Forums Latest Members

SOLD Rare Vintage 1960s Omega ref. 145.020 Seamaster “Soccer Timer” Chronograph

1. tomvox1 Oct 17, 2016

Omega145020Soccer-lng copy.jpg Omega145020Soccer-8 copy.jpg
    Up for sale is this uncommon late 1960s Omega ref. 145.020 Seamaster “Soccer Timer” chronograph with beautiful original cream-white dial featuring high contrast red/black sub registers and an inner fixed Tachymeter ring. It was originally believed that these chronos were manufactured for use in yachting regattas but now the accepted wisdom is that they were designed for soccer trainers and referees with the addition to the minute register of a figure for 45 minutes, the length of a football half. Either way, it is an awesome looking watch and in fact the dial design was so striking and distinctive that recently Omega reissued some modern versions of it.

This rare Seamaster chronograph is in overall Excellent+ vintage condition and was last serviced by Omega UK in 2013 (paperwork for that service is currently lost unfortunately). Hence, the chamfers are sharp and the sunburst satin finish to the top of the lugs is essentially factory perfect. This great Omega Soccer Timer comes on a modern OEM black leather strap with signed Omega buckle. A ROWI stainless steel “Oyster” style bracelet with straight ends that gives the watch a cool retro look is also included in the sale.

When you look at how the prices of vintage mechanical chronos have skyrocketed in the past few years, the Omega Soccer Timer remains a premium piece that still represents excellent value for both the aspiring or experienced collector. If anything, a beautiful example like this one has got upside potential once people figure out it’s a better quality, rarer watch than many others currently in its price range.

The asking price for this uncommon Vintage Omega Seamaster Soccer Timer with beautiful original cream dial is $3,450 USD OBRO [SOLD], which includes fully insured worldwide shipping. Bank Wire strongly preferred on this transaction but Paypal is still OK with split fees (+2% to the buyer). Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.

Omega145020Soccer-7 copy.jpg Omega145020Soccer-9 copy.jpg Omega145020Soccer-2 copy.jpg Omega145020Soccer-4 copy.jpg Omega145020Soccer-1 copy.jpg Omega145020Soccer-bk copy.jpg Omega145020Soccer-move copy.jpg Omega145020Soccer-innrbk copy.jpg Omega145020Soccer-crwn copy.jpg Omega145020Soccer-sd copy.jpg Omega145020Soccer-brclt copy.jpg Omega145020Soccer-sun copy.jpg Omega145020Soccer-wrst copy.jpg Omega145020Soccer-3 copy.jpg
    CASE & BACK: Large but ergonomic stainless steel tonneau case measures 40mm wide (not including crown) x 44mm long x 13mm tall to the top of the crystal. The watch looks to have been professionally refinished at its 2013 Omega service and the chamfers are sharp and the sunburst graining on top of the case is essentially flawless. Worn sparingly since that time, this big Seamaster shows only minor marks — easily Excellent+ vintage condition. About the only demerit I can give this great watch is that on the outer caseback the original shallowly engraved Hippocampus and waterproof legend has been polished out completely. Now mirror-finished, the outer caseback has some minor scratches — externally, Very Good cosmetic condition. The inner caseback is corrosion free and has all the original Omega nomenclature of the period present, including this model's correct reference number.

DIAL & HANDS: Beautiful original creamy-white Omega Tritium dial featuring a finely articulated dark gray minute track and red/black sub-registers, with the oversized minute counter specially calibrated to easily read 45-minute intervals. The dial has a delightful textured matte finish, shows very few signs of age and all Tritium lume plots are present and have acquired a pleasing patina — Near Mint vintage condition. Correct black-accented hour and minute hands are likewise Near Mint with nicely matching Trit luminous fill and the fluorescent orange sweep seconds chrono hand is also Near Mint. The fixed inner Tachymeter scale is perfect and Mint and is correctly positioned. Simply a terrifically pleasing and classic original Omega Seamaster Soccer Timer layout in top condition!

CROWN & PUSHERS: Signed Omega winding crown is Excellent+ cosmetically, as are the pushers. The large winding crown winds and pulls out to the time-setting position as it should. The top pusher stops and starts the chronograph and the bottom pusher resets all chrono registers precisely to zero as designed.

CRYSTAL: Large, high-sided acrylic crystal with the small Omega symbol in the center is Excellent, clear and chip-free with only minor marks and scratches from wear.

MOVEMENT: Legendary Omega cal. 861 chronograph movement — same as found in the Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch from 1968 on — with 17-jewels and a 27 million serial number dating it to circa 1968 looking very bright and pristine. As stated above, this watch had a complete service at Omega UK around 2013 although the prior owner was unable to find the documentation for it. If it should turn up it will certainly be sent along to you! Therefore, all chronograph and time-keeping functions operate properly, with crisp start/stop and reset of the chrono hands, and this manual wind Seamaster is keeping very good time with a strong power reserve. Guaranteed to be operating properly at the time of shipment.

STRAP & BRACELET: This great Soccer Timer comes on a genuine modern Omega black leather strap with signed steel buckle. The strap has been worn a few time and is just at the break-in phase with no perspiration marks or damage, Excellent nearly new condition. The watch will also come with a stainless ROWI “Oyster”-style bracelet with straight ends for a cool retro look. This watch has a 22mm lug width.

As a matter of policy I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form due to its age.

This great Vintage Omega Seamaster Soccer Timer is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer. This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
    T.
    [email protected]

Edited Nov 7, 2016
  2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 17, 2016

Tom, GLWS!
    Hope you don't mind me marking this beauty, it's phenomenal.

Quadrophenic-Schizophrenia

Darlinboy and RawArcher like this.
  3. tomvox1 Oct 18, 2016

Cheers and thank you, sir! :thumbsup: [​IMG]
    Best,
    T.

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 19, 2016

I can't say enough about this watch, Tom.
    I've owned a similar 145.020 since 1972 and I constantly get compliments and am asked if my 44 year old watch is "brand new".
    The style is timeless, a dress watch on black leather, a sport watch on a bracelet and a diver on mesh!

In the 4 years I've followed the forum, I think this is the second .020 I've seen for sale.

noelekal and dlg like this.
  5. tomvox1 Oct 20, 2016

Thanks again, mate -- they are very cool! :cool:
    Best,
    T.

6. tomvox1 Oct 20, 2016

ON HOLD.
    Best,
    T.

oddboy likes this.