Forums Latest Members

Railmaster: What's this (side of case conundrum)?

1. Madjam1966 Jul 29, 2020

Having a bond with my Railmaster earlier and noticed, under bright light, that there is a patch of dulled brushing under the screw down crown (more noticeable when unscrewed fully) on the case side. It's square'ish, neat and appears to be intentional.

Any other Railmaster (and/or Aqua Terra) owners notice the same and/or can explain why this may be? At first I thought it was a protective film but it's definitely the finish of the steel.

Thanks.

IMG_20200729_212228.jpg
  2. Evitzee Jul 29, 2020

Maybe to insure a completely flat surface for the crown to screw down against?

3. Dan S Jul 29, 2020

I agree, an area that was milled flat for more consistent contact with the seal.

Madjam1966 and Foo2rama like this.
  4. dinexus Jul 29, 2020

Looks like a 'nothin-to-worry-about' to me ;)

Madjam1966 likes this.
  5. Madjam1966 Aug 2, 2020

Thanks all.

6. Madjam1966 Sep 27, 2020

Hi all again. Just been in to an AD (first time since lockdown) and took a look at another Railmaster. This one does not have this case marking, as per above. I'm now rather puzzled. Maybe the earlier RMs had this milled bit but newer ones do not?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 27, 2020

What did the AD say?

8. etamov Sep 27, 2020

Had it been refinished before, my guess would be it was done so while trying to avoid the crown and casetube.

9. Madjam1966 Sep 27, 2020

I didn't get a response as the person serving didn't seem to understand (me or the watch).

10. Madjam1966 Sep 27, 2020

Not sure. I bought it brand new from an AD in February, although it would appear to have been unsold for a year or two. I am the only owner.

11. Madjam1966 Sep 27, 2020

Maybe newer models don't have this milling? I gather some newer ATs have it too, so it seems?

12. Dedlock Sep 27, 2020

Could you post clearer pictures, I dont have anything looking odd around the crown of my Railmaster.

13. Madjam1966 Sep 27, 2020

I can't really take any better pics with my poor phone camera unfortunately. It's a duller patch of brushed steel under wear the crown screws down on to the case wide, that is hard to catch depending on the light.

14. Dedlock Sep 27, 2020

after some scrutiny I do see a small rectangular patch but I could be hallucinating. Its not visible unless you stare at it intently under a dull light source. I dont think its a watch flaw.

Madjam1966 likes this.
  15. Madjam1966 Sep 27, 2020

That's just how I reacted when I first saw it and it was several months after I bought it that I first noticed it. As the patch is so centrally positioned and straight edged I thought it was a bit of transparent plastic protection film initially. As others have said, it's probably made that way there to protect the crown's underside and/or the case side for when the crown is screwed down to meet the casing flush. Just seems strange why the brand new model I saw in the AD today didn't seem to have it. I can only assume there has been some micro adjustment many to the later casing so that this 'patch' is no longer needed.

I have seen pics of an AT with similar too, which of course has a similar casing shape/design.

16. Madjam1966 Sep 28, 2020

Quick update.

Just been to my local AD who have an authorised Omega service tech working there. This marking was new to him but he feels it is probably an intentional mark of tradition, for models that have a crown sitting flat to the case (as opposed to recess), almost 'decoration' and didn't think it's down to act as a layer of protection, per se. You can have it buffed to the existing brushed finish at service if you wish. To further clarify they will email Omega direct for official reason for this. Seems to be on Aqua Terras too, with the non recessed crown.

I feel this decision by Omega, if found to be quantified as true, is a little odd but it's a talking point, and most importantly, nothing to be concerned about.