Forums Latest Members
  1. florianw Aug 10, 2013

Hi folks,

I am thinking of buying this Seamaster 2913-2 with #163.... from 1958. From my limited knowledge the watch looks pretty nice and original besides the crown which seems to be a later replacement.

Do you have any comments or input? Thx for everything can tell me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 10, 2013

Looks nice but the bezel looks refinished (though nicely done). It looks similar to the 2913 for sale by brevetwatches.com in Germany. If it is the same watch then based on those other pictures am pretty confident it is a redone bezel.

3. florianw Aug 10, 2013

Yeah, it is that watch. But I have carefully checked the bezel and fonts and serifs do exactly look like the ones from other 2913 I found on the web. What exactly is making you suspicious on that bezel?

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 10, 2013

Appears fully intact in comparison to the rest of the case, the finish is too matte, and the printing is a bit too thin. At that level of quality it is probably one that was done by Aldo in Italy.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 10, 2013

A little OT, but is there someone other than Aldo that does these?

Cheers, Al

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 10, 2013

No ones does it with the consistency that Aldo does. As nice as his work is though you can still tell it apart from an original bezel.

7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 11, 2013

Apparently STS send bezels to Aldo, as he can do them better than they can. I should stress, however, that a dealer told me that based on a repair he wanted - I haven't confirmed it with STS myself.

8. florianw Aug 11, 2013

I can follow your thoughts. Thx a lot for your input!

On the other hand I have seen scans of Aldo's bezel with different fonts of the numbers. I will try to make some macro photos of the numbers I have here and maybe then we can compare them more easy.

9. florianw Aug 11, 2013

Here are some scans. Due to technical problems with iPad I cannot put all scans in one post. sorry for that.

[​IMG]

10. florianw Aug 11, 2013

[​IMG]

11. florianw Aug 11, 2013

It' working again....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fonts of the bezels from Aldo which I have found in the web have slightly different fonts from my point of view. Especcially the short stroke of the "1" is different. Also Aldo's 2 appears thinner. Or does Aldo have used different fonts? Anyway, it would be great if you could give me your opinions on the bezel again. Thx.

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 11, 2013

It is refinished - the close up photos do not really alter my original comments. Aldo's bezel had some variance - I am not sure it is Aldo's work but I am sure it is refinished.

Here are pictures from a sales listing by the seller and I think you can see that the bezel printing is quite thin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. florianw Aug 11, 2013

Thank you so much for your confirmation :)

In regard of that refinished bezel do you think the requested price is reasonable? As I mostly collect vintage Rolex I am not so familiar with market prices of vintage Omega models.

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 11, 2013

At the asking price, the bezel has to be an intact and original one.

15. kox Aug 11, 2013

I completely agree with MSNWatch on this one. Font is to thin, the inlay is not concave in shape and it's to matte with no trace of use at all.
    Here's a few pics of one of mine to compare with. All original, not re-done.
    I do think that "yours" is a really nice one besides the bezel. And the -2 reference is a rare bird. Go for it if you like it, but I would try to get the price somewhat below 4.500 euro.
    /Kim

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  16. florianw Aug 11, 2013