Railroad standard wrist watch display.

In preparation for our railroad standard wrist watch exhibit at a train show, this coming week end, here are 17 watches comprising 3 mechanicals (not set to time) including a stem wind Elgin, two Ball Trainmasters (self winders), one Seiko quartz, one Rodania quartz, one Bulova quartz, and 12 Accutron 214 and 218 models. They will be grouped out of the display cabinet shown, and in several groups of similar watches.

IMG_2642.jpeg

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. <]; -)
If turnips were Ball Trainmaster watches, I’d wear one on my wrist 😁

Great collection all around. I have a fondness for sub seconds, can you tell us more about this one?

IMG_0886.jpeg

Great collection all around. I have a fondness for sub seconds, can you tell us more about this one?

IMG_0886.jpeg

That one is a manually wound, 1950s vintage Elgin B W Raymond. It might be a grade 716. Most railroad standard wrist watches are equipped with a centre sweep seconds hand. But somehow, this one with the sub seconds hand was approved for railroad use. This particular one belongs to one of the others in our group. This model is free sprung, that being there is no standard regulator with curb pins. The arms on the balance form a pair of opposing volutes, and there are weights on the arms that can be moved in unison, outward following the volutes to slow the watch down, and inward to speed the watch up. This is not a great picture. If you need more detail, let me know.

Canuck,
What a fabulous collection. I have a 1964 Bulova Accutron M4 214H which I've scrapped and you can have for free.

Laneside

That one is a manually wound, 1950s vintage Elgin B W Raymond. It might be a grade 716. Most railroad standard wrist watches are equipped with a centre sweep seconds hand. But somehow, this one with the sub seconds hand was approved for railroad use. This particular one belongs to one of the others in our group. This model is free sprung, that being there is no standard regulator with curb pins. The arms on the balance form a pair of opposing volutes, and there are weights on the arms that can be moved in unison, outward following the volutes to slow the watch down, and inward to speed the watch up. This is not a great picture. If you need more detail, let me know.

Many thanks. The sub seconds on a DR wrist watch was a surprise. But every day here is a surprise.

Makes me wish my B.W. Raymond was finished. I finally found a nice NOS dial for it, and right now the marred case lugs on mine are off being repaired by a jeweler friend of mine. Here is the time I shared it on the pocket watch thread.

I've been on an Accutron kick lately, and have been wearing my RR approved one for the past few days now.
20240913_085545.jpg