Forums Latest Members
  1. DIV Apr 21, 2016

i have an incoming 39mm Railmaster reissue which comes with the broad arrow MINUTE hand:
    [​IMG]
    Yes, it's a great watch as is, but I am a huge fan of the original vintage configuration with the broad arrow HOUR hand:
    [​IMG]
    Has anyone completed or attempted a hand swap to this desired look?
    As the modern RM uses a 2500 caliber movement, I suppose the Planet Ocean hands would fit(?), even though it's not quite the same (it has lume on the stem), but also, I would need a non-arrow Dauphine minute hand...where would I get that?
    Otto Frei has these for example:
    http://www.ofrei.com/omega-watch-hands-caliber-2500.html

I would appreciate any help or comments, including a "don't even think about it, dummy!...keep it original and not a Franken!..."

2. meganfox17 Apr 21, 2016

Dear @DIV

You have waaayyyy...too much time on your hands....[​IMG]

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Baselworld 2017 commemorating the 60th Anniversary of the Omega Triumvirate of Masters

Syrte likes this.
  3. tyrantlizardrex Apr 21, 2016

The seamaster 300 reissue is pretty close to the look you want... but I've no idea of the hands will fit the movement.

[​IMG]

You could spend a chunk of time/money trying to achieve a look that you might not be happy with... maybe think on this a little more before going too deep down the rabbit hole. ;)

4. DIV Apr 21, 2016

Yes, I need to hear more words of discouragement....really. As much as I want my "perfect Railmaster (which may never exist, let's face it), I would prefer to avoid any "Franken-watch projects.

5. tyrantlizardrex Apr 21, 2016

How about waiting until it arrives. Wear it. See if you gel with it. See if the hands are really an issue.

You may be chasing a unicorn. ;)

6. DIV Apr 21, 2016

This will actually be my 2nd 39mm Railmaster, and my 3rd all toghether (I also had the 36mm for a short while) so I'm pretty familiar with it. But I have a feeling that I will gel with it better since this one is in better condition than the first one I had that had some corrosion on the hands which did deter from the esthetics of the piece....fingers crossed. Meanwhile, I do have a "poor man's Railmaster": Ranchero project in the works....

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  7. abrod520 Apr 21, 2016

I have a 2913-6, with the later hands (arrow minute) and while I originally thought it'd be a temporary holdover until I could find a nice earlier one, I actually really prefer the arrow minute - it makes it 100% easier to read! It's not hard to tell what hour it is, but the arrow on the minute hand makes it immediately clear what minute it is. I think you might find a similar satisfaction with your new Railmaster :)

8. DIV Apr 21, 2016

Nice piece, by the way!!! Good thoughts...I certainly hope you're right. A little variety isn't a bad thing anyway....thanks for posting.

9. DIV Jun 18, 2016

Does anyone know if any of the Speedmaster Broad Arrow hand sets would work?

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 18, 2016

Probably not. You will probably need hands for the calibre.. Planet Ocean is probably best option.

11. DIV Jun 18, 2016

Yeah, but those aren't the exact hands I'm looking for...I'm not giving up that easily...time to have a talk with my watchmaker....

12. cimo Jun 18, 2016

You could always just buy a vintage railmaster :p

I kid. Heck, I made a Seiko mod version because I like them so much. I don't think 7s26 hands will fit on your watch though.

13. DIV Jun 18, 2016

I hear you, but i really like the AT Railmaster, except for that one thing: the hands...I guess this is my backup plan in case Omega never releases a new retro version of the Railmaster....Interesting about the Seiko mod by the way...

Edited Jun 18, 2016
  14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 19, 2016

Sorry for thread drift, but since I too love vintage railmasters and SM300s, and this is the closest they've come to re-creating the vintage look -- does anyone have any idea why those were made only for men?
    Is there any evidence women will only like something like this (made for women):
    [​IMG]
    Guess we all have our own taste....

15. DIV Jun 19, 2016

http://en.lesrhabilleurs.com/omega-ranchero-a-simple-beauty/
    Not exactly the right answer for you, but I'm a big fan of the Ranchero and I think it's the perfect unisex watch. These shots made me almost get a white dial Ranchero for my wife:http://en.lesrhabilleurs.com/omega-ranchero-a-simple-beauty/

See what you think...

Syrte likes this.
  16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 19, 2016

Thanks much for sharing those shots -- they are really nice.
    There was one on sale one a European forum about a month and a half ago which I admired.
    But my point is not to buy a watch-- my point relates to Omega's current marketing: why do they think these types of models are not worthy of women? why do they think women will buy those clunky (ugly to me) seamasters and not those beautiful sleek /retro models such as the Spectre Seamaster? What is going on in those brains ? I don't suppose anyone's in the mind reading business and would have a ready answer though...

17. DIV Jun 19, 2016

Ok, yes, I hear you....IMHO, Omega already releases WAY too many models and different configurations. But yes, some ladies sizes would be good for sales, but it seems that the gender gap in luxury watches is gradually closing. 36mm is pretty standard now for ladies sizes, which was standard size for men not too long ago (still is for some). As far as the resto models, Seamaster 300MC for example- here are some thoughts:
    1) tradition dictates the size should resemble the original
    2) the model in question is NOT as sleek as I would like....I was in love with it until I tried it on and even on my 7-1/4" wrist it was way too clunky...
    [​IMG]