Quick cleanup of Roy Roger's 1952 Omega

I have an easy way to mask off the dial, next time you can see if it works for you too. Apply tape over the whole front of the watch including the crystal and bezel and push it down firmly everywhere, especially the bezel. Then run a sharp razor blade or exacto knife around the outer edge of the crystal, where it meets the bezel. Usually there is a little crease there to guide the blade so that you can cut through the tape only. Then just peel off the inner disk of tape.

Look what I found, Roy Rogers did actually own an Omega watch.
(I think this might make Janice&Fred's 1952 watch all that more valuable.)

It sold for $3000 in 2010 at a Christie's Auction.

Described as: "AN OMEGA WATCH Chronometer inscribed Presented to Roy Rogers and Trigger in appreciation of their fine contribution in showmanship and entertainment 1950 Shrine convention Francis Stewart Director General".

https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-5338134

Roy-Rogers-Omega-watch.jpg

Too bad the dial was "refinished by monkeys".

(An aside, I used to use that phrase a lot, and someone accused me of racism! I said, "dude, back off, I meant actual monkeys!")

This pic would be awesome if Trigger were wearing a watch.

Unfortunately, my photoshop skills are less than adequate.
perhaps he's wearing a pocket watch...

where I will leave up to you

I think I found the "holy grail" of Roy Rogers watches.
This appears to be the watch he wore most often.
You can see it on his wrist in the photo of him and Dale Evans below.

It was made in the 1940's and sold for $9500 on the 1st Dibs website.
https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/wat...om-estate-roy-rogers-king-cowboys/id-j_25072/

Description says: "Handmade sterling silver and gold watch that belonged to Roy Rogers, King of the Cowboys. Roy purchased this watch on a fishing trip to Mexico. Emblems in gold depict the insignias of the US and Mexico. Rubies on the buckle and keeper. Metals are in excellent condition; leather strap is delicate. Cleaned and in working condition. Documentation of provenance available to purchaser."

Roy-Rogers-watch-1-sm.jpg Roy-Rogers-watch-5.jpg Roy-Rogers-watch-wearing.jpg

Documentation of provenance available to purchaser."

Mine came with the same and included a half-used stick of red lipstick of Dale's. Luckily the picture of Roy wearing my watch in your first picture is much clearer and more evident than the picture above of this gaudy lesser time piece.

I have an Omega vintage watch from the same 1950 Shrine Convention! It was given to my grandfather Ken Hovey for selling more tickets to the event than any other Shriner. But it's a very different model than the one given to Roy Rogers. I'm a complete newbie and was so excited to find this forum and community as I've been trying to identify the watch for a long time with no success. The serial numbers don't turn up anything on the web, and I haven't had any luck on the Omega website or at a jeweler. Can't find any similar photos on the web - one main difference seems to be the two gold marks in the 12 spot instead of the number 12. Frankly, I don't even know if it's authentic, but the story is the most important thing to our family. But it's doubtful they would have given Roy Rogers a real Omega and my grandfather a fake one!
I would be so deeply grateful if someone can help me figure out the provenance of this watch. It was my grandfather's proudest possession and he wore it every day. He always talked about it being "the thinnest watch made" (have no idea if that's true, but that's my grandpa the salesman!) I believe the band is not original - I think he upgraded it to make it look more fancy. Have a look at the photos and anything you can tell me about this watch would be a true gift and allow us to celebrate it even more. 2021-01-13 07.16.05.jpg 2021-01-13 07.14.24.jpg 2021-01-13 07.15.05.jpg 2021-01-09 16.31.56.jpg 2021-01-09 16.31.52.jpg

Frankly, I don't even know if it's authentic,

You have a photo of it opened and clearly being held in a watch holding device yet you are not sure if it's authentic?

That's what I thought too. The only reason I thought it was a possibility because I can't find a similar model anywhere. The jeweler/watch restorer was pretty convinced it was real, but you never know!

According to one online serial lookup site it's around 1948-49. 👍

As seen by the before pictures, this watch was given to Roy by Dale. I am certain of this as I checked and no one else in 1952 was named Dale. Or since.

Anyways the thing had lots of scratches and dings in the acrylic crystal and was grungy from cooking beans on camp fires out in the desert back in the day, along with cleaning off the horse shit from his boots before strumming a few tunes and crawling into the sleeping bag under the stars.

IMG_3452.jpg
IMG_3450.jpg

First thing was to mask off the watch so I could sand the acrylic crystal to remove the deep marks then polish her clear.

Kind of a pain in the butt to get the masking tape to cooperate and go 'round in a circle but once done I can gently sand the crystal smooth, keeping the 400 grit sand paper flat and even so the crystal doesn't become optically distorted.

IMG_3453.jpg IMG_3454.jpg

Once that's done, next is dusting off the watch and giving the crystal a good long polishing while the masking tape is still on. This keeps the case from getting rubbed down by the polish as well as keeping compound from caking up around the crown. I usually polish in straight lines, but periodically alternate the clock position of the watch so things come out even and again to avoid optical distortion. Usually the results are satisfying. Once done I remove the tape and clean off the watch with a damp cloth. However this watch had so much prairie grunge on it I used alcohol and a small paint brush to get toe goop out of those hard to get places. Finally I used one of those jewelry polishing cloths impregnated with mild compound to spiff up the case. Not too bad for a 69 year old watch. She still has some specks on the inside of the crystal and some loose particles on the dial so next time I'm near the watch maker's shop I will ask him to pop off the crystal and blow or rodico the thing clean. The crown obviously is not original but for what I paid for this thing I don't care 😁

IMG_3465.jpg
FANTASTIC WORKS GREAT THANKS TO SHOW YOUT GOOD WORKS

Thank you so much. Any idea of the model? That's the thing that has me stumped...

The info you need is stamped in the caseback. Your Omega is an uncommon ref 14190. There's an example listed on eBay currently.

The dial of your Omega has been refinished, but otherwise appears original. The movement should be a cal 360.

Art

I really LIKE the quality of these inscriptions

I am skeptical.
Roy did not wear a watch. He looked up at the sun or the moon to tell the time.
Or most likely, he asked TRIGGER AND TRIGGER WOULD STAMP HIS FOOT TO THE CORRECT TIME.

PS: This was a great post just to see the Roy watch the parade picture of Roy.
Thanks.