Forums Latest Members

Quick question for those with a cell phone for work

1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 22, 2018

Company my wife works for (large multinational with annual sales in the billons of $) has announced some changes to the way they handle cell phones for employees. Right now she has a company issued cell phone that the company pays the plan and all expenses for, but they have said that they are no longer paying for company cell phones directly. To meet "modern business practices" as they say in the note issued to employees, you will use your own personal cell phone for work, which will require installing software on the phone used to access company networks, and you would be responsible for all costs associated with this phone.

They will be giving a stipend to help pay for use of your own personal cell phone. This stipend is quite small, and will not cover the cost of a monthly plan here - it will also be a taxable benefit.

It's been quite a while since I had a company issued cell phone, and when I did have one everything was paid for by the company - purchase of the phone and all costs associated with it.

I would be interested to know how widespread this is.

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 22, 2018

I use my personal phone a d am able to expense a portion of it. The amount I can expense would cover a very modest cell phone plan here in Canada.

The first company I worked for that did this was around 2008. At that time, you had their choice of company phone or personal phone and every company since has bee .the same until about two years ago at which point it was no longer a choice. There was still a choice. You could opt not to expense and use your own phone and just not use one for business use... but good luck lasting in this day and age without one, in most industries.

The software is also a requirement. Some are more intrusive than others .

Baz9614 likes this.
  3. Davidt Nov 22, 2018

There is no way that would get past the idea stage at my place.

Kmart, rcs914, isaac.owen.nz and 6 others like this.
  4. Davidt Nov 22, 2018

What if your break your personal phone while using it for business?

What if the security of your phone is compromised whilst being used for personal reasons which in turn compromises your work data?

For work/life balance how are you meant to switch off if your personal phone must be your work phone?

I could go on and on but it sounds ludicrous to me.

Kmart, rcs914, CTS-V and 8 others like this.
  5. jimmyd13 Nov 22, 2018

Utterly ridiculous and absolutely not standard practice.

Expanding on my initial disbelief:

Who's responsible for the security of information held on the phone?
    Are these private phones expected to connect to office WiFi or common files?
    What about compatibility across the system? There'll be a mix of iOS, Android and other systems - how are users planning to exchange contact cards etc?

That's just the first few thoughts but I can think of half a dozen more practical reasons too.

Edited Nov 22, 2018
    Kmart, George.A, murph and 6 others like this.
  6. kkt Nov 22, 2018

Tradespeople, mechanics, carpenters, etc., expect to provide their own tools, and they buy them to suit themselves. That's usually written into their contract. Most other employees use the tools their workplace provides. If they want you to use it, they should be providing it. DavidT's points are also important. Employees should be able to turn their work phone off when they're not working or on call.

Caliber561 and Foo2rama like this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 22, 2018

I should add that for many, this was a positive development because at that time, most people I knew were carrying two phones. You couldn't use a personal phone for work, and you couldnt use a work phone for personal things without falling under the watchful eye of Corp IT.

8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Nov 22, 2018

I might be able to see this (possibly) working on a dual sim phone where you have one sim for business and another for personal use. However, what I don't like is a) the "software" that the company says is mandatory to access the company networks and b) that the company does not seem to be willing to provide a company sim and carry the costs of legitimate useage for company business.

That's apart from the insidious idea that an employee should be available 24/7. I would also baulk at the idea of having my "private" cellphone number given out to a very wide community outside my control :thumbsdown:

Nathan1967 likes this.
  9. Kapka Nov 22, 2018

Sounds like something that companies did like 10-15 years ago. I had similar deal back then but did not have big need of a cell phone in my daily work. I was using mostly landline phone back then but nowdays, landline phones are as goos as gone, at least in Scandinavia. Very few companies are using them and in that case they are connected to the laptop. On top of that, the data plans for cellphones are very cheap so most companies don’t care if you use your work phone for private purposes as well.

Regardless of the cost, if the cell phone is required tool in your daily work, it should be provided as every other needed tool.

And then you have the whole moral “privacy” issue. Why should I always be available on my private phone? Anyone working in the company can mail, text or call you at any time..

Very strange decisions in my opinion..but I guess that she is not the only one involved in the so called “modern business practice “..

superfly likes this.
  10. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Nov 22, 2018

It’s called BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) and it’s increasingly common in my experience.

My willingness to accept and use it would depend on how much of my work was done on my mobile or how business critical it is to use a mobile.

My client is a global investment bank, and they have BYOD. All I use it for is email/calendar which required installing a security certificate while on the work WiFi and then installing an email client from the App Store (they use Blackberry Work suit). It’s handy, especially for things like checking your calendar when out at lunch to see if it matters if you get back a little later or when working from home and you’re not glued to the laptop.

kov likes this.
  11. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Nov 22, 2018

Multi billion dollar sales company cannot afford the $30 a month for a phone with unlimited call, texts, and data?

kkt likes this.
  12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 22, 2018

Not in Canada, ain't no $30.

Kmart, Uniqez, Faz and 4 others like this.
  13. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Nov 22, 2018

There is always finding a landline/pay phone (if one can be found) and calling work collect.

14. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Nov 22, 2018

Sometimes I forget about the costs associated with living in a utopia

oddboy and gemini4 like this.
  15. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Nov 22, 2018

Even when said multibillion dollar sales company purchases phones/plans in bulk for its employees?

16. seekingseaquest Nov 22, 2018

Both my previous company and my current company have this policy, but use of the phone for work purposes is generally limited to email and calendar. Same security requirements as @Tiny Iota mentioned above. I think it’s fine, but it doesn’t cost me much money out of pocket.

17. 10mmauto Nov 22, 2018

BYOD. It is becoming very common in business. Tablets and laptops also. My wife's healthcare company went to it a few years ago.

When I was working, had I been given the choice to have one phone instead of the two I carried for years, I'd have gone with the one phone in a second. (And I am a tech guy and I know most of the arguments against it. They can all be adequately addressed.)

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. Longbow Nov 22, 2018

The BYOD is pretty widespread in my company but not the being responsible for all (business) costs associated with the phone. My company Smartphone is dual-SIM but our local works council blocked the second SIM slot being used for private use on the grounds that the company would likely abuse the access to data and while it is a bit of an inconvenience I have to say German data protection/privacy norms are on the right side of this topic.

I don't suppose the senior execs that dreamt up that idea will be dipping into their own pockets to pay corporate expenses.

19. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 22, 2018

I work for a local JV of a large multi national, and these guys are thrifty to Put it mildly. But sales people are given a phone and the plan paid for, though here this is probably only about US$30 per month and the device $250.
    I think many accountants will try to save a dollar anywhere and know most people do not want to carry 2 phones.

20. Jantar Nov 22, 2018

My work does this as well. However there is a fair amount of resistance to the idea. One other thing is that the phone and data on it become discoverable in the event of legal action against the company.