Forums Latest Members
  1. halacious Jun 8, 2016

*I hope I am not abusing the good will of this forum with my questions- if so, please feel free to ignore me. I have read the stickies*

Greeting Omega forums members! I've been lurking for a while and I must say I'm very impressed with the board and its members.

My loving wife decided to give me a Vintage Rolex for my anniversary. Beautiful watch- but I had to tell her I don't think I'm a Rolex man.

Having been a fan of fine watches for years, I've decided to take the plunge and buy a big boy watch. I've vaguely knew there was and an Omega diver that I like the look of, and now after doing my research I realize it is the classic 2254.50. I love the clean lines, the triangle indices and of course the sword hands make A bold statement. I am hoping you will all tell me that is a great watch it worth the money. Especially since it is about $1000 more than I wanted to spend :)

OK enough of the preamble. Here are my questions:

1. Where's the best place (website )to buy this watch? I don't see any available in this forum's for sale ads. I've been on Chrono24 website and have seen prices from 2000 to 2700. I've seen some nice deals on the cheaper end from sellers in Tokyo. I live in NYC and would love to buy local- but looks like that might cost me $500+ or more. Side note- anybody know a watch repair guy in NYC?

2. Should I be concerned about fakes? What should I look out for? Also what are common scams?

3. I'm planning on using this as a daily driver. I know in my lifestyle that the case will get dinged up a bit, which I am fine with. Is the bezel insert and the rest to watch up to the challenge?

Thanks in advance to this awesome forum and its members. Any advice or thoughts at all is appreciated. Almost can't wait to get my next one (a vintage Omega dress watch of course)

2. sky21 Jun 8, 2016

Hello and welcome, you'll be even more welcome if you choose a photo for your avatar and maybe post some watch photos if you still have that Rolex. The Seamaster 2254.50 is a very well loved watch around here, perhaps read through this thread.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/talk-me-out-of-buying-a-2254-50.40553/

Also, there are 2 of this exact watch for sale on this forum right now if you're interested. I am not affiliated with the seller at all, I'm merely pointing them out to you.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-professional-sword-hands-300m-2254-50-pe103.40645/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-professional-sword-hands-300m-2254-50-pe102.40595/

halacious, MikiJ and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 8, 2016

Boom!

MikiJ likes this.
  4. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 8, 2016

Just an idea, maybe consider the quartz version - the 2064.50/2264.50. Pretty well regarded, not quite as costly on the used market and a very nice daily beater :cool:

5. halacious Jun 8, 2016

6. halacious Jun 8, 2016

Photos above as requested. And I even got an avatar pic!

It's really a pretty watch. Oyster perpetual from the 1950s per the dealer that sold it to her. I couldn't take the band off for a model or serial number. The band is a 7502 with "57" stamped on the end links. The clasp is dated 1967- so watch may date from then too.

Thanks for the advice. I've read those posts before but got lost in the bathroom remodeling thread- lume on the toilet- brilliant!!!

Basically was wondering if I was going to be ripped off and also making sure my purchase was a good one. Sounds like it is!

Mouse- I like my quartz watches but I'm really looking to purchase something of an heirloom. Got be automatic :)

7. leetse2 Jun 8, 2016

Love the Oyster Perpetual, classic watch that will never go out of style. Same with the 2254.50. One site that you need to use:

www.watchrecon.com

8. halacious Jun 8, 2016

Thanks for your help. Beautiful watch. 36mm feels tiny on my wrist- but looks good.