Forums Latest Members

Racing dial color choice opinion

1. nicosuave1 Nov 13, 2018

I am looking to purchase a new racing speedmaster, but am hung up on the dial color choices! I am not in a position to see them in person..but let us discuss?

-black with orange: for a high end watch, I want more luxury/elegance than hard core sport mode. so no on this.

-black/black with white hands: I have an 8500 42mm PO already, which is a classic black dial piece, to go this route seems redundant, and with the checkered minute markers also being white, and the lack of ANY orange accents (it would be a contender if the tip of the seconds hand and "speedmaster" writing was orange, like my PO)
    makes this a no.

-white with black sub dials: I already have a panda Breitling Colt automatic chronograph...so no.

-gray dial with the silver sub dials, reference 329.23.44.51.06.001 is the winner for me, but it is so hard to find pictures of it online that are not stock photos.
    I have a couple issues with the gray dial though. Please help!
    1) The gray color...is it a wash out depressing gray, or is it a striking dark gray (like nearly black?)
    2) It has this gold bezel and silver nitride ring, as opposed to ceramic for the ring...is this really enough gold to warrant printing "ceragold" on the back? And will it look cheesy in person? And the gray ring, does it match proper?
    3) The strap, I am a bracelet fellow. I prefer the metal bracelet on the other variants, but this isn't paired with one. Instead, it comes with a gray leather strap...wa wa waaa. So, I would buy the bracelet and pair it up. But would it go with the gold bezel and gray dial?

I just need help making this decision. I thank you in advance for your help!

2. CPRwatch Nov 13, 2018

Pity about the Orange black combo being discounted , to me it sets the benchmark for racing dials . image.jpeg

Steve88M3, jB1128 and lustrousaurus like this.
  3. nicosuave1 Nov 13, 2018

no no the new 2018 model is what I'm looking at and asking for help with!

but that is a nice piece you have there :)

That bright orange doesn't bug you now and then? That's a lot of orange the central chrono second hand is throwing down there

4. Bushido Nov 13, 2018

My favorite is probably the grey dial with Sedna Gold. I thought the little bit of gold contrasted wonderfully with the grey dial. Next would be the white dial with black subdials.

As to the grey with Sedna: I didn't find the color washed out at all. In my opinion, there is just enough flash to the watch but it is subtle, which I like. Also, due to the steel case, I think it would look just fine on the bracelet.
    IMG_20171227_142653.jpg

5. CPRwatch Nov 13, 2018

I didn't realise you meant the 2018 racing dials & No ,I prefer the Orange over any other racing dial colour configuration .Good luck with whichever racing dial you choose though .

6. nicosuave1 Nov 13, 2018

Thanks! I do love the way your watch looks there! I'm just falling head over heels for omega lately!

7. nicosuave1 Nov 13, 2018

That is the picture and anecdote I needed. Moving forward! It's a little pricier...but what's more costly, $1700 now, or having the wrong watch for the rest of your life?

8. WatchShopping Nov 13, 2018

The orange color one is definitely more sportsy like you said. It looks really nice in person though.

I personally don't find the grey to be washed out, but it isn't exactly striking dark grey either. I'll get some additional photos of the watch for you to check out later on. =)

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 5.07.59 PM.jpg IMG_2218.jpg
    Dero13 likes this.
  9. Bushido Nov 13, 2018

Happy I could put my wrist shots to good use and glad I could help!

10. nicosuave1 Nov 14, 2018

Ok thank you I do want to see as many pictures as possible of all the dial variants before I pull any triggers! Thank you so much again

11. WatchShopping Nov 19, 2018

Hey,

I have attached photos of the 329.23.44.51.06.001 below for you to view. =)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg
  12. haqq777 Nov 19, 2018

As many have mentioned above, there is something about orange accents in the dial ::love:: - my choice for racing will be the black/orange combo with vintage racing straps.

simonsays likes this.
  13. nicosuave1 Nov 19, 2018

I think in some light the gray looks fantastic. In direct light, it is too dull for me. And darn it that strap just is not fooling me, it's not real alligator.
    I really appreciate the photos, glad I got a better look before ordering! Thank you so much. I think I'm going for a Panerai

14. WatchShopping Nov 27, 2018

Hey no problem! I'm glad I was able to help. =)

15. cornishgiant Nov 28, 2018

For me there is no doubt, it’s the white dial one. There is one sat in the windows of my local jewellers and iNEED it!! I also need the winning lottery tickets....

42EE86D7-05D5-43B1-909C-3285FC23DA78.png
    Wetworks and nicosuave1 like this.
  16. Baz9614 Nov 28, 2018

It looked like a straight lug in the first pic and I got all excited! :unsure:

17. nicosuave1 Nov 30, 2018

It was a bit bipolar but I ended up with a panerai 1392. It arrived today. I realized from my Omega PO that 42mm is the limit for my 7" wrist.

I must say looking at this pam..the level of craftsmanship is second to none. The box and packaging are somewhat minimal for this price range compared to omega, but the product itself..you know where the money went. There's some exclusivity to it also, I got number 0038 out of 2000! The croco strap..hand made in Austria..simply the finest strap I've ever seen.

My 44mm breitling is pushing it but still works. Just gonna stick to 42's from now on. I had a rolex hulk before and it was too small! 42 is the size for me.

Even though it is off topic I promise to post a whole set of pictures tomorrow morning of the collection. Stay tuned!

18. Bushido Nov 30, 2018

Congratulations on the Pam! It's certainly in a completely different direction from the Speedy Racing but that's awesome. Looking forward to the pics.

19. nicosuave1 Nov 30, 2018

@cornishgiant the white dial racing chrono is the one. If only I didn't already have a panda chrono one would find a home with me.

teaser
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ok here we go, before the boxes...first to last here
    1st watch ever owned: fossil titanium chrono from late 90's. This thing is tiny, like 38mm.
    [​IMG]

2nd watch: 44mm Luminox steel PVD pro diver. college graduation present to myself in 2006. Put a orange/yellow leather strap on it recently after servicing. I really like this piece it's been through a lot with me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3rd watch is a 44mm Breitling Colt automatic 7750 chrono.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's your Omega PO 8500 42mm, it's what I got married in. Also been through a lot with this!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the PAM01392 that just joined the crowd. This is 42mm as well. I will say the dial is hard to capture in photos. The blue pops more in photos than it does in real life. In reality it is a pleasant little splash. Also because of the lack of a large bezel like the other watches the dial is proportionally larger, the dial in a 44 or above mm in this design would be way too big for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Edited Nov 30, 2018
    pault8084 likes this.
  20. cornishgiant Nov 30, 2018

Very very nice. I think there may be other PAMs that is go for ahead of that, but if it found its way home with, I wouldn’t take it off often! Good buy!