Forums Latest Members
  1. DIV Jun 9, 2016

I'm certainly no Omega Ranchero expert, but I have learned a lot in the last few months and seeing that they are more and more for sale online, I thought I would pass on what I learned about common redial varieties that I have seen in listings sometimes advertised as "original"....I'm certainly hoping that other vintage veterans member such as Pitpro can add their expertise....

OK. Here we go:
    Let's start with an original Ranchero 2996 dial:
    [​IMG] Here's the script:
    [​IMG]
    and here's the 12:
    [​IMG]
    Notice that the numbers are Sans Serif .

Now here is a very common redial variety. I have a feeling they were popular redials from many years ago (perhaps decades ago?). I would love some veterans to shed light on this (PitPro?).
    [​IMG]
    Note the Serifs on the numbers, the light orange patina on the arrows and trailing stem on the "o" which almost makes it looks like it's "Ranchera":
    [​IMG]
    Also notice that the curves of the numbers, especially the 2 of the "12" are slightly shorter than those on the original:
    [​IMG]

And finally here is a very popular replacement dial that was recently, but are no longer available from online Asian sources. It is a high quality replica dial with very accurately colored pseudo-patina on the arrows. It can be seen in Rancheros available on various online listings. It can quickly be identified by the accentuated and stylized Serifs on the numbers including the 3 in "30 mm":
    [​IMG]
    Notice the Ranchero script is very close to the original, but there is an extra direction change between the "h" and the "e" (perhaps as an intentional identifier of replication):
    [​IMG]
    Also notice the 2 of the "12" is fully curved over on top, but with added Serif:
    [​IMG]
    The newest variation of this dial features an "open" 6 and 9. This is replacement the dial I currently have (and enjoy) in my daily "beater" 2996:
    [​IMG]
    Which I feel is vastly superior to the dial that I bought it with:
    [​IMG]

The Rancheros are great vintage timepieces with Railmaster-similar features and movements, but values are largely dependent on the originality of the dial. I hope this has been helpful.

Edited Jun 17, 2016
  2. pitpro Likes the game. Jun 9, 2016

So far so good. This is a huge topic though
    bc there are many variations of dial and hands,
    especially with white and dress styles.
    Ok. You say the real are sans serif.
    Well they don't have the huge exaggerated endings,
    but they do have a small little parallel ink extension on the ends.
    That should be noted.
    The fakers seem to be in love with this watch so I am a little
    reluctant to give exact tells to help them make there work better.
    That wouldn't help any of us.
    How do these 3 look?
    24718666_1_l.jpg Picture 734.jpg anothervariationorfake3.jpg

Eve, Gummitarzan and Waltesefalcon like this.
  3. PaulC77 Jun 9, 2016

Great work guys, these are terrific posts with thought behind them to benefit the rest of us.
    I will study these on the train tomorrow to try and up my game!
    Thanks

gemini4 likes this.
  4. Steve1haggart Jun 9, 2016

The White dial ranchero us my favourite over the black . We are seaming more and more fakes of theses iconic watches coming on the markets. Love the post .

image.jpeg
  5. DIV Jun 9, 2016

Hey!...glad to see you joined in the discussion...thank you...the first 2 look legit, but the not the 3rd....although it's close the "Ranchero" script is quite off....
    Yeah, I should and could've expanded my examples to show white dial versions too, but like I said, I've seen predominantly 2 common replica dials quite often and was wondering if maybe you knew the history on them?

Fun stuff...

Gummitarzan likes this.
  6. DIV Jun 9, 2016

And then there's this popular variety. There is one currently listed at Chrono24.
    [​IMG]
    It looks pretty good as far as the script and the numbers, however it features the white Ranchero-style markers...specifically, partially lumed markers...an interesting combo....but wrong nonetheless.
    I must say, we've been fortunate (so far, anyway) that the "give-aways" to the replica dials have been pretty obvious if you know what to look for.

Edited Dec 1, 2016
  7. pitpro Likes the game. Jun 9, 2016

Well you get the prize!
    That 3rd one is the best fake I've seen.
    The others are lousy attempts that wouldn't fool
    most people and no, I don't know the history of them.
    Also notice the 3d reflection of the ink height on the numbers
    and the hour markers in the second picture.

8. DIV Jun 9, 2016

Yay!
    And yes, looking at my original 2990, the ink height is significant and yes, 3-D.
    Another look at that 3rd white Ranchero you posted...the numbers have small, yet intentional serifs....

Edited Jun 9, 2016
    watchyouwant and pitpro like this.
  9. Kazyole Jun 9, 2016

As someone who designs type and draws letters for my living, it makes me so happy to come into a thread on here and find people talking about the weight of serifs.

10. drainaps Jun 10, 2016

OP, I love your thread and your dedication to the cause. My only concern (I'm Asia-based) on reading these threads is that they're worth their weight in gold to the bad guys too....

I quit collecting vintage Rolex a few years back, sick and tired of ever-improving fake dials, fake cases fake everything. Even my go-to trader in Hong Kong burned his fingers on a couple of occasions with fakes of the Steve McQueen Explorer. They were that good.

I hope this doesn't fall in the wrong hands. Thanks again to you for a detailed and quality post.

11. mappleluna Jun 10, 2016

Funny to see the watch im wearing right now in a thread

image.jpg

12. leetse2 Jun 10, 2016

Great information and posts! Always wanted to pick up a Ranchero and now know where to go to help verify the authenticity.

13. DIV Jun 10, 2016

Wow!...small world...congrats...assuming that's the very same watch...that was a great eBay pick-up!...those original 2996's are hard to find..

mappleluna likes this.
  14. DIV Jun 10, 2016

I agree and certainly considered that before posting but I thought the following:
    1) I thought it would help more people than it would harm
    2) even if counterfeiters use this post to make better fake dials, the profit margin would still be much, much slimmer than that of some of the faked vintage Rolex models that were mentioned.
    3) none of my observations are new or earth-shaking, so if a "perfect fake dial" could be made, it could've been made decades ago....

15. bill5959 Jun 10, 2016

Here's one recently sold by European Watch Co. Was not quick enough to see it in person (out for service!) but even I can see a problem:) Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 10.58.30 AM.png

Gummitarzan and gemini4 like this.
  16. DIV Jun 10, 2016

Really?....I don't see any problems...looks pretty good to me....

watchyouwant likes this.
  17. bill5959 Jun 10, 2016

At the least, the wrong minute hand. They agreed.

18. micampe Jun 10, 2016

Hour hand is wrong too. At least the minute hand is the right length.

pitpro likes this.
  19. DIV Jun 11, 2016

Oh, I thought we were talking about. Dial....yes, both the minute and hour hands are too short.

20. pitpro Likes the game. Jun 11, 2016

White dial hand versions seem to be Broad Arrow,
    Alpha, and Dauphine, all with lume.
    The hands on this European Co watch don't seem to be
    correct. The hour hand should be longer with a slimmer
    shaft and the minute hand should be longer with a triangle
    shaped area for the lume. The hour hand's triangle
    area's base should travel in 2 distinct directions on original
    hands, giving it an arrowhead appearance.
    I would speculate that either Broad Arrow service hands were available
    at one time that had a shorter and fatter base for the hour hand, or
    more likely imo, there are or were fake Broad Arrow hands made
    to put with fake dials and these hands are a bit off in several respects

Edited Jun 11, 2016
    watchyouwant and Gummitarzan like this.