Forums Latest Members
  1. Elkjaer Mar 9, 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm new to your forum, however in my search for wisdom I came across it, and hopefully you can help me.
    I've won the auction on Ebay for an Omega Ranchero, described as authentic, however with a refurbished dial. After looking at a lot of Rancheros I suddenly find myself doubting some of the information given, hence this post:

As seen on the pictures it is a CAL268. As far as I've read CAL267 and 268 were both used in the Rancheros with subseconds, correct?
    The serial number states 18xxxxxx which is indicative of a 1961 production. However Rancheros were produced only in 57/58 so is this a showstopper, or does the serial sometimes differ slightly?
    The arrow on the hour marking as a straight edge back. I've seen both curved and straight, are they both original?
    The subsecond markings seem to be on the actual main dial, and not on their own subdial. Again, I've seen both on pictures, are both original?

Is there anything else that catches the eye?

Hoping for swift responses as payment is due within a couple of days.

I look forward to your replies..

Elkjaer

$(KGrHqF,!o8FEK!eTQOFBRMIrz1N6!~~60_57.JPG $(KGrHqV,!hEFEWh9dZjwBRMIr32(VQ~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16VHJGIE9nnWqr,QBRMIsS8q9w~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16Z,!w0E9szNZtbeBRMIsjudGQ~~60_57.JPG
  2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 9, 2013

Hello Elkjaer

I did a little research and have checked the data in Omega's "A Journey Through Time".

Cal 267 began production in 1956. Cal 268 is a next step development and began production in 1958. I cannot find any example of a cal 268 Ranchero in a known authentic watch, but as cal 268 corresponds to the 1958 production of Ranchero's it is not necessarily impossible they were used in a 2990 reference Ranchero.

But as you say, the serial no is a problem. Omega's table says 1961 is the earliest date for an 18m serial number.

The dial is redone, as the seller has told you.

Also, the second hand appears incorrect and it looks like there is no separate sub-dial for the seconds. Again, the known authentic watches I found all have a thin seconds hand - as on Dablitzer's watch.

They also all have a sunken sub-dial for the seconds, which yours does not. Possibly this is a dial from a different model which has been repainted in Ranchero style ?

Neither does the hour hand correspond, as the arrow is too small and has a flat base. The crown also looks to be incorrect - although that is a minor issue compared to some of the others.

While there are quite a lot of question marks over different parts of this watch, the serial no is the big one. Personally speaking this is enough for me to walk away, but obviously it's your decision.

Hope this is helpful.

3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 9, 2013

Well now I found this...
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/thread/1274272314/FS+-+Omega+Ranchero+2990+FAP

There was a European version of the 2990 which was sold as a Seamaster, so that confuses things. Your watch might be a redialled Seamaster 2990 (which explains the late serial no) or a late produced Ranchero (which aren't supposed to exist).

Given we know its a redial, it's still a leap of faith to believe this is a rare late production Ranchero & not a mislabelled Seamaster.

4. Dablitzer Mar 9, 2013

I've just realised you mention it's already a redial! My mistake, I was half asleep..

5. Elkjaer Mar 9, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my post.

I've sent some of the questions on to the seller, and he's ready to cancel the deal as he couldn't produce a valid answer to all of them. He's a major ebay seller with almost only good credentials so I don't think he has tried to mislead, perhaps more "not mention" the word original Ranchero in every bullet point, but simply original Omega.
    My feeling is that it's a frankenstein, but not a bad one at that. In fact I'd still like the watch, but have no intention of paying more than a couple of hundred bucks.

6. ulackfocus Mar 9, 2013

Two things about eBay watches:

1) Sellers can't be experts on every vintage watch brand, and most times they don't know much about any brand. (luckily we have a couple here that are very knowledgeable and honest.) As you mention, he might not have been trying to mislead you but didn't know better himself.

2) Odds are that most of the buyers who gave good feedback don't know squat about what they bought.

Nice to see the seller was gracious enough to take it back since you were able to show good reason.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 9, 2013

The hands don't look right to me either. There seems to be a rust problem on the winding wheel. Who knows how deep that goes.

On the "Ranchero" thing. Watches under that name were marketed in the US through at least 1959. Almost of the original ones I've seen have been in the 15M to low 17M serial number range regardless of caliber. I have little doubt that this is a Ref. 2990 made to look like a Ranchero.

gatorcpa

PS - I see that I'm a little late on the response.

8. Elkjaer Mar 9, 2013

Thanks again for the replies, deal is cancelled (kind of him) and I'm once again on the lookout for a black dial ranchero....a little bit wiser this time;-)

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 9, 2013

I know it is hard to give up a hopeful aspiration. I think you made the right decision.

10. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 9, 2013

The watch is total garbage.
    Fake hands
    Fake dial
    Trash movement not even close to correct serial or Ref #
    Finding a real one is difficult and you won't buy it for
    $900. The collectors that know what a real Ranchero
    is will bid them up.
    Here's a real untouched example for your reference.

DSC_0043-8.jpg
    DSC_0044-6.jpg DSC_0053-3.jpg DSC_0051-5.jpg

BenBagbag and Dablitzer like this.
  11. alam Mar 9, 2013

Very nice :thumbsup: - now, what's behind or the reason for the name Ranchero on these models? ::confused2::

12. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 9, 2013

Marketing flub.
    Lost in translation.

In 1958, Omega created a watch line it called Rancheros. It was inspired by the Railmaster, the Seamaster 300 and the arrowhead hand of the 1957 Speedmaster so there was no mistaking its lineage. The watch encountered resistance in Spanish-speaking countries from potential customers who were put off by its name that means “ranch hand” in Spanish. As a result, the Rancheros, were discontinued and are quite rare today. Ironically, this scarcity has led to high prices in the vintage watch market and the once modest Ranchero has become quite the collector’s item.
    The name had a short revival in 1976 but only in Belgium. Omega’s general agent there had hoped that an entry level model would stimulate what he felt were sluggish sales of Seamasters. The revival was short lived and the Ranchero is destined to be one of the most famous of the lost lines.

konung39 likes this.