Forums Latest Members

Racing dial Speedmaster Pro - new build

1. photo500 Oct 14, 2014

Hi All,

Just finished building this Speedmaster with the grey racing dial. It's turned out ok but I used a combination of Speedmaster and flightmaster hands and I'm not sure it's worked. For a start the orange is a slightly different shade and it seems now that it's done there's just a bit too much, um orange altogether lol.

I'm considering changing the hour and minute hands to flightmaster ones (white tip black base), the running seconds hand to white and keeping the central seconds or changing that to the orange flightmaster version as it's much brighter and a bit wider.

What do you guys think? Opinions
    appreciated :)

There are a couple of fibres on the crystal that have cast shadows on the dial in the pic - it was taken in direct sun. Just in case you were wondering. I had to look twice too lol

[​IMG]

Dogmann and thehighwayjazz like this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 14, 2014

Doesn't look bad... you never really know until you see it put together I guess (photoshop notwithstanding).

If you're going to change it up, perhaps use orange for only the second hand and minute register, and have the others white. :)

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 14, 2014

The only thing I don't love is the triangular Flightmaster subdial hands, I'd almost be tempted to try using some Alaska Project subdial hands (the huge ones) and colour matching them, it'd be really unique and interesting but also it matches the rest of the watch more than the Flighty ones IMO

4. photo500 Oct 14, 2014

Thanks Darlin and Dsio, both good points. I'll have to order some more hands and have a bit of a play around with combinations. I'm reasonably sure the Alaska subdial hands aren't available but if anyone has info on that I'd love to hear it.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 14, 2014

Alaska project hands are on exchange only...

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 14, 2014

Of course he could always buy a couple of Alaska Project for extra stock :D

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 14, 2014

Personally I like it as is

photo500 likes this.
  8. Dogmann Oct 16, 2014

Hi photo500,

I think it looks great the way you have it just now and not too Orange at all but at the end of the day its your watch and you have to wear and look at it so only you can you know if you like it or not. I would imagine its not to difficult or expensive to play around with other hand combos and if you find something you like better I'm pretty sure it would still look great.

Marc

photo500 likes this.
  9. roach7 Oct 16, 2014

Doesn't look too bad the way it is

photo500 likes this.
  10. Hijak Oct 17, 2014

Me too!:thumbsup: Looks great...and as Dennis would say, Black and orange rule!::jumpy::

photo500 likes this.
  11. alam Oct 17, 2014

+1, add my vote to the likes camp!

photo500 likes this.
  12. photo500 Oct 17, 2014

Hey thanks guys for the kind words, I'm wearing it again right now, only the second time. Have got some more hands on the way but its growing on me. Maybe I'll just change the flightmaster subdial hands back to normal Speedie ones. I probably should have been testing it the last couple of days but keep getting distracted by the moonphase Speedie I finished just before this.

Thanks Al for confirmation about the Alaska hands.