Forums Latest Members
  1. R3D9 May 28, 2017

In doing my research on the Watchco Seamaster 300 (referring here to any watch assembled recently using Omega parts, by any watchmaker or company, including Watchco) there are a few questions I have compiled and I'm hoping the learned members of this forum can help:

1. I've noticed in some pictures that the super-luminova on the dial of these watches doesn't always match the lume on the hands... the hands often appear greener, like so:

IMG_1351.JPG

Is this just a function of the hands being more charged up in some of these photos? If this is a real thing, are all Watcho's like this?

2. Does the crown stickiness issue really go away over time? Is there a difference between the date and no-date version?

3. The case seems very, very similar to the case of the modern Speedmaster Pro. If anyone owns both watches, I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison of each watch from various angles.

4. Does anyone actually swim/dive with these variants?

Finally, besides the mesh and 1171/633, I'd appreciate if any owners of the SM300 out there would share a picture of your favourite strap on your watch.

Any other tips or things to look for when buying, or simply the singing of it's virtues, would be greatly appreciated!

vidalalex likes this.
  2. R3D9 May 28, 2017

P.S. I struggled with which forum to place this in - vintage or modern. It seemed to me most of the past threads on the subject of Watchco SM's were in the vintage forum, so I figured I'd follow suit.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 28, 2017

1-there are two dials for the date version. One has C1 lume that is more white, and the othe is C3 that is more green. The hands are C3, so what you are seeing is a mismatch. These dials aren't different part numbers, so when I have ordered dials it's a crap shoot which one I'll get. All the no date dials I've ever seen are the more green C3 version.

2-if you use the crown it will eventually wear in, but if you don't wind or set the time a lot using the crown it will be stiff for a while.

4-yes I have swam with mine. There is a thread where I pressure test one to its full rating. These can take water exposure if properly maintained.

Wearing mine right now...

4. R3D9 May 28, 2017

Thanks Al! Glad to have that mystery solved! I'm a fan of both versions, but the symmetrical dial of the no-date is my choice, so it won't be an issue.

5. micampe May 28, 2017

Here’s my favorite strap, a dark green cordovan by @jankoxxx.

My crown is not sticky and I do take it in water.

[​IMG]

surftime, alam, roryoc11 and 3 others like this.
  6. R3D9 May 28, 2017

I really like that look. One of the nice things about it's monochromatic dial is there are so many strap colour options that will work :thumbsup:

tomatopotato likes this.
  7. WurstEver May 28, 2017

Just the one angle here, flanked by a relatively old speedy and a relatively new one. You're right, the shape of the lugs in particular is quite similar to the speedmaster.
    _20170529_122250.JPG
    I tend to keep mine on the Omega Bond NATO, although I have also had it on the bracelet and quite enjoyed that look. The lume on the hands and dial on mine are different colours, just like in your photo above. But as you can see from this photo, the contrast appears different under different lighting. I've never had any stickiness in the crown. While I haven't been swimming with it yet, I had it pressure tested last week with the intention of taking it swimming soon.

I like that this watch combines classic design with wearability. I'd be hesitant to wear a vintage model for fear of damaging it. Interestingly, I have had more compliments on this watch than anything else I own.

surftime, alam, OMGRLX and 1 other person like this.
  8. WatchVaultNYC May 28, 2017

I've had 2 watchcos - my experience with both, and some anecdotal that I've read on the forum, is that the movements on Watchco SM300s are usually in need of immediate service. The "stopping dead in its tracks" kind of immediate service, so I'd factor one in if I was getting another one

nlogax likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 29, 2017

Where they Watchco watches from Watchco or "watchco" watches? I was under the impression that they fully serviced them. Whereas many called watchco could be anything.

10. WatchVaultNYC May 29, 2017

They were Watchco built

AshUK and Foo2rama like this.
  11. davidswiss May 29, 2017

I've a watchco built version. It needed a replacement crown on receipt as it wasn't waterproof when it arrived. Since then it's been fine and I use it when swimming. The movement was described as in a basic service condition, not adjusted and my local watchmaker confirmed all was well.
    I've attached a movement picture and one on it's isofrane strap which I find very comfortable. Lume seems the same for hands and dial to me. IMG_2468.jpg IMG_2672.jpg P1050162.JPG

12. idolavi May 29, 2017

Can anyone post the link to WatchCo's site here?
    I can't seem to find them on the net

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 29, 2017

14. nlogax May 29, 2017

It's an incredible watch, but it arrived from WatchCo with the movement in somewhat dubious repair: running 5mins / day fast and a really sticky crown. After a few months the crown pretty much seized up and I had to stop wearing it. Took it into @stefan for a full strip down service (inc new mainspring and new crown) it's been pretty much perfect ever since. That said, he has a fairly low opinion on the general state of repair of the movement (cal 552 no date): it's seen a lot of use. YMMV.

I wore the watch on a Bonetto Cinturini rubber deployant for a while, but then I bought a new 1171/663 bracelet, and that's where it's going to stay...

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_4505.jpg

IMG_4506.jpg

Edited May 29, 2017
    Travelller, bags1971, OMGRLX and 4 others like this.
  15. isaac.owen.nz May 29, 2017

This ones on the bay now, I like the no date and non sword hands but am I correct in that the 551 was never in the seamaster 300?
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seamaster-300-Vintage-/112405442514Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Watchco had a few new builds listed the other week too if anyones looking.

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 29, 2017

I Like how the guy calls it an ISO 6425 which wasn't set untill 1996. Then again that's the least of the issues with that eBay listing....

17. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! May 29, 2017

I'm wearing my Seamaster 300 today. I built mine with parts sourced from watchco. The lume on the dial and hands match well. I never had stem issues and I take it swimming. I really held my breath the first time I did swim with it though. It is also the watch I wear while coaching my kids' Tee ball team. Last week while placing the ball on the tee a child swung early and connected with my watch. I played it cool and didn't check for damage immediately. When I glanced down it was still ticking but there was orange paint on the bezel from the aluminum bat! By the time the game was over the orange paint had fallen off and the damage was limited to a scuffed Crystal. I was lucky that they didn't swing hard or really connect with it. I wear it on Omega mesh. I may also build a non date version in the future as it is a great balanced look. I enjoy my "WatchCo" and It's vintage counterpart! image.jpeg Photo snapped right now. The bat hit it at about the 25 minute marker. I have no plans to wear it around kids that swing hard!

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 29, 2017

Just to clarify about the crown, it's not really sticky and it's not related to the stem, but the crown seal being very tight on the case tube. Not all of them are like this, but some are very tight - if you get one of those it will take time and use to get it to loosen up.

Travelller, cvalue13, R3D9 and 2 others like this.
  19. wsfarrell May 29, 2017

Does this mean that all hands are C3, or OP's hands are C3?

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 29, 2017

Both