Forums Latest Members
  1. papa_giorgio Aug 22, 2012

Hi, I just acquired an old Constellation from my father who just past. I'm wondering if the experts here can let me know what year this is and approximately how much it is worth.

thanks in advance.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

2. bob martian Aug 22, 2012

I am sorry for your loss. That watch is a 20th century official Omega Connie. It is worth approximately 75- to 90 quarts of oil. of course that is assuming were talking synthetic. :thumbsup:

MKelley likes this.
  3. papa_giorgio Aug 22, 2012

Thanks Bob, is it worth for me to get it restored, and what am I looking at in terms of cost to completely overhaul it. I find it kind of odd to see a magnification on the glass, could it have been replaced? Or is that how it came out of the factory? I'd imagine I'll need a new crystal since there's a slight crack between 5 and 6 o'clock.

Forgive my ignorance, what's 75-90 quarts of oil in USD? =)

4. Mary255 Aug 22, 2012

<< ... It is worth approximately 75- to 90 quarts of oil. of course that is assuming were talking synthetic. :thumbsup: >>

I think Bob was just joking.

Unfortunately I am a newbie too, so I am not much of any help. :(

5. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 22, 2012

Looks like your watch has an original dial. Depending on the condition of the dial, the movement and case, it varies from $650 to $1400 on eBay. Leave the dial alone until you show better pics of it for us to evaluate.

papa_giorgio likes this.
  6. bob martian Aug 22, 2012

yes, I was joking with my appraisal. but the value of 90 quarts synthetic is about the same as the watch. No joke, the watch is a beauty and worth keeping. You could get it serviced, meaning oiled, but other than that I wouldn't touch it. You may want to switch the crown out for the traditional one. However, if that was my Dad's watch I wouldn't touch it. Just wipe some of the grime off of it with some alcohol and get a new band.

MKelley and papa_giorgio like this.
  7. papa_giorgio Aug 23, 2012

Hey Bob, the glass looks to be pretty beat up and there's a small crack at the bottom. I also don't know if it's the original because it has a magnification window over the date. So a little rubbing alcohol will get rid of that grime around the bezel?

Anyway, Hoipolloi here's a higher resolution photo, I'm wondering if I should at least change out the glass. Is there a special tool I can get from amazon to unscrew the back to see what movement is in there?

photo.JPG

8. bob martian Aug 23, 2012

http://www.amazon.com/PCS-Watch-Too...id=1345782490&sr=8-15&keywords=watch+tool+kit

That is a decent starter tool set from Amazon. Alcohol will clean up the grime, you can polish the case and crystal with toothpaste. For deep scratches and scrapes on the crystal you could use Polywatch. Which another forum member discussed in another post earlier today. That crack wouldn't bother me, but you could replace it you want.

9. Steve Aug 24, 2012

Hi, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your sad loss, but a lovely watch to remember your Father by. I would get the crystal replaced just in case you got moisture inside which could damage your watch.

10. alam Aug 24, 2012

well, that translates to $7.80 to $16.90 a quart of oil - using a average of 83 quarts as Bob suggested. :confused:

11. bob martian Aug 24, 2012

I figured $8 a quart. at around $600- to $700. I can't see that watch going for $1400, but you never know

12. alam Aug 24, 2012

In Europe, a quart of oil is 3X the US price - so, $16/quart is the Euro answer :D

13. papa_giorgio Aug 26, 2012

Another newbie question... How do you set the date? I don't feel a middle click out. Is it broken, or do I have to wind the hands for 24 hours to advance the date?

14. hang10 Aug 26, 2012

From one newbie to another, typically on pre quickset movements you advance hands until date changes at 12 o'clock, then rewind hands a few hours to say 9 o'clock (you should hear a click but date shouldn't go backwards) then advance hands again to 12... and repeat process cycling between 9 and 12 as needed to get to the desired date. Hope this helps. Regards