Forums Latest Members
  1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 5, 2018

[Edit : this years event happens tomorrow...for those who would like to tune in.]

And now for something completely different...

For years I have sat with sweaty-palms watching the awesome insanity that is the Redbull Rampage, wishing I had 1/10th of the skill involved. This year was no different.

Major difference this year is, for some reason, POV clips have taken more than a week to come out, and even then the winning run POV is not out.

If you have no idea what I am talking about ... its a competition akin to big-mountain-skiing, but on bicycle, without any soft snow, so much higher risk, and a bit more skill involved (IMHO). Riders are allowed to bring 2 buddies, and have 10 days to build their line.

2018 Winning run ...

2018 Second place run ...

Anybody else follow? For those that see this for the first time...how sweaty are your palms?!

Edited Oct 24, 2019
  2. neilfrancis Nov 5, 2018

totally insane.

Wivac, dscoogs and eugeneandresson like this.
  3. Om3ga321 Nov 5, 2018

These guys have got big balls or no brains.I am undecided as yet.

4. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Nov 5, 2018

Balls of steel and skills of a cat, absolutely incredible.

Wivac and eugeneandresson like this.
  5. Canuck Nov 5, 2018

An unfulfilled death wish, as I see it.

6. Lucasssssss Nov 5, 2018

I watch this every year, and have been lucky enough to ride with some of the UK guys who have competed in the past. I thought it was a good year this year, but would have given first to Andreu, but I come from a BMX background and favour the tricks rather than the technical MTB drops and lines.

Whenever I watch Rampage, I am really nervous for the guys out there, am always reminded of the famous crash by Cam Zink in training. He was fine, but it really shows what is at stake.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 5, 2018

My mountain bike is underutilized these days but when I was riding back east, the one thing you needed to learn was to pick a line, shut your brain down and trust your bike, (Same as skiing really) ... Still I used to bleed a fair amount and all I was doing was taking on the short rocky down hills on trails. These guys make the incredibly hard look effortless.

DaveK, eugeneandresson and Wivac like this.
  8. Wivac Terribly special Nov 5, 2018

My big drops days are a long way behind me (I'm happy with not increasing the % of me to titanium thangyewverymuch, although I have just started rebuilding my surviving Trouble Maker :D ) however, I would have been in a lot more trouble had Rampage been around back then as inspiration, next level stuff.

Rampage has always been super nuts, the lines, the gaps, the risks. I'm aware some of the Pros view it as a no-go given the risks vs the perceived reward / kudos ,one small mistake and that could be your career over, guess it depends on what drives you in sport.

Having said that, think RB have done well with the series, its one of their more entertaining events and certainly seems to have captured folks attention.

[Edit] The old banger in a new suit and boots for those that are interested

20180917_193811.jpg
    Edited Nov 5, 2018
  9. Waltesefalcon Nov 7, 2018

Maybe a combination of the two.

10. vbrad26 Nov 7, 2018

I love watching it.
    In Florida, there is not much "mountain biking" to speak of, although we do have some good trails and built up tracks.
    Used to do it a lot but I am more of a rodie now...
    However huge respect to those guys, they certainly have guts I'd never have hah.

11. MCC Nov 7, 2018

Never seen this before, it is completely nuts !!

12. sdre Nov 7, 2018

Very cool but I definitely get that sinking feeling whenever I see this.

13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 7, 2018

Let’s not forget Kelly Mcgarry (RIP), the first guy to backflip the 72ft canyon gap...

Or the first guy to attempt to front flip it...

DaveK and Wivac like this.
  14. Wivac Terribly special Nov 7, 2018

Yeeeeeeeeh.....Nope from me.

Stunning though.

vbrad26 likes this.
  15. Wetworks Nov 7, 2018

I'm pretty much a roadie, but I have started to dabble with MTB, and that's the hardest part for me. What's weird is on the road I'm pretty fearless descending, so you'd think that part of my brain would kick in for MTB as well, but thus far no.

What's always impressive to me about these runs is that people figured out the runs in the first place. Lots of math and trial and error I would think

vbrad26 likes this.
  16. Lucasssssss Nov 7, 2018

Having built a load of trails from dirt jumps to downhill, after a while you get a feel for it and for how fast you should be going. Also bear in mind that you probably have about 30% leeway with the landing depending on how you ride the jump, pulling up/squashing/breaking to go shorter and pushing through/cranking to go further. I don't think there is any math involved, trial and error on the other hand...

Wetworks likes this.
  17. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Nov 7, 2018

I always thought this was a rampage.::puke:: dodge-rampage-min-768x454.jpg

eugeneandresson, kkt and Mad Dog like this.
  18. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 7, 2018

And Danny MacAskill!

Edited Nov 7, 2018
    eugeneandresson likes this.
  19. Wivac Terribly special Nov 8, 2018

MegaAvalanche was always the one I wanted to do.
    Racing down an entire mountain, every type of terrain, always good value to watch. I can't find the hilarious vid from a couple of years ago where there are a big group of riders all piled up together sliding down the mountain with the bikes riding them, so this will give you an idea if not familiar:

eugeneandresson likes this.
  20. vbrad26 Nov 8, 2018

You missed one of my favorites!

Wivac, oddboy and eugeneandresson like this.