Forums Latest Members

Questions About Vintage Polerouter Date

1. nicks May 3, 2019

Hi, folks. Hoping to get some expert help. I am not new to watch collecting, but new to UG.

I have a black dial Polerouter Date. No outside rim on the dial, all black, marked "T Swiss T". I am confident the dial is original.

The movement is marked PAT 329805, which I understand was introduced in 1958. One of the plates is marked 1-69. I'm not sure what that means, and could use some help on that.

Second and main question is about the caseback. It has an etched (possibly highly polished) logo with the globe and "UNIVERSAL GENEVE" and "POLEROUTER", 14 sided to open, and is marked 569116/06 and 2' 637' 132. My feeling is that this caseback may be incorrect, but I am not expert.

I am really glad to have this watch. The case and dial are in great condition, the movement is clean and keeps great time. Just looking to find out more about it.

Thanks in advance for your help, best regards!

2. Xeer May 3, 2019

I think including some actual pictures of the watch will go a long way.

3. gop76 May 3, 2019

Pictures would help but:

With that ref the watch is using the nomenclature used by UG after 1964 which is consistent with the serial provided.

569xxx refers to a watch gold capped with cal 69 (or 1-69) inside.

I never saw a Polerouter with the ref 569116 but I didn't saw them all

4. nicks May 3, 2019

image.jpeg image.jpeg Thanks for the help so far. Here are a couple of pictures. Hoping that someone can comment on the case being period correct to the 1960s?

5. WhereMadnessLies May 4, 2019

6. Mazoue May 4, 2019

I was just about to suggest the very same.

Are you sure the case reference is not 569119/06?

I think that would mean that it was the gold capped (or is it plated?) version of the 869119/06, which is pictured in the reference site mentioned above. It looks absolutely correct and original to me for a 569119/06, including the stainless steel case back.

7. nicks May 4, 2019

Apologies, typo sent us down the rabbit hole... It is 569119. Thank you so much for your help.

Can't say for certain if it's plated or capped. The underside of the lugs is gold, if that's a clue -- for example the early gold-capped Omegas are steel on the bottom side of the lugs. So I am guessing plated.

I am a little surprised that UG used that kind of case back, with the 14 sides. Bit of a pain to open, comparatively.

Once again, many thanks for the help, and sorry for mistyping the number. Best regards to all.

Masterofkarate likes this.
  8. CafeRacer May 6, 2019

Nice 569119/06 ! :)
    Dont see too many of the 18k or plated -115/-119 cases.
    Looks very original (not sure about the seconds hand though...) Good to see that yours even has the original -119 crown in gold! :D
    If you can take a nice well-lit photo, id love to add it to the Reference Photo Gallery...
    Cheers.

Masterofkarate likes this.
  9. nicks May 6, 2019

Thanks for the compliments! I bought this via the Internet, and was happily surprised at the great condition when it arrived.

I'll be happy to send a picture or two -- CafeRacer, could you send me a PM with your email? I might not get to the pictures until tomorrow.

Not knowing the Polerouter world very well, I'm curious about the value. Glad to hear what you all think.

Many thanks again for all the help. Best regards.

Masterofkarate and CafeRacer like this.
  10. durri70 May 7, 2019

Any one knows how good was UG gold plated vs cold capped ? Thanks and congrats for your new watch