Ranchero 2996 with black dial and dauphine hands authentic?

Hi there,

after searching the forum and elsewhere, I mostly only found pictures of black Rancheros with broad arrow hands. Can a black one with center second and dauphine hands be authentic?

Thanks for your help!

There is a "Seachero" variant (Ranchero 2996 case with a Seamaster dial) with a black dial, dauphine style hour and minute hands and a sweep second hand, but they are very difficult to find and very expensive. Search for PAF Seamaster or Pakistan Air Force Seachero and you'll fnd photos of examples.

Thanks. I’m sorry I can’t post a picture. It seems to be a real ranchero from 1959 (serial 169…) without air force history and not a seachero. Of course I will try to dig deeper. Is there a picture of a catalogue or an advertisement of that time with dauphine hands?

OP, I'm sure that you are already aware of this if you are Ranchero shopping, but be advised that there is no Omega model that has more redials, frankens and outright frauds. Study up before you pull the trigger because authentic original Rancheros in good condition are very, very rare.

I think this Ranchero is suspicious.
The caseback has an engraved 2990 1 SC which should be the small second version.(?)
Underneath an additional 2996 can be found.
SC and 2996 have a different style than the 2990 1.
A renumbered Caseback? Strange.

Thanks, it seems that originally the caseback was without the SC.

Oh, I found a picture of caseback with the additional SC and the added 2996. Seems it‘s not a singular appearance.

https://www.watchprosite.com/omega/my-humble-contribution-to-this-thread--/677.690008.4432393/
Reference 2990 and 2996 are the same case. Reference 2990 is the small seconds subdial version and should have a caliber 267 movement. Reference 2996 is the center sweep seconds version and should have a caliber 284 or 285 movement. The only difference between the two cases is that the 2990 has a flat case back and the 2996 has a slightly domed case back to accommodate the taller center sweep seconds movement. This is the reason that both reference numbers are stamped on the inside of the case back - the case is the same, only the case backs are different.

Thanks, the fact that the cases are the same, tells me, the case can be correct. What do you think about the flat restamped 2990 caseback? The movement is a 284, so this flat caseback should be not deep enough, right? Since I found two examples of this 2990 caseback, maybe it fits despite it?

I just found one of the main „franken-sign“: the dial is newer, the Omega-Logo is the modern one. Now I have many signs of being not original (dial, hands, crown, caseback, strap and buckle) and there is not much left that makes a watch 😉
Thanks for your help, I won’t buy the watch.

You’re not going to find an authentic Ranchero that is in good original condition for a bargain price. Be prepared to pay $4,500 to $7,500 or more for a good example. And do your research. Because the Ranchero was only manufactured for two years, and further because many unsold Rancheros were converted to “Seacheros” by putting Seamaster dials into Ranchero cases, there are relatively few authentic Rancheros that come to the market for sale. There are also many franken, redialed and relumed Rancheros that are marketed as being original when in fact they are not. Below are photos of my 1958 Ranchero and 1958 Seachero. Both are in original condition. You can see how the cases are identical.
upload_2023-6-25_11-17-40.jpeg
upload_2023-6-25_11-19-55.jpeg