Rare Vintage Omega Ref. 3950 18k Yg Square Case W/ Perfect Waffle Dial—serviced

Up for sale is this rare early 1950s Omega bumper Automatic in large 18k yellow gold square case with wonderfully stylized horned lugs and absolutely stunning and Mint silver-white "waffle" guilloché dial. I am going to add the caveat in here that while I and my watchmaker think that this dial is factory printed I have received some feedback from someone I really respect in the vintage Omega community that he does not. I have seen others with the hidden SWISS MADE like this one and I think the fonts are good but I am going to throw it out there that it could be a really, really good redial so you don't think I'm trying to snooker anyone. Either way, it's win-win because this dial is stunning!

This reference 3950 is in overall Excellent+ vintage condition and features an in house Omega caliber 342 bumper autowind movement with subsidiary seconds that has just been completely overhauled by my NYC Master Watchmaker. So it is ready for many more years of faithful service to its new owner and will come with a 6-month movement warranty for all normal non-abusive use.

The asking price for this Grail-level vintage Omega is now SLASHED to an amazing $2,250 USD OBRO. This price includes fully insured FedEx shipping worldwide. Bank Wire preferred. Paypal is OK on this watch with split fees (+2 to the buyer%). Other payment options upon application. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS.

Omega18kSqBump-Master_edited-2.jpg

CASE: Classic oversized cushion case with beveled horn lugs in solid 18k yellow gold, much more uncommon than the usual 14k or steel cases one normally finds with this reference. While this watch is commonly measured as 31 x 31mm for the squared part of the case, it is really 31mm wide (not including crown) x 41mm long when measuring to the lug tips and a pleasingly chunky 10mm thick to the top of the crystal. So it definitely makes a bold statement on the wrist, not unlike a slightly smaller version of the Vacheron Cioccolatino from the same era. This watch has been well taken care of through the years and the case shows some polish but nothing too heavy, as the chamfers on the lugs are still present and the case itself quite thick. It does have some marks from wear but still looks quite sharp and shines beautifully. By my strict standards, I rate this case as being in Excellent vintage condition. It is also fully double hallmarked for solid 18k gold on the side and beneath the lug.

CASEBACK: The outer part of the heavy snap-in caseback has some scratches and light marks from wear, Excellent cosmetic condition. It snaps into the case top super tight and stays locked in, no wiggle at all and no gaps. The inner caseback is completely corrosion-free and has all correct hallmarks for the period and for 18-karat gold, as well as the correct reference & individual case serial (an interesting old practice of Omega's during the 1940s-50s on certain models), the last 3-digits matching the numbers on the movement holder. Multiple watchmaker's service marks indicate very diligent servicing through the years and probably why the movement looks so clean.

DIAL & HANDS: Absolutely amazing and Mint silver white "Waffle" pattern guilloché dial with hand-riveted gold "dart" and "chevron" hour markers and applied Omega symbol. Literally, any marks you see in the pictures are from the crystal. Because I could not quite believe a 60-year old dial could be this clean I asked my watchmaker to check for any signs of a redial on the back of the dial and he found none. And in louping it, it seems to me that this is Omega factory printing because of the serif font that a redialer could not get correct, IMO. The fact that SWISS MADE sits below the inner case lip and 95% out of sight (one can make out the very top of it when looking downward) is not unprecedented on these models. However, being so preternaturally clean and with a short crosshair in the sub seconds I am going to allow for the opinion of a noted expert that it may be restored in some way (or maybe sourced from Omega in a later era???) . So while I feel that this dial really seems like the genuine article, I am willing to accept the possibility that it is a very high quality refinish. Either way, it is a fantastic dial that wears beautifully! Gold Alpha hour and minute hands are Excellent with some signs of age, same as the sub seconds hand.

CROWN: Large 5mm knurled Omega-signed gold hermetic winding crown seems original and is in Excellent condition. The crown winds and pulls out to the time-setting position, as it should.

CRYSTAL: Elegantly curved Omega-signed square acrylic crystal is probably original with some scratches and light crazing, Very Good to Excellent. AFAIK, it is next to impossible to source this exact crystal anymore, which leads to use of generics that do not quite fit this unique case aperture. So even though there is some wear on this original xtal, the fit is absolutely seamless and it is still quite clear and not discolored.

MOVEMENT: Omega's in-house bumper-style 17-jewel automatic wind 342 caliber looking very clean and bright pink. The 13.3 million movement SN indicates circa 1952-3 production. Note also the 3-digit number along the edge of the movement holder, which matches the last 3 digits of the case, meaning that the watch is not some married up Franken. As stated above, my watchmaker has just fully overhauled this classic and reliable movement for years more of steady service and so it is running great and I guarantee it for normal, non-abusive use for 6 months.

BAND: This great Omega comes on an elegant black DeBeer Paris leather strap with snake grain and gold tone buckle that is brand new and Mint. This large Omega dress watch takes straps with 20 mm ends.

I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form, as this watch was never guaranteed water resistant by Omega from new and certainly isn't any more so now. ;)

This great Vintage Omega is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer. This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
T.
[email protected]

Hi guys.
Text has been edited to allow for some misgivings about the dial's originality from someone who knows his bones. Still looks pretty damn factory to me but I just want to add the caveat and throw it out there in the interests of being above board and informing the buyer. Either way, it is stunning! :D
All the best,
Tom

Asking price REDUCED to $2650 USD... and getting dangerously close to keeping this beauty for myself. ;)

Let's Bump this beauty back to the top.
I'd love for a forum member to be the new owner of this great watch--so remember:
It's called "asking" price for a reason. ;)
Best,
T.

PRICE DROPPED to an amazing $2450 OBRO. Can't believe this beauty hasn't been snatched up yet--try and find another of this rare ref this nice--ain't gonna happen! ! ;)
Best,
T.

OK, boys, hearing offers at or around an amazing $2250 !