Dan S May 27, 2019

To each his own, but I feel it would be unfortunate to strip darkened original radium lume off of a 1940s/1950s era watch if the lume was still intact after 80 years. I always advise people to go slowly and see if they come to appreciate the aesthetics. I know it's a cliche, but a watch can only be original once.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  15. JwRosenthal May 27, 2019

Agreed, which is why I won’t buy one even if it’s a steal and if I did get it, I would pass it along to someone who would appreciate it as is. I believe in being a good steward to my collections, and if it isn’t to my taste, then someone else may appreciate it. That said, if the lume was truly trashed (completely off the dial or disintegrating quickly, then I would be tempted for the relume

DaveK and Dan S like this.
  16. Vitezi May 27, 2019

17. impalla62ss May 30, 2019

Just curious, but refreshing lume dots would be detrimental the originality of a dial? I could see an issue with lumed markers. I spent a long time finding a watch with a perfect dial (not my '59) and would hate to screw that up.

18. Swissmister May 30, 2019

You will find varying opinions on re lum work. If it is darkened, I would first attempt to remove the slightest bit of material VERY carefully. We each have to decide whether originality is more important than beauty in some cases. I have some I left fairly dark and others that were just not presentable without help. It is also helpful if you have one or two indices that have flaked off. He can match those to originals.

As to value being affected I will point again to one of the 2915s that sold last year for 250k or 400k, and its re lum work was even noted in the listing. It's a personal choice.

The above linked thread gives an idea how a few feel about re lum work. In the end, it just comes down to what the watch owner wants.

impalla62ss likes this.
  19. JwRosenthal May 30, 2019

On my waffle dial SM, the lume is gone-gone, as in washed away. Whomever cleaned the dial did a fine job and the lettering is intact but lost the lume. Hands are also empty in the lume slots, so it looks like something is missing. Of course I wouldn’t want superlume lime green in there, but a matching yellow to the cream dial would be nice.

impalla62ss likes this.
  20. JwRosenthal May 30, 2019

Well, not totally gone-gone, almost gone-gone. But still looks like a gapped tooth smile.

F6940E99-DE3D-4E14-954D-EA9F3136AAEC.jpeg

impalla62ss likes this.