Forums Latest Members
  1. maindelair Aug 21, 2019

Hello All,

I’m a french watch fan, I have several stuff and for a reason even me I can’t understand, I fell in love with the omega railmaster LE 57 anniversary
    But I have a trouble with the Beauty, her bask is scratched.
    Everybody knows that the railmaster le is a scratch magnet but on the back of the watch it’s exactly placed where the “protection” stick was when I got the watch (please check the pictures)

My question is : do you think the glue used by omega has created a weak on the watch back (like an acid) and this the reason why the scratched are exactly at the place of the stick ?
    In this case it’s an omega manufacturing default ?

Thanks a lot for your help

Julien

Ps : by the way I had also condensation after 5 min in the sea... I love this watch but why ?

AE58F1CB-3104-4B4F-900A-76D1E6B56453.jpeg 2005D5C8-31C1-48EC-BD48-E20C2C916D80.jpeg
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 21, 2019

Its a fully polished back and they do attract marks. Cape Cod cloth or similar would bring that up good as new in 2 mins. Those parallel vertical marks look like rubbing from the NATO, AKA NATO rash. use a case sticker between back and strap when using a NATO to avoid this.

Longbow and Foo2rama like this.
  3. maindelair Aug 21, 2019

Thank you Padders
    The trouble is I just used the bracelet
    By the way I take you advice for the Cape Cod cloth
    Thanks a lot !

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 21, 2019

Then the marks may be from where you rest the watch head on the back of the bracelet when not in use, or when the back bangs into the bracelet which has some sharpish corners and edges. Like I say, try a mild polishing cloth like Cape Cod, it'll come up great.

Seaborg and Foo2rama like this.
  5. maindelair Aug 21, 2019

I will thanks a lot Padders

6. cholack Aug 24, 2019

Agree with Padders.

You need to, in the future, cut yourself a piece of cloth or leather to put it in between the case back and bracelet to prevent this from happening again

7. Pun Aug 24, 2019

I would suggest you to enjoy this beautiful watch and forget about such scratches. It’s a tool watch after all. I take such scratches adding character to the watch. Relax and wear it in good health. It’s a great watch. (All of them can go when next service is due in future, if you still like to remove such character).

VOB, maindelair and LeonDeBayonne like this.
  8. Pun Aug 25, 2019

P. S. First few scratches on new watch are very painful but later on they add story to your watch. I’ve personally gone through such period with my watches and I mean what I say friend. Just relax and enjoy your watch. You’ll learn to tolerate such travails of this great hobby soon.

9. Martin_J_N Aug 25, 2019

My Seamaster is 10 years old, it has many scratches, most from desk diving and general wearing, when I first got the watch I didn’t bat an eyelid about wearing it everywhere and just got on with life.

But, and it’s a big but, my new Speedmaster is being babied something terrible, I don’t know why but for some reason I am just getting paranoid about scratches and constantly looking for them. Why I don’t know it never worried me before so why now? ‍♂️

10. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 25, 2019

eh, it was one thing when a 'tool watch' cost $150. Now with these costing $4,500 - $7,000 it's not quite the same. And I'm not sure scratches tell any kind of story, other then "Damn, cracked it into the $%#& doorway coming back from my coffee break again!"

11. maindelair Aug 29, 2019

Yes I know this "mandatory" step but usually it's scratche by scratche, this time it seems it was all scratches in one time, too heavy to manahe, but now I feel better ;-)
    thanks for the support !

Pun likes this.
  12. maindelair Aug 29, 2019

following the first scratch you will feel better

13. Pun Aug 29, 2019

See, now you’re feeling much better than when you posted first! That irritation too has, apparently, subsided for good.

maindelair likes this.
  14. rainking Aug 29, 2019

That's what I always say. I just accept that my watches will get scratched etc., but I don't like it. Every time I hear this whole "Dings and scratches tell a story" thing, I always think like you: what story? That I was being absentminded again and whacked my wrist into something like a dumbass? Gee, what a great story and memory LOL. Pretty sure the majority of dings and scratches on the majority of watches in the world weren't obtained while skydiving onto a yacht full of supermodels ;)

15. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 30, 2019

16. Ville_W Aug 31, 2019

Don’t follow that road. If you start polishing you will only start looking for new hairlines. Accept signs of wear and you will sleep much more comfortable

Pun and rainking like this.
  17. maindelair Sep 1, 2019

You’re right, just tried on the back with the cape cod to learn … by the way it’s just a small polish , it looks more shiny by scratches are always there , thanks god

Ville_W likes this.
  18. Longbow Sep 1, 2019

That’s certainly one cause, but the bracelet and clasp components rolling over the caseback is another.
    9FFF34CA-5540-4B02-9423-A79FE325C885.jpeg

@maindelair, If it’s any consolation Julien, yours has a long way to go before it starts looking like mine.

98FFE0B9-BB97-4267-8835-A15E9544D955.jpeg
    D27718C3-3612-44F0-93E5-41D1743B0A5C.jpeg

You aren’t going to live forever and a day spent worrying about scratches on a watch is truly a day wasted.

This is the sort of scratch that will test your metal:-
    40B48E42-121A-47F0-BB39-1A7C4F3ABEAA.jpeg

Wear it, enjoy it, you are already one of the privileged few!

P.S. my French colleagues also say default when I guess they mean defect or fault.

Edited Sep 1, 2019
    Pun likes this.
  19. henrikaa Sep 1, 2019

That does look like it is scratched quite a bit. I would be hurting a bit from those scratches...

20. maindelair Sep 2, 2019

ouche that's hurt,
    ok let's discuss further, all my watches have scratches (Rolex, Omega Seamaster, IWC mark) and my watches are old, I am just wondering if it's normal that my 1002 from 1973 has less scratches than my this year railmaster. Please Make no mistake I love this watch but they way this baby get older (have you seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ;-) ?
    In a reasonable way to think it seems a bit strange. From a love point a view non problem for me