Rare Vintage 1950s 14k Solid Gold Hamilton "scott" W/original Dial

Reluctantly letting this beauty go after making a play for a Rutledge...can't keep 'em all! 😉

Up for sale is this rare 1950s Hamilton "Scott" in solid 14 karat yellow gold.This is the second "Scott" model, the first being produced in the 1930s and having a completely different design, and it was only manufactured for a few years in the early 1950s by the legendary American marque from Lancaster, Pennsylvania.This great tonneau watch features its original silver dial and is in Excellent condition overall.To put the cherry on top of the sundae, the back of this "Scott" is completely dedication-free, making this hard-to-find model even more special.Simply put, this beautiful watch is a scarce mid-century design classic for the advanced Hamilton collector.

The asking price for this wonderful original example of Hamilton "Scott" is $850 USD OBRO including fully insured worldwide FedEx shipping. Bank Wire preferred.Paypal is also OK with split fees (+2%).Other payment options upon application.Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.
CASE & CASEBACK: Fantastically cool and elegant “bat wing” lug case in solid 14k yellow gold measures approximately 41mm long x 23mm wide (not including crown) and about 9mm at full crystal height, fairly big by Hamilton standards. Although there are some minor scratches/swirlies to the case and back and one small nick to the edge of the bottom lug, the chamfers and details are extremely crisp. I can’t say with certainty that the watch has never been polished but if it has, it was a very light buffing at most. By my strict standards, I rate this case as solidly Excellent. The snap-in caseback is correctly hallmarked for 14k solid gold, and has sharp Hamilton and S&W signatures, the latter being the case manufacturer Schwab & Wuischpard, I believe. I needn’t point out to Hamilton enthusiasts how difficult it is to find casebacks without dedications or monograms, so that makes this rare “Scott” even more special in my opinion.

DIAL & HANDS: Original factory-printed silver dial with hand-riveted 18k gold pyramid and dagger hour markers is Excellent and absolutely gorgeous, with only the most minor marks from over 60 years of life and a bit of oxidation to the markers. This watch features a contrasting finish minute track and fully delineated subsidiary seconds chapter. The gold dauphine hands are Near Mint, as is the small seconds hand. With so many refinished Hamilton dials out there, it really is spectacular to see an original in this sort of beautiful condition.

CROWN: Correct unsigned knurled gold crown winds and pulls out to the time-setting position as it should and sits flush to the side of the case.

CRYSTAL: Unique arch-domed oblong acrylic crystal is basically scratch-free and Near Mint. Creates a very cool effect on the wrist as it completes the arc begun by the shape of the lugs.

MOVEMENT: Normally I would take movement photographs but I simply do not feel qualified or comfortable removing the works from the caseback, where they are securely housed. Guaranteed to be a high grade and correct manual wind Hamilton movement original to this watch or your money back (and it is most probably the legendary 19 jewel cal. 982 M). The watch is running strong and keeping very good time, although I do not know the service history and so cannot say that it will not need service in future. Guaranteed to be working properly upon shipment.

BAND: This great “Scott” comes on a very nice full-length vintage dun brown genuine ostrich strap that is just at the break in phase and easily Excellent The buckle is plated steel and generic. This Hamilton takes straps with 18mm ends.

I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form, as this watch was never guaranteed water resistant by Hamilton from new and certainly isn’t any more so now. 😉

This great Vintage Hamilton is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer. This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
T.
[email protected]

Love the watch, and was thinking about getting it for my wife. But someone pls explain to me why she likes the classic tank, but doesn't like this at all! (oh, and before you ask, I only sent her selected pictures, not those first couple where you can clearly see the background....)

Love the watch, and was thinking about getting it for my wife. But someone pls explain to me why she likes the classic tank, but doesn't like this at all! (oh, and before you ask, I only sent her selected pictures, not those first couple where you can clearly see the background....)
Thanks for the kind words. While this watch is not large, I feel the angles and styling define it as "masculine". Like most Hamiltons, actually--not a lot of crossover appeal--when I see one, I always think of a guy smoking a pipe in a tweed jacket not a sexy dame. 😉 So maybe that's what she is reacting to. For me, this watch radiates more "50s Industrial Design" than "Audrey Hepburn". 😁
Thanks again & best regards,
T.