Forums Latest Members

Questions regarding OF protocol.

1. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Jul 10, 2015

Can someone explain the dibs systems as it pertains to this forum. Is it just an informal first right of refusal?

Also, is it proper/ok to message members and ask if they want to sell a particular watch? This comes to mind in particular on the WRUW thread.

Impondering

2. calalum Jul 10, 2015

I'm pretty sure that it is really tongue in cheek and is really just an indication that the poster likes the piece in question. Certainly the owner is not bound in any way. A lot of guys tend to sell in private circles to their friends and strangers posting a dibs is not likely to change that.

3. E-diddy Jul 10, 2015

agree with @calalum. "dibs" just a way for us to indicate that we really like a piece.

4. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jul 10, 2015

I always assumed dibs was legally binding and required a 100% down payment! Guess I'm due a few refunds. ;)

5. alam Jul 10, 2015

What??!!!! Is not legally binding???!!!! crap!!! I want my money back!!!!

CajunTiger likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Jul 10, 2015

Dibs is informal for sure, and definitely a way to express how nice a new watch purchase of another member is. However, it is very cool when the owner of that watch decides to move it on and contacts the member who claimed dibs first.

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 10, 2015

I did the "Dibs" once and bought the watch when the owner moved it on. To my mind, that gives the dibser first refusal but is not exclusive - asking price or free for all.

Hijak likes this.
  8. calalum Jul 10, 2015

Maybe the board needs an app to store all of the dibs requests. I don't remember my posts from last week so I certainly would have a hard time remembering if someone was actually interested in something that I went to sell (part of the hazards of getting older). You tech guys should figure that one out.

9. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 10, 2015

Agree with this. I consider it to be a bit of a gentlemen's agreement.

I've been given the opportunity to exercise a "dibs", and have also offered the opportunity when selling.

Waiting for a reply on one now in fact. ;)

UncleBuck likes this.
  10. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 10, 2015

Personally, I would not post dibs unless I was genuinely interested in buying no matter how much I liked the watch

11. Geordie Jul 10, 2015

Just a way of saying " I would like to own that" I'm sure if someone was interested enough they would PM you if you indicated you where selling.

12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 10, 2015

I dibsed a nice watch and the Gentleman was kind enough to thank me for my appreciation, to offer me 1st shot and give me favorable pricing.
    Seemed right............., now one of my favorites!

Kind of how we do things here, a band of extraordinary gentlemen.

shaun is right though, if you aren't interested in buying, just say NFW!

Giff2577 and Darlinboy like this.
  13. timjohn Jul 11, 2015

The dibs rule is great -- I dibs'd a beaut, the owner PM'd me, and now I'm trying to work out the best way to get it from the U.S. To Australia...

14. Difeer Jul 11, 2015

I dibs watches only when I am genuinely interested in buying them mainly because, as mentioned, the gentlemen in this forum do pay attention to the people who dibs their watches. So it would be rude to keep dibsing without the actual intention to buy. However, I wouldn't be offended if the owner doesn't sell to me. We can always harass the next person who owns it :p

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 11, 2015

Having received a dibs, placed a few and currently have a few dibs attached to watches I own. As @UncleBuck and all above have said a great part of this forum.

A friendly PM is always welcomed from a fellow member, I have received nothing but great help and advice from several members here that I thank the forum for.

(Dibs in view can all ready have been pre dibs, and there is also pre purchase dibs so you have dibs on a watch before the owner actually has the watch)

Nobel Prize likes this.
  16. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jul 11, 2015

Dibs on this thread!

17. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 11, 2015

That would translate into hijacking the thread! Another popular pastime on this lovely forum. :D

18. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 11, 2015

You'll be pleased to know that "dibs" are in fact recorded each and every time.

It's a unique OF feature called a "post". ;)

Nobel Prize and Hijak like this.
  19. Mothra Jul 11, 2015

I've dibsed and then bought several when followed up, and there was one I wasn't in a position to buy when it arose that still upsets me now.

20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 11, 2015

Best way is to send it to me and I just keep it on consignment until you come to NYC