Forums Latest Members
  1. blubarb Dec 21, 2016

Can a few FOIS owners check their commemorative boxes for me and let me know if there is any rattle or excessive movement in the hinge? Making a sound on opening or closing or should the travel of the lid be silent?

2. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Dec 22, 2016

Well the box of my FOIS makes some rattle, too.
    Sounds like there is a little chain inside ...

3. blubarb Dec 22, 2016

Yes, the hinges appear to free float and knock against the sides - but I am wondering if this is common or is related to wear. Here's a video of what I mean:

4. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Dec 22, 2016

That looks like deliberate compliance to ensure free movement of the hinge.

5. blubarb Dec 22, 2016

It does, but if you close the lid and shake the box you can hear it even within the outer box :thumbsdown:

6. drhex Dec 22, 2016

I can check tonight but this seems to be how it is constructed. Don't forget that these boxes aren't really thought as daily storage but more as a delivery package.

7. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Dec 22, 2016

I'm saying this with respect . . . don't shake the box then. I'd not like to think that your pleasure in the owning the watch was being undermined by what seems to me a non-issue.

8. blubarb Dec 22, 2016

I suppose, in a utilitarian sense, that's correct to a point; still, looking at the monster Moonwatch box though I wonder what they are up to and that,I might add, is my favourite box.

Edited Dec 22, 2016
  9. blubarb Dec 22, 2016

Haha...no issue or offence taken and yes it's a definite non issue, and doesn't diminish my enjoyment in the watch one iota, just curious if they are all built to this same standard - seems like a quality issue even if somewhat a minor one. But then when I think of the red faux leather boxes this is leaps and bounds above. As I say, just curious as I couldn't work out at first where the rattle was coming from

:):thumbsup: