Forums Latest Members

Railroad Constellations - The same with a few subtle differences

1. Dablitzer May 24, 2014

I've been fortunate enough to find these two railroad constellations, both caliber 551's. In nice shape. Both have nice sharp facets and clean dials:

[​IMG]

One with white gold dial furniture and numerals in a steel case:

[​IMG]

The other with gold dial furniture in a steel case:

[​IMG]

Would be nice to see any others that have surfaced!

Hijak, Selbo, Event horizon and 12 others like this.
  2. John R Smith May 24, 2014

A superb pair of Connies, Alex, really crisp cases and the unusual railroad dials - stunning :thumbsup:

Dablitzer likes this.
  3. cristos71 May 24, 2014

Well you´ve seen my rose gold capped before, but it´s nice to put it in this thread anyway.

It does have a lot of age to it but despite its faults still looks pretty on the wrist and retains just enough vintage charm I think :)

079.JPG

GregH, Hijak, Event horizon and 6 others like this.
  4. Dedalus May 24, 2014

Those are stunning. Love that there is always something new for me to research. ::love:: ::book::

Dablitzer likes this.
  5. Pahawi May 24, 2014

::love:: Congrats, and DIBS;)

GregH and Dablitzer like this.
  6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member May 24, 2014

Really nice pair, I really like the arabic 369 version! :thumbsup:

Dablitzer likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2014

The arabic is the coolest by far, didn't realise they made them with that layout

Dablitzer likes this.
  8. Dablitzer May 24, 2014

Me neither?! I still find it amazing that there are watches out there like that still to be discovered! :)

9. John R Smith May 24, 2014

I would love to know by who and how it was decided in the Omega design department, firstly which particular dial variations would be ordered, secondly how many of each style, and thirdly how the different styles would be delivered to Omega jewellers - or did the retailers themselves order specific variations? In the fifties in particular, it seems hardly two Omegas were (exactly) the same.

10. Dablitzer May 24, 2014

So would I.. :) I think the 50's has some of the most beautiful dial variations ever designed. I have only really focussed on these connies, and what I felt safe collecting.. Now I want to explore the reasons behind these variations, and if indeed they were catalogues mapping out the specific options when pre-ordering. I know these train track were special order to begin with, but to have the arabic dial layout and matching dial furniture must of been a specific option for the puchaser as well.

11. John R Smith May 24, 2014

A large part of the reason, if not the answer, must lie with one man - Rene Bannwart, the head of design at Omega from 1940. Rene left Omega in 1955 but his influence must have lingered on for a while, amongst the junior staff who had worked with him. His sense of style runs through everything at this time, I feel.

Dablitzer likes this.
  12. timeismoney May 24, 2014

Guess I will be second in line :p. Very nice pair, Alex. Sharp in every sense!

13. Selbo May 24, 2014

I've seen the gray metallic railroad dial with steel furniture which seems to be the most common model. I believe X350 XJR has a clean example. Then there are the Constellation Calendar versions but these seem to really break up the symmetry of the dial in my opinion. The Arabic one is really cool and something I've never seen before. I've been on the hunt for a railroad dial for some time. You just made the hunt even harder because I want one of the Arabic ones now!

On a related note, I've noticed that most railroad dials come with the flattened crown instead of the 10 sider. Is it safe to conclude that this flattened crown is the correct, standard issue for all railroad dials? Just curious...

14. Dablitzer May 24, 2014

Thanks Selbo,

The scallop crown is correct for this reference I believe.

If another Arabic comes up I shall let you know, I think I saw one recently..

Cheers

Selbo likes this.
  15. fjf May 24, 2014

Two beauties you got there, Dablitzer!. I have one of those grey dials, posted here before:

P1030165.JPG
    GregH, cristos71, Gavin and 2 others like this.
  16. Mothra May 24, 2014

Alex, which is your favourite?

17. Dablitzer May 25, 2014

I like them both for different reasons, if I had to choose I would probably say the all steel one, as the way it's aged is really nice against the steel markers! :)

18. timeismoney May 25, 2014

Can't stop coming back to these two, I need one!

Dablitzer likes this.
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 1, 2014

20. timeismoney Jun 1, 2014

Thanks, Ash. I will wait for the next train :p As we say around here; condition, condition, condition.

dsio likes this.