Forums Latest Members
  1. boyd May 26, 2011

I have had this watch for nearly fifty years and now I'm retired I am trying to trace its history. I bought the watch from a work colleague, a former Polish POW who I was told acquired the watch from a German officer during his escape. Interesting story but could it be true? I cannot find anything similar at all on the net. There are no external markings.

Charles@UW likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 26, 2011

Looks almost like a converted pocket watch

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 27, 2011

I think you're going to have to find a watchmaker, have it opened, and write down all the numbers and details on the inside of the caseback. If you can get serial numbers, Omega has a very good online vintage watch database that could help you find further information.

4. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF May 27, 2011

Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

I would agree with Ashley, definitely looks like a converted pocketwatch. Would certainly like to find more out about it, and it certainly sounds like a fascinating backstory

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 28, 2011

I've seen this a fair bit, there was a guy selling a Patek Philippe authentic 47mm wristwatch not too long ago (think I linked it to Trev at the time). It was a genuine Patek pocket watch, turned sideways, with a secondary case and lugs attached to it, and a 22mm strap. Because they'd turned it sideways, the dial had been refinished with the Patek logo reprinted 90 degrees to the left, and the seconds subdial was at 9:00 o'clock.

All in all, a very bad thing to do to a Patek. In this case they've not rotated it but you can still see what it was originally.

6. boyd May 31, 2011

Thanks for all the comments. I'm surprised that somebody would go to the cost of converting the watch which I can only assume would de value it. That said, everybody always use to comment on the size of the watch which made it very unusual. Today it looks like a normal watch size. I've got some numbers off the back which are SP1278X, ZM9951, ZM15401, A375, P1076, 0128, C/O MIS, 27/4/59. Does this mean anything to anyone? Any idea of value?

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2011

Could you post a photo?

Those don't really sound like something you'd find on an Omega.

I'd do a bit of research, because right now, as an Omega watch, its worth basically very little. I mean if you went to a pawnbroker you'd probably get under $100.

However. To a military memorabilia collector, it could be interesting. The inscription "C/O MIS, 27/4/59" I'm guessing could mean Commanding Officer M.I.S. from 27th April 1959.

Now that becomes rather interesting. There was an organization in Poland called the Military Internal Service, that existed from 1957 to the 1990s (during the communist era) that were a sort of secret police (read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_Military_Service)

Now the other numbers could be service number, or serial number, you never know, if it was a commanding officer, it could have been someone of some importance in Poland.

Now if this is the case, that would take it from a ruined Omega pocket watch that has modest value even in original condition, to a cold war curiosity of significance to collectors of militaria and history. This, coupled with the fact that he may have worn it in its present configuration MAY make it worth something more than that, maybe a couple of hundred, maybe more to a collector with an interest in this very narrow field of history.

On the other hand, I could be completely wrong, in which case you're back to square one. I am keen to see the photos of the markings just purely out of interest, and I hope this is of some help or direction, maybe if it actually WAS a Polish M.I.S. commanding officer that owned it you can find out who, and attach a name to it, and maybe see if that person ever did anything interesting in World War II or in Polish politics. That's where I'd go with this.

As it is, trying to sell it will get you about nothing, and its better to just had it on to a family member or keep it as a conversation piece though.

8. Mahdi Jan 10, 2020

Hi Im new to all this, is it possible for you to give me more infomation on how to access this database - I have an old omega in rose gold I want info on and cant seem to find.

9. vbrad26 Jan 10, 2020

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/vintage-watches

10. Mahdi Jan 10, 2020

Thanks a million - WOW ! I feel like I have been in a lonely space thinking im all alone until now - I`ve made CONTACT with the other side lol ::psy::

11. Mahdi Jan 10, 2020

12. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 10, 2020

How has this thread gotten so long without a photo?

Here’s a chair that I recently had reupholstered 7D1E3583-3E01-4458-BAD0-A0C1652EAEC6.jpeg

kkt, Donfiore, Mahdi and 15 others like this.
  13. gefmey Jan 10, 2020

There must be a photo somewhere, otherwise this whole thread makes no sense.

DaveK likes this.
  14. vbrad26 Jan 10, 2020

Probably has something to do with the thread being almost 9 years old...

Syrte and DaveK like this.
  15. Walrus Jan 10, 2020

Lovely color choice

DaveK likes this.
  16. gefmey Jan 10, 2020

:thumbsup:

vbrad26 likes this.
  17. CPRwatch Jan 10, 2020

Very nice looks comfortable too .

DaveK likes this.
  18. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 10, 2020

It was actually a very close match to the original colour. Oh, wait, does this make it a redial?!

watchyouwant and Walrus like this.
  19. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 10, 2020

[​IMG]

Mahdi, 89-0 and DaveK like this.
  20. Mac5 Jan 10, 2020

That's a nice reupholstered chair! Seems to be a lost art.