Forums Latest Members
  1. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 10, 2019

I have been looking for this model El Primero for a while and suddenly, there are three on eBay. One is way overpriced so I have nixed it from the get go, which leaves me with two. I would like your thoughts.
    The first is from a German seller, asking about $3200 with shipping. It's probably the angle of the photo but the back looks like the reference info has been polished off. I translated the listing because Goole isn't translating the body of the listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zenith-Rai...Kal-400-Stahl-Gold-seltenes-blau/143094782371Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    ZENITH EL PRIMERO MEN'S WATCH RAINBOW CHRONOGRAPH IN RARE BLUE ORIGINAL LUXURY WRISTWATCH BUY YEAR APPROX. 1990-2000 NUMBER BLUE ZENITH AUTOMATIC CALIBER 400 DIAMETER APPROX. 40 MM WITHOUT CROWN WITHOUT BOX AND PAPERS SCRAPED FLOOR MOVEMENT: Automatic mechanical movement El Primero, the watch is unopened. FUNCTIONS: Hours, minutes, decentral second, 30min counter, 12h counter, date, HOUSING: Polished stainless steel with tachymeter scale and rotating dive bezel in blue, screwed crown and pushers DIAL: Beautiful blue dial, finely worked with straight, gold-colored hands and attached indices with Luminous mass, signed with Zenith ElPrimero Automatic BODY: Screwed bottom GLASS: Probably original sapphire glass HANDY: Original hands BRACELET: Original Zenith stainless steel / gold bracelet, with original Zenith folding clasp BOX: Without box and papers.
    [​IMG]

The second is from a Polish seller asking about $3400 with free shipping. This one has a box and has supposedly been serviced. The listing translates so reading isn't an issue. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZENITH-RAINBOW-El-Primero/323644587332Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]

2. Dan S Feb 10, 2019

My main impression is that you found two nice examples with only minor differences and I don't think you could go wrong with either of them.

The Polish piece seems to be slightly cleaner and less polished, but I'm also cognizant of the fact that the German photos are higher resolution, so that could be causing a bias. The German one has some signs of polishing on the case-back, and minor polishing of the lugs (lower left lug in third photo), and possibly minor polishing on the knurled bezel. But this is being pretty picky. Aesthetically, it seems that there may be a bit better match of the lume between hands and dial on the Polish piece, whereas the lume on the dial has aged a bit darker on the German watch. Again, all of this could just be my perception because the photos of the German piece are better at exposing the minor flaws.

The Polish seller doesn't appear to have any feedback as a seller.

marco likes this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 10, 2019

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed that about the Polish seller, also.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 12, 2019

I actually won the Japan Yahoo auction on this one that was listed as a BIN on eBay for over $1000 more than I paid. Pretty pleased but will see when it arrives.
    [​IMG]

fskywalker and Dan S like this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 12, 2019

Of course you'll have to get new boots to go with it. :thumbsup:
    proxy.php.jpg

Strangedream, wristpirate and Vitezi like this.
  6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 12, 2019

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 12, 2019

I'm thinking a pair of Lucchese Ostrich.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 12, 2019

Always suspected you were a top quality guy .:D

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 12, 2019

I doubt your suspicions will be confirmed.

10. fskywalker Nov 10, 2019

Congrats! Pictures of it would be nice! :thumbsup: