Forums Latest Members
  1. unfloopy Jul 21, 2018

Hi all! Well, after sending my newly acquired ref. 14381 out for service (thread here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/thoughts-on-constellation-14381.78494/), my bright self decided it would be time to get him a brother. ::facepalm1::

Anyway, I picked up this rail track Constellation (gambling a bit with crappy photos, none of the movement...) and have a few questions about it. It's a ref. 14393 1SC with cal. 561. My photos are at the bottom of the post.

- The movement looks quite worn out and certainly needs a service. In real life the parts look about the same color, but the rotor appears very dull in finish - what could cause this?
    - Is it a redial? The fonts look OK to me, but the minute markers from 5-15 appear thicker than the rest.
    - There also looks to be some sort of residue surrounding the date window (seen best in the last photo). Could this be glue?

I really appreciate any and all thoughts. As always, if more information is needed please let me know.

Thank you!

IMG_1333.jpg IMG_1335.jpg IMG_1338.jpg IMG_1339.jpg IMG_1340.jpg IMG_1343.jpg

Etp095 likes this.
  2. merchandiser Jul 21, 2018

An overarching issue could be that some moisture has gotten into your watch based on the fact that the case back gasket has dissolved over time. That could explain the dullness of the rotor, oxidation. The dial looks okay to me. Unsure about the date window. It definitely needs to be serviced.

unfloopy likes this.
  3. Sherbie Jul 22, 2018

Looks fine to me too

Needs a service, ( but dont polish the case anywhere), but the markers all look good to me ( the markers at 6, 9 and 12 O’clock are meant to be larger than the rest) . The rotor could have been replaced during a service long ago ( and i think i can see a ring (rotor wear marks) inside the case back cover

The case is nice -the lugs still have a nice edge, and there is still a bevel on the bezel.

unfloopy likes this.
  4. unfloopy Jul 22, 2018

Thanks for the response! I appreciate the insight about the moisture - in regards to the rotor, do you know if that oxidation would have any effect on its function, or is it mostly a cosmetic issue? Is it worth looking into replacing it?

Thanks for the response! I hear you loud and clear about polishing the case. :thumbsup:

I think I used the wrong term for the minute markers - minute tick marks, perhaps?

I agree on the case - it was one of the few things I was more sure about when purchasing the watch!

Do you have any thoughts on the date window?

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 22, 2018

Only a watchmaker can tell you that.
    It is quite possible that the date window fell off at one point and was ineptly glued back on. Again, a watchmaker should be able to help you with this.
    gatorcpa

unfloopy likes this.
  6. unfloopy Jul 23, 2018

@gatorcpa - I gather that it's best to bring the watch to a watchmaker... ;) Thanks for the response!

7. TropicConnie Jul 23, 2018

I can't put my finger on it but my gut feeling is it's a relatively decent redial.

8. kaisiang098 Jul 23, 2018

Case condition is nice, sharp lugs and the crown is right too. The font on the dial looks good, all you need is some polywatch and elbow grease on the crystal and it'll look great.
    And definitely send it in for servicing and replace the case back gasket. Depending on how much you paid, i would say its a pretty decent pick up!

unfloopy likes this.
  9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 24, 2018

I think if you think it is a redial, you should try and put your finger on it

unfloopy and ConElPueblo like this.