Forums Latest Members
  1. NT931 May 28, 2013

Hi folks,
    I was looking at the 'jumbo' sized Omegas & came across this one Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Networkon ebay. Is this a re-dial? Or a genuine dial?

I'm leaning slightly toward re-dial but would love to hear your opinions. Also, does the case look overpolished?

Thanks!

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 28, 2013

Refinished. Hard to read 2505?

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 28, 2013

Interesting advert. The receipt could be for any steel Omega and is from Burlington Arcade - not Bond Street as he says - bought in July 2011. It is one of his favourites (therefore owns multiple watches) but he has no clue as to its value. It just doesn't stack up to me.

4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member May 28, 2013

Somlo is in Burlington Arcade just off Bond St, so I'd allow him that. It's only a matter of 30-50 feet.

And I can well believe they took him for £2850 for a redialled and refurbed watch. When I went in there last year they tried to convince me that several refurbished Dynamics were worth £1500+ each...

5. seamonster Respectable Member May 28, 2013

Respectable Member SpikiSpikester

When Somlo was first established some while ago, I tried to contact them, thinking I would be able to get some super-duper or highly desirable vintage Omega watches.

Both my emails were not responded to. Now I have no regrets, since I know what they carry and also, their price expectations.

Thank-you.

6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 28, 2013

Steve, I read 2506 and OVD showed a similar watch, caliber 283 with different hour markers, a difference that I attributed to the -29 iteration of the OP's watch of interest. However, I noticed the painted numerals were well off the dots at OVD and that this watch's numerals almost touched the dots. Also, no "SWISS MADE" at OVD.
    May I ask your "tells" for redial? I don't want to get into the habit of assuming every pristine dial is a redial. My God, this is like crime scene investigation!
    "The apprentices learn at the feet of their masters".

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 28, 2013

I read 2506 at first too, but I believe it is a 2505 which matches the watches configuration. All of the script does not seem in uniform alignment to me, plust the numbers seem wonky. That, and it would be unlike Somlo to sell it without redialing it. :rolleyes: . I believe it is right on the cusp of having "Swiss Made", don't know if there is a uniform cut off date.

8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 28, 2013

I often respond to apprentices "I should tell you what it took me years to learn?" .and then I tell them. It emphasizes the value of the lesson and we all appreciate the value of what you and others teach here everyday. Thank You !!

9. NT931 May 28, 2013

Wow, now I know how Somlo Antiques finds the money to fund their swish website :)

I hadn't known that watches then didn't have 'Swiss Made' so I had incorrectly thought this was a re-dial due to the lack of the 'Swiss Made'. Learnt something new - thanks everyone!