Forums Latest Members
  1. DIV Apr 8, 2016

I just picked up a nice Ranchero 2996-1 that's all original, except for the dial, which of course is the most important part as far as value. I believe the previous owner had this watch for a very long time and when it was time, changed the dial out of necessity.
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone know if Omega offers replacement dials for otherwise genuine Rancheros?
    And if not, then which (if any) is the most "acceptable" replacement dial?
    Would it be this one?
    http://ndtradingcorp.com/view-270-dial-omega-ranchero-ref-2996-1
    The cold hard fact is that these fine and undervalued watches are surviving longer than their dials and when they do need redials, like this one posted by member Pitpro for example,
    [​IMG] I don't see any other choice than a re-dial. And what I'm asking is what's the "most acceptable" way to do re-dial?

2. nickw Apr 8, 2016

I'd rather have pitpro's dial than a faked repro any day. I am be curious what the inside of your case back looks like as well as the movement - given that the dial and possibly the hands are wrong why are you confident that the watch is original other than the dial? Crown looks suspect too from single photo.

3. DIV Apr 8, 2016

Here is the original listing from eBay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-RANCH...q0gWmLWDr23taaxv%2FYk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    For $650, I think I did alright. The later Racheros had Dauphine hands with straight slot lume channels, so I think we're good there. The case is a bit over-polished and of course the dial is replaced. But the case back and movement are all good.

4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 8, 2016

Buying fake dials is a further disgrace to the watch than the redial itself. If the redial is not up to your liking, then I guess have it redone again, or just wait and pay the premium for a correct example that will always be in high demand in the market.

nickw likes this.
  5. DIV Apr 8, 2016

Very true.
    Like I mentioned in the other thread. I already have an all original 2990, but wanted a center-seconds version and that this one would satisfy the itch even with the redial, but since I'm so familiar with an original dial, it's now starting to bug me....

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 8, 2016

Is a piece of dial metal previously fitted to an Omega cal. 267 (or similar) movement that was refinished to look like a Ranchero a "fake" or a redial? If the OP buys one of these dials, we have no way of knowing whether they are replacing a fake with a redial or a redial with a fake. Either way, it isn't original.

You are making an assumption without any evidence or support.
    gatorcpa

josiahg52 and TNTwatch like this.
  7. piwatches Aug 4, 2023

8. piwatches Aug 4, 2023

I

9. piwatches Aug 4, 2023

All the Rancheros I've seen have a Singer dial.. This includes the dress variety which you have. I see no reason to keep a crapped up dial. Just take a photo of the old one. These are way overated. People send back dials all the time to refinish. Its called restoration. If they can do it to the Mona Lisa I think its acceptable to do one of the cheaoest watches Omega ever produced with inferior dials.

10. gbesq Aug 4, 2023

One of the cheapest watches that Omega ever produced with inferior dials? Does Omega in the 1970’s ring a bell? I guess that’s why an authentic Ranchero is a grail for so many collectors and that they typically sell for 5-10k in good condition. To answer the OP’s question, you can redial anything, but what you always wind up with is a watch that is worth the sum of its parts.

Edited Aug 4, 2023
  11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 4, 2023

You are correct in principle. However, the market says what the market says. If people would rather pay more (sometimes a helluva lot more) for a crappy original dial, then one can not recommend a redial and destroy a significant portion of its value for the sake of cosmetics.

If this was a 1920's Hamilton, we'd be having a much different conversation. Good redials are considered perfectly acceptable in that world.
    gatorcpa

watchyouwant likes this.
  12. gbesq Aug 4, 2023

I think that a big part of the problem with redialing a Ranchero is the loss of the radium lume and the burnt orange patina that goes with it after 60+ years. A good relumer like James Hyman can probably come close to matching the color, but in my view the watch will never be the same.
    upload_2023-8-4_13-39-11.jpeg

noelekal likes this.
  13. nkhandekar Aug 4, 2023

I understand your point, but, given the very precise nature of the information in this forum, you might want to choose a painting that has a fully recorded restoration.

14. Davidt Aug 4, 2023

For what’s it’s worth, Omega themselves do Reasonable redials. Obviosuly a good redial is still a redial and it won’t be cheap but it’s an option.

A9BEC6C1-6CB0-4EFC-81A2-C47E2A4416C2.jpeg

nkhandekar likes this.
  15. DIV Aug 4, 2023

Hey!...great to see new life being breathed into this old thread.
    I haven't got much more to add though!....

16. gbesq Aug 4, 2023

Did you have it redialed? Pics?

17. DIV Aug 4, 2023

Well, while you're asking...Allow me to update the story....
    I ended up selling that one pictured as is. ThenI ended up purchasing another one (a "Bombay Special" Franken) that had what I thought was an original broad arrow handset, but a terrible fake dial. I promptly purchased a somewhat better fake dial and had it swapped with a full service: (Apr 28, 2016 05-27 PM)samsung SM-G900P(5312x2988).JPEG
    Here it is along side my all original 2990:
    20160525_201237_resized.jpg
    I ended up selling that one (I now have seller's remorse) along with the original 2990 to fund the purchase of my 2017 all new Trilogy Railmaster. I have since purchased another original 2990: 20210719_170504.jpg

20210719_215305.jpg
    numero27, Davidt and Aroxx like this.
  18. piwatches Aug 4, 2023

19. piwatches Aug 4, 2023

I think that watch is kinda rare with the silver hands on the dress model if it is a true Ranchero. I found an original luminous black dial (90%) a few years back but haven't found a Ranchero with a bad dial and the broad arrow hands to switch it out. I do object to the refinished dials being sold as originals because its dishonest to not point this out. I an enclosing a photo of the kind of dial that is a candidate for a refinish in my opinion. You really have to look and enlarge but you can see the Ranchero and the faded 30mm. Here's something that makes me sick. I sent a Ranchero dial to my refinisher and it came back signed Seamaster. It was so darn perfect and better than a new Omega I decided to keep it. Now I have a Ranchero that reads Seamaster just like one of the swapped dials. BtW, My refinisher retired years ago.

20230704_185805.jpg
  20. DIV Aug 4, 2023

Photos of the finished project....Please!

numero27 likes this.