Forums Latest Members

SOLD Rare 1945 Rolex Oyster Precision Double Reference Semi-California Dial 4461/4377 34.5mm

1. Laharrier Mar 9, 2018

Here she is again y'all, in the correct sales forum. It is also listed on watchuseek, my username there is Laharrier and on ebay I am Homesteadsupplyco

Please feel free to have a look at my feedback for verification of my credentials.

I am also on Instagram as @homesteadsupply where you may have a look at my profile and content.

[Watch Details]

The serial on this watch (338XXX) dates it to 1945. It is an exceptionally rare double reference transitional model. It is stamped with both a 4377 reference and a 4461 reference. This indicates that the dial configuration and the super rare Royal Oyster case (with concave bezel) were present on this watch from the factory. I’ve done a ton of research and haven’t been able to find a single other watch like it. I have seen a few Bubblebacks with a similar Semi-California dial, but never have I encountered them in the Oyster Royal case you see here. Considering the double reference, it gives credence to the fact that this was cased up at Rolex and meant to be a transitional model of sorts. Id be shocked if there were more than 10 of these in the world today, as I havent seen a single other example come up at auction or for sale.

[That Beautiful Dial]

The watch has a very rare “Semi-California” radium dial. These dials had the numerals pressed into them and were then filled with radium. The hands on this particular watch were also set with radium, and they sat unmoved for decades and you can see where the radioactivity actually burned the dial where they were sitting! It’s the kind of patina that makes watch fans go nuts. One commenter yesterday called it a “literal trail of time.” and I think that’s a really lovely way of describing it. The burns would have taken decades of staying in one position to produce.

[Radium?!]

Early watch lume was commonly made from radium mixed with phosphor, but over time people began to how bad contact with radium could be and stopped using it for commercial goods in the 1960s. The consensus now on these old watches is that they contain a only a small amount of radium and the radiation they emit is very low (and similar to many everyday objects/scenarios). However, it is strongly recommended that you not open the watch without taking precautions. The background radiation is low, but direct contact with radium would be unwise. Here is a good article about it if you have concerns.

[Condition]

The case is quite nearly mint, and has likely never been polished. Id hesitate to say NEVER but the case looks VERY good and the edges are sharp and unbroken. Very few scratches and the bevels are as sharp as can be. It looks like this watch was hardly ever worn. The hands are original, the dial is original, and both are untouched. I suspect that the crystal is original as well based on the style and given the near-mint condition of the case, but I can’t guarantee it.

[Size]

34.5mm case (without crown), 19mm lugs, 41mm lug to lug, 11mm tall. These measurements are as close as I can get as I dont have a caliper, but trust these are conservative measurements.

[Functions]

Winding and time-setting are both very smooth. Hands align very close to perfectly on the hour.

[Time]

Watch is keeping excellent time and appears to only run a few seconds fast per day, however this may vary as I havent timed it formally. The watch is a true estate find and caseback marking indicate it was last serviced in 1997, but I believe this was done and then the watch stored away for the last 20 years as all functions work excellently including setting and winding, timekeeping and power reserve. The new owner may wish to have it serviced however I dont mind the way it runs now and have not serviced it myself. Accordingly as with all vintage watches, especially of this age, I can not issue any mechanical guarantees but the watch is working great and Im sure you will find it to do so as well.

[Price]

Asking $3750 for the watch, payable through PayPal. Open to reasonable offers. Buyer pays fees and express overnight shipping. I’m not really looking for trades at the moment, but you never know! Feel free to send any of equal value and I’d be happy to consider them, especially Rolex, Omega, and the like.

Thanks for looking!!!

IMG_1237.JPG IMG_1238.JPG IMG_1239.JPG IMG_1240.JPG IMG_1241.JPG IMG_1242.JPG IMG_1243.JPG IMG_1244.JPG IMG_1245.JPG IMG_1246.JPG IMG_1251.JPG IMG_1216.jpg IMG_1217.JPG IMG_1236.JPG fullsizeoutput_71b.jpeg DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0010.JPG fullsizeoutput_71c.jpeg fullsizeoutput_719.jpeg fullsizeoutput_715.jpeg fullsizeoutput_716.jpeg DSC_0025.JPG fullsizeoutput_714.jpeg fullsizeoutput_712.jpeg
    Edited Mar 13, 2018
    rbob99, Autaviano, Rvm2 and 3 others like this.
  2. Laharrier Mar 11, 2018

Bump!

3. Laharrier Mar 13, 2018

Bump for more pictures and some updates to size. Accepting reasonable offers.

4. Laharrier Mar 16, 2018

Bump her up!

5. Laharrier Mar 17, 2018

Sold!