Forums Latest Members

Questions for you Longines Experts

1. Jo3Daddy Mar 2, 2019

Hey all sorry don't know much about Longines watches at all so was hoping someone with more knowledge could tell me if the below watches are legit or not exactly all they are cracked up to be. I had a friend send me these as he was looking to buy a couple vintage Longines and thought they were a decent price but i really don't know what to look for in these links.

https://awadwatches.com/product/1950s-vintage-longines-conquest-calendar-automatic-gold-capped/

https://awadwatches.com/product/vintage-longines-ref-6995-cal-23zs-35mm-box-papers-from-1965/

2. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Mar 2, 2019

3. Jo3Daddy Mar 2, 2019

Good to know i guess. Curious then if the ebay prices would be considered decent or still above average to pay.

4. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Mar 3, 2019

I’ve been a longtime admirer of Longines; classic, elegant vintage dress watches.

They had a good reputation and I’ve recently started taking an actual interest in them and bought two hand winders; one with a 280 movement and a second with a 284 movement (no date or subdial - both with a sweep second - so I don’t have to bother adjusting the date) both about 50 years old.

I’m impressed with mine. A 9ct for $400 and a stainless steel for $200, both in VGC, although I opted for a service and new crystal on one. Mine are both accurate and have an exceptionally good power reserve.

So, nice classic 60s/70s style watches, great movements and, currently, available and affordable

5. JohnSteed Mar 3, 2019

Ppl take EBAY both ways (good n bad) so while knowing EBAY price, that’s a floor not ceiling in terms of price IMHO. THAT Watch sold now so moot?

Look for the movement as well, and better @Jo3Daddy if you also search here, private sale forum, on OF for more comparison points.

Good luck!!

6. Dan S Mar 3, 2019

They were no-reserve auctions, so one wouldn't generally expect the final price to be higher than fair market value unless there was shill bidding. To get more comps, you can use the advanced search feature of eBay to search for sold listings.

In any case, it seems that the dealer's asking prices were many times higher than buyers were willing to pay.

7. Jo3Daddy Mar 4, 2019

Thanks for the info. At Least it helps me understand it a bit. Have never really been into Longines watches especially the more current ones as they just don't really appeal to me. But looking at some of the vintage conquest and flagship watches those are really stunning and look to be well made with a very nice movement. I asked my friend to just create an account here so he can start his own research on his vintage longines.

Dan appreciate it, i just started looking at ebay's sold listings as i didnt even know that was a feature. Only go to ebay to buy cases for my phones and ipad for me and the family. Never really thought about buying watches on there originally as to me that's a big investment that could go wrong if i can't see all the details. But i will start searching ebay more for some of the vintage pieces i am after and hopefully it will be educational and worth while.